Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Third Policeman

• 24-02-2006 5:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4746918.stm
    BBC News wrote:
    More than 15,000 copies were sold in the three weeks following the Lost episode airing in the US - equalling sales of the previous six years.

That is some jump in sales, but they must have known and already have had the books printed ready for this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I read this a few months ago, before I heard about it being in Lost.
    If they put it in for a reason, and it has the significance I think it does, then it's a fairly massive spoiler.

Who else has read this? It's a great book :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Great book all right, surreal and dreamlike.
    But it's about a guy who's dead but hasn't realised it yet. "The Turn Of The Screw" is about ghosts as well. I thought one of the Lost producers or writers denied that there was any truth to the Purgatory Theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just red herrings most likely.

The publishers did know about it being featured in the show beforehand. They got lots of extra copies printed up and shipped over to the US especially.

There was a piece in the Irish Times about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The publishers did know about it being featured in the show beforehand.
    They'd have to in any case - the rights to the cover artwork would have to have been cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Is it completely sold out in Ireland? I wanted to read it before the episode but never saw it in shops. I hope it's not a huge reference and I hope it's not a huge spoiler to people who have read it. They shouldn't give too much away...there wasn't even a huge reference to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

i've said it from the start... no matter who discredits it.. they're still all dead..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Is it completely sold out in Ireland? I wanted to read it before the episode but never saw it in shops. I hope it's not a huge reference and I hope it's not a huge spoiler to people who have read it. They shouldn't give too much away...there wasn't even a huge reference to it.
    Most book shops should have it in the Irish fiction section.

It won't spoil Lost for you... but Lost has perhaps spoiled The Third Policeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

loon wrote:
    i've said it from the start... no matter who discredits it.. they're still all dead..

I've said it from the start as well but then decided no...too simple.

Perhaps it WAS going to be that they were all in purgatory but then the creators changed it because everyone thought that?

perhaps that's why the first episodes of the second series weren't GREAT (although, IMO were still very cool!)

Anyways...I really have to watch that Dharma video again..I'm sure we missed something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

i disagree, i think they know whats gonna happen up until series 4/5....

i think the problem here is meaning.. when the writers said they weren't in purgatory.. did they mean purgatory - as in catholic definition or purgatory - general limbo, not alive/dead, etc.

there is definately something supernatural going on... the only problem i have is that i can both theorise and discredit most theories..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

loon wrote:
    i disagree, i think they know whats gonna happen up until series 4/5....

i think the problem here is meaning.. when the writers said they weren't in purgatory.. did they mean purgatory - as in catholic definition or purgatory - general limbo, not alive/dead, etc.

there is definately something supernatural going on... the only problem i have is that i can both theorise and discredit most theories..

cleverly the writers are referencing fans theories whether they're true or not, so the only ones left in limbo are us the viewers

• Advertisement
Advertisement