Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ardee

Options
  • 24-02-2006 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

We're looking at buying a house in Ardee. I am from Co. Louth but don't know the town very well. What's it like as a town to live in e.g. shops, pubs, restaurants, schools, security etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What age are you?

for shops, the weekly grocery is handy with supervalu and a big centra there, plenty of newsagents too but thats about it all other shops are pointless except maybe xtravision.

You've got plenty of pubs but most of them are kips, still depends on what you like, for young crowd there's indigo bar, loud and noisy, older crowd can go to muldoons, theres loads of other bars and you would probably find one to suit you.

rolfs bistro is a posh restuarant, then you have two take aways a sit in chip/burger place in hard days night, you can get food in a few of the pubs too so theres plenty of choice, a couple of cafe style places too.

cant comment on primary schools there but i went to the secondary school and it was alright, its meant to have gone seriously down hill in the last couple of years though.

town has its fair share of no good doers but sure its probably just the same as anywhere else, the dublin/southside of the town has loads of new house and would be the best place to buy.

if it was me i wouldnt live in ardee even if i inherited a free house, i'd sell it instead but thats just my opinion,

any particular reason your looking to move to ardee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PoppyG

dont listen to here, its a brill wee town to live in! So fab, good pubs to suit everyone with good craic, new seemingly good restaurants, good atmosphere in the town, nice neighbours, nice scenery (well whats left of it with the new houses), there are a good range of shps (not much for clothes shopping mind) and a golf club etc, its a grand place to live, id live there fulltime if i could

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A friend is from Ardee but managed to get away to Drogheda <- her words. I have been there several times and find it a bit rough and smalltownish, knowwaddaimean, bud? Ardee has gone downhill, lots of young drunks etc but hey, that's the same all over Eire.

I seriously suggest you scope the town out before bying a house, spend a few weekends, do some shopping, go out for dinner and drinks etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Wud h8 to live in Ardee, Just one nite club and no taxi rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

Here is everything you need to know about the lovely town that i Ardee:

Pubs:12 different pubs around the town all catering for the various age groups and thats not to mention the pubs in the surrounding area.No matter what you like you are bound to find one to suit you (:D check out the castle INN on the 10th march I hear they have a great DJ)

Off Licences:4 Muldoons/Tinnetys/Centra/Super Valu

Take Aways:Mullens/Marios/Chinese Palace/Oriental Wok

Restaurants:Chinese/Thai/Italian/Diner/2 or 3 other general nice restuarants in the town

Other activities:Tennis Club/Running club/2 soccer clubs/GAA (hurling nearby)

Churches:The 2 main crowds

Houses: Loads of new houses going up around the town

Shopping:You can buy almost anything in Ardee in some place or another

And hey if you get sick of it you are only 20 minutes from Drogheda or Dundalk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

it's a fairly crap town but a brilliant location.

less than 20 mins from Dundalk, Drogheda and Carrick.

half an hour to Kells and Navan

45 mins to airport.

An hour to Dublin and an hour an 20 mins to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

snatch wrote:
    We're looking at buying a house in Ardee. I am from Co. Louth but don't know the town very well. What's it like as a town to live in e.g. shops, pubs, restaurants, schools, security etc?

Shops
    There are two major supermarkets, a Centra and a Super Valu. Both are good in their own way for different things. You may find yourself having to visit both, if you're the kind to complete a weekly shop on one day. A Lidl has pending planning permission and should be built some time in the near future. Tesco have also tried to locate in Ardee, but they had their planning application refused by An Bord Pleanála. There are also the usual convenience stores and forecourt offerings (Vivo, Mace, Spar, Shell, etc.). There are a few local corner-shop-style shops and newsagents: try Finlay's shop for top-quality ice creams. As Conor said, you can buy almost anything you want in Ardee in some place or other. You just need to shop around to get the best prices. There is a Bank of Ireland, an Ulster Bank, an AIB, a Permanent TSB agency and a credit union. There are six ATM's in the town, but they do tend to run out of cash on bank holiday weekends and the like, so get there early! On the subject of banking privacy, etc., many people complain that Ardee is too small and everybody knows each other's business, but this is only really the case among middle-aged women with nothing better to do. Clothes shops have improved significantly in recent years, but do tend towards the middle to upper end of the market. A new shopping centre in the centre of the town is about to begin construction: this will incorporate the aforementioned Super Valu, albeit in a new position. There will be about ten to sixteen other units too. It should have been built by now, but tenancy and lease agreements complicated matters. It's being built on the site of a livestock mart, which has since moved to an out-of-town location. There are two major butchers, with Callaghan's probably being the better of the two. Their meat is sourced from better stock and they have a more of a clue that meat actually comes from animals, understanding the importance of rearing and husbandry.

Pubs
    There are several pubs in Ardee, eleven, I think, if I've counted them properly (I've probably left out somewhere obvious). They cater for a wide range of tastes. Most have live music at weekends, and quite a few have food available too. Then, there's Indigo, which is a kind of bar-cum-venue place, which tends to attract a younger crowd. It usually has good music. There is one night-club, Shambles, which isn't great, but tends to be good craic all the same.

Restaurants
    There are a wide range of eating options too. There are a couple of cafés for all-day light food; the pubs all do dinners at lunch-time, if you like; and there are dedicated restaurants too. These are mostly of a high standard. My personal recommendations for dinner are Muldoon's (vast á la carte menu), La Giostra (Italian), and Rolf's Bistro (a small restaurant with an imaginative, creative menu, open only at evenings). The almost infamous Hard Day's Night diner is a Beatles-themed diner-style eatery, which has a long menu too. The classic burger with bacon and cheese comes recommended. A broad section of Ardee people tend to frequent here. Sizzler's offers all-day food of the cheap and cheerful variety. There are two Chinese take-aways, most citing Chinese Palace as the best, despite its unassuming exterior. There's also Mullen's, a north-eastern chain of traditional take-aways, and Mario's (an Italian chip affair, staffed by the tempestuous owner, likely to insult you, but in a good-humoured way [just don't give him ammunition!]).

Churches
    There's a Roman Catholic church, which has daily Masses, and a Church of Ireland, which shares a rector with Collon, Drogheda and Termonfeckin, resulting in onlt one service in the town every three weeks, I think. Many people attend church in nearby rural churches within the parish, such as Ballapousta. The Church of Ireland is, in part, an old abbey; the Catholic church is a modern octagonal affair, but, unlike many other modern churches, actually looks well; Ballapousta is a traditional T-shaped church with a gallery, popular for weddings.

Schools
    Ardee itself has three primary schools: an Educate Together school, a girls' convent school, and a boys' Christian Brothers' school. All have lay staff. I have not attended any of them, so I can't comment on what they're like. Many children attend local rural schools, such as Ballapousta, Newtown, Tallanstown, etc. Thesed are seen by many local parents as being a more conducive learning environment. There is one post-primary school, Ardee Community School, my alma mater. The school gets a lot of unfair criticism, due to a certain element of students within it. However, most students are willing to learn, and the teaching staff is second-to-none, being as dedicated and well-qualified as you will find anywhere. Sport and extra-curricular activities are highly encouraged. The 1970's building isn't perfect, but there are some great facilities, such as the huge gym, tennis courts, football pitches, etc.

Security
    Garda coverage is pretty dismal, i.e., the same as most regional towns in Ireland. The station is staffed every morning, and most nights there will be Garda car around the town. Crime tends to be of a petty, juvenile nature. There are rough elements in Ardee people, who would cause trouble at night, but you'll quickly get smart and know the few people and places to avoid. That said, most of it is just an image they have. Boy racers are a problem of late.

Infrastructure
    This is really a Jekyll and Hyde tale of two towns. On the positive side, the town lies on the N2, the main Dublin-Derry road. This is due to be bypassed around the town soon. There is a link-road to the M1 motorway, which runs from Dublin to the border. The N52, which runs from Dundalk to practically everywhere else you might want to go, also runs through the town. The smaller roads are a mixed bag. Some of the R-roads are well-surfaced, but the local-grade roads can be bendy, potholed and overgrown with briars. This is, however, the exception rather than the rule. On the negative side, traffic congestion along the main street on Friday evenings, and even some other evenings dring the week, is chronic. The sooner the the bypass is built, the better. There is a disused railway station, which is unlikely to re-open in the medium-term, and there is no taxi rank, so you really need to have their numbers. There are buses to everywhere north, south, and east, but not really west. Collins' Coaches offer the best service to Dublin city centre (€11 return). Water supply is good, and sewage treatment is all right too. The streets have pay-and-display parking, but it's quite cheap.

Other Facilities, Shops, Services, Social Outlets, etc.
    This is just a random list:
    Public library, town council, Brigíní, gym, several service stations, dry-cleaner's, ICA, Legion of Mary, Muintir na Tíre, Macra na Féirme, ICA, GAA clubs, soccer clubs, athletics club, Rugby club, tennis club, 18-hole golf club, clay-pigeon shooting, game shooting, garden centre, Toyota dealership, Ardee Concert Band, martial arts, horse-riding, hunting, Tidy Towns committee, the Great Bog of Ardee, historic buildings (town walls, castles, mottes, etc.; Ardee was a fortified town on the edge of the Pale), angling (the River Dee runs through the town).
    It's good to get involved in things, as it will help you to integrate in the community. I've probably left a load out, but I'm pressed for time! Sorry if it's a bit rambling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 snatch

Wow there's some great info in there. Thanks one and all for the replies (especially europerson!).

We're in our late 20's and work pretty long hours. Location of the town would be convenient for us but it was all the weekend bits we are interested in. Dundalk would probably be an even better fit location wise, and I know the town better, but there seems to be a shortage of half decent houses (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place).

Will take the advice given and spend a bit of time in the town and see how we fare out. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

What about Tallanstown then? Good houses there I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keefs

Hiya just moved 2 tallanstown is anyone here my age & from ardee etc????!:rolleyes: and was thinking of going out in ardee, are the pubs and niteclubs strict coz im only 17!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Keefs wrote:
    Hiya just moved 2 tallanstown is anyone here my age & from ardee etc????!:rolleyes: and was thinking of going out in ardee, are the pubs and niteclubs strict coz im only 17!;)

Your too old for the pubs and niteclubs there:)

You will be grand as long as you aren't making a tit of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Keefs wrote:
    was thinking of going out in ardee, are the pubs and niteclubs strict coz im only 17!;)
    Well, let's just say you'll have no problem getting into the Castle Inn. In fact, you'll probably increase the average age dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tracy1

has everything you would need, a great little town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 love ardee

Hi I was wondering if anyone in Ardee has moved to the town from Dublin. Im thinking of moving in summer with 3 teenagers and was wondering if there was anything for them to do. Also would they settle or are they too old. Please help advice needed badl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved into Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 monkeyjr

Don't know anything about Ardee but I noticed no one has mentioned Fushia Hse Restaurant - Is is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

monkeyjr wrote: »
    Don't know anything about Ardee but I noticed no one has mentioned Fushia Hse Restaurant - Is is gone?

Nope it's still there

love ardee wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anyone in Ardee has moved to the town from Dublin. Im thinking of moving in summer with 3 teenagers and was wondering if there was anything for them to do. Also would they settle or are they too old. Please help advice needed badl

What sort of stuff they in to? There's plenty of pubs and one nightclub. Away from alcohol related stuff there is a good choice of sports clubs; GAA teams, rugby and soccer. There's a decent gym after opening as well and apparently the rates for it are very good.

The good thing about Ardee is that even if you find something lacking in the town, you're only 10 mins from Dundalk/Drogheda. There you have cinemas, JJB cenres, ice skating, bowling etc.

Plenty to do but really just depends what you're in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mickus40

Fushia Hse Restaurant is the best in the town, as well as the indish take away. They do REALLY great indian food. The chinese take aways are standard fair, same as any other chinese in any other town.
    I'd say Ardee definitely has a small town attitude. If your from dunleer your considered a foreigner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Its not that big a town, you drive through it and you shout out of your car ''ARRRRdddeeeee''

and by the time the word ardee leaves your lips, lo and behold your in the next county

1589R-54731.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 love ardee

Hi Peejay 1986

Thanks for your reply. They like swimming soccer and dancing. The eldest likes nightclubs. What is the nightclub like? Is it alcohol free for teenagers night?
    Also what is the community school like???
    Where do most of the teenagers live. I have noticed they are quite a few housing estates. I s there any estate I sholud stay away from?:)

love ardee wrote: »
    Hi Peejay 1986

Thanks for your reply. They like swimming soccer and dancing. The eldest likes nightclubs. What is the nightclub like? Is it alcohol free for teenagers night?
    Also what is the community school like???
    Where do most of the teenagers live. I have noticed they are quite a few housing estates. I s there any estate I sholud stay away from?:)

Well I'm not really a nightclub person myself which is odd considering my age but it's got a decent reputation. As with any place you get some that love it and some that hate it but to be honest they all end up at it most nights.

They do have alcohol free teenage nights, my cousins usually attend them and they love them. Usually take place once a month or on special occasions.

I finished at the Community School myself in 2004 (seems so long ago now!) and to me it was just school. Wouldn't paint it with anything negative but then again it couldn't be regarded as top of its class. It is a good school with some excellent teachers. Of course like at any there is a bit of dead wood within the staff but mostly they're a good bunch.

As for places to live. To be honest it depends on your budget. I live (pretty much) in De la Salle Crescent which is one of the older estates but its a nice place to live. The people are nice and the place is generally nicely kept.

The other main estates are Sliabh Breagh, Cherrybrook and Fherdia Parc. Out of these Fherdia Parc would probably have the worst reputation, a few minority ruin what is otherwise a nice community of people. The other 2 are much of a muchness, situated directly across from eachother. Nice estates with a good mix of people. Cherrybrook seems to be where a lot of teenagers hang out, but everything seems pretty friendly. There are loads of new estates as well, none of which I can fault. There is nowhere in the town I would class as a no-go.

If your kids are in to swimming, soccer and dancing then you should be fine. Soccer is covered by the towns 2 teams; Ardee Celtic and Square United. Ardee Celtic in particular have a strong emphasis on youth teams and my brother was a part of the set up there for long time until he went to college. There are also astroturf pitches to play 5-a-side, loads of them!

There are swimming pools in Dundalk and Drogheda so you're covered for that. Pretty sure also that dance classes take place in the town but if not Dundalk and Drogheda will have them.

A bit of a long winded reply but hopefully it'll help you. Without meaning to be nosey, any particular reason you are thinking of moving to Ardee?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Its not that big a town, you drive through it and you shout out of your car ''ARRRRdddeeeee''

and by the time the word ardee leaves your lips, lo and behold your in the next county

You'd be lucky to even get through it that quickly sometimes given the bloody traffic jams! You'd need a great pair of lungs!:)

It's not that small though, as it is after all a town of some 5000 persons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mag1c

I mooved to Ardee from The East Of England 2 years ago....

Ardee is the garden for St Brigits Mental hospital.

Its just a noisey a Rd with FAR to much traffic.

Boyracers add to at least 20% of traffic with illigally Modified Toyota Corollas revving and backfiring past every 300 pubs.
    Police ( Guards) non existant.. a joke, 2 old men in a office that closed for lunch.

1 in 4 shops Closed run down empty or deralic.
    shops that are open are Seriously overpriced..

Very smalltown mentallity, locals want to know who you are.

1 night club, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a club, just a dark room with overpriced booze and bass. 5 euros a pint!!!!

Local accent has a nasty bog trotting twang with the word "Hay" added to the end over every sentance "hay".

The Polish and Romanians have there supermarket and are in abundance.

No REAL fast food for miles just 2 greesy fish and chip shops but about 30 chineses! 4 Euros for a portion of chips!!!

A nice castle full of history, but its closed to the public.

As you can tell I dont like it but unfortunatly I have work comitments in the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

mag1c wrote: »

Boyracers add to at least 20% of traffic with illigally Modified Toyota Corollas revving and backfiring past every 300 pubs.
    Police ( Guards) non existant.. a joke, 2 old men in a office that closed for lunch.

1 night club, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a club, just a dark room with overpriced booze and bass. 5 euros a pint!!!!

Local accent has a nasty bog trotting twang with the word "Hay" added to the end over every sentance "hay".

No REAL fast food for miles just 2 greesy fish and chip shops but about 30 chineses! 4 Euros for a portion of chips!!!

As you can tell I dont like it but unfortunatly I have work comitments in the town
    have you said anything nice about ardee ... dont believe that you dont like marios chips

mag1c wrote: »

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but overall it does paint a very bleak picture of the town. Very much exaggerated on 6 of your points, very true on the rest. I know that the Polish shop is operated by Polish people, not Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

flickarius wrote: »
    ...I know that the Polish shop is operated by Polish people, not Roma.

Where did the other poster mention Roma?
    S/he mentioned Romanians. They're not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

mag1c why did you move to ardee if you hate it so much

Where did the other poster mention Roma?
    S/he mentioned Romanians. They're not the same thing.

I know that. I know he didn't mention Roma people but I know that he meant Roma instead of Romanians. My wife is Ethnic Hungarian from Transylvania, (which used to be in Hungary, pre Treaty of Trianon) but of course has a Romanian passport and is tired of hearing people calling the Roma Romanian's. To her Romanian's are a fairer skinned people native to Romania, unlike the Roma who are darker skinned and who originally came from India. (Sorry if this is dragging the topic a little off course but I was just reacting to some of the negative points the poster had made about Ardee.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

flickarius wrote: »
    ...I was just reacting to some of the negative points the poster had made about Ardee.)

No you weren't. You were just assuming that the other poster was being racist, without there being evidence of it.

Advertisement