Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ardee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

No you weren't. You were just assuming that the other poster was being racist, without there being evidence of it.

Not at all, only stating the shop is run by Polish nationals & that I understand the difference between Romanian Nationals and the Roma people as my wife is from that country. Read my post carefully, I was only trying to defend my hometown in which some of his comments were a bit negative. He's entitled to his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I suggest YOU read all the relevant posts again!
    Other poster said "Poles and ROMANIANS" (my emphasis).
    You said "They're not ROMA" (again, my emphasis).
    I know the rule on boards.ie is 'attack the post, not the poster' but I'm having difficulty refraining myself from calling you an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Josef Fritzl

Tallanstown > Ardee, Dundalk and Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

I suggest YOU read all the relevant posts again!
    Other poster said "Poles and ROMANIANS" (my emphasis).
    You said "They're not ROMA" (again, my emphasis).
    I know the rule on boards.ie is 'attack the post, not the poster' but I'm having difficulty refraining myself from calling you an idiot.

Maybe I didn't bring my point across correctly & you simply misunderstood me. No further comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rosemary007

mag1c wrote: »
    The Polish and Romanians have there supermarket and are in abundance.

OK, I've lived here for a quite a while and I have never seen Romanian or Roma shops. Polish yes. Only a small shop actually, nice ppl work in it. Tell me something aren't you exagerating a little bit???

There are nice restaurants and pubs as well serving good food. As for the prices, like any other small town, we are trying to survive too, under the current financial circumstances.

I love Ardee and I will recommend it to everyone who wants to come and live here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

No REAL fast food for miles just 2 greesy fish and chip shops but about 30 chineses! 4 Euros for a portion of chips!!!
    REAL fast food? WTF is that? And you'd get 2 portions of chips for €4 anywhere!

PS: "Bog trotting twang", in case you didn't notice, there is a bog 2 miles outside the town :rolleyes: I'm sure your lovely "East of England" accent is much more beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bb79

i was born in ardee and moved out the second i got a chance but if your not like me and related to nearly everyone in the town then by all means live there, it actually not a bad place to live. you'll learn very fast who to avoid. i personally couldnt live there again but thats just me.

like peejay1986 i grew up in the crescent as well, nice estate, quiet, parking is a nightmare though. i went to community school (finished in 1996) and i too have nothing negative to say about it. plenty of sports available in the town and i agree with peejay1986 there are no areas that you need to avoid.

word to the wise: buy a car. you'll need to go to dundalk for cinema, decent shopping, gigs etc

mario's chips are best in the country (the only thing i miss about ardee!!) wau's is very good, railway bar is best pub in the town, owner Brendan is a gentleman, pub in woodtown (few miles out the kells road) is great too, dont bother with muldoons, its not what is was when it was run by Brian, if you want to go clubbing go to carrick, dont buy in imbue, it's severely overpriced, cheaper to travel to dundalk or dublin, buy your fruit and veg in hickeys out the kells road, its cheaper and best quaility around, if you want a taxi ring chicken rooney

NOTE TO mag1c: as for the accent - its a small town in the middle of the bog, what were you expecting. and st brighids hospital closed down years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I mooved to Ardee from The East Of England 2 years ago....

Ardee is the garden for St Brigits Mental hospital.

The mental hospital has no impact on the town what so ever.
    Its just a noisey a Rd with FAR to much traffic.

Boyracers add to at least 20% of traffic with illigally Modified Toyota Corollas revving and backfiring past every 300 pubs.
    Police ( Guards) non existant.. a joke, 2 old men in a office that closed for lunch.

How do you know they are illegally modified? Any idiot can rev the tits of a car and make noise whether its modified or not.

The gardai are pretty useless though.
    1 in 4 shops Closed run down empty or deralic.
    shops that are open are Seriously overpriced..

Any proof? I'd imagine if you looked up fact it wouldn't be anywhere near 1 in 4 shops. And pricing is probably on a par with other towns.
    Very smalltown mentallity, locals want to know who you are.

Didn't find that at all, I think its big enough so that you can remain anonymous if you wish, a few nosy people don't make a small town mentality.
    1 night club, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a club, just a dark room with overpriced booze and bass. 5 euros a pint!!!!

A dark room is a tad overkill, its a decent little spot for a small town and if you don't like it, Carrickmacross, Dundalk or Drogheda are all within easy reach via taxi.
    Local accent has a nasty bog trotting twang with the word "Hay" added to the end over every sentance "hay".

So? Some people don't like the English accent either don't you know.
    The Polish and Romanians have there supermarket and are in abundance.

Their hardly over running the place and so what if they have a supermarket, have you got something against them? Do you not think its good to see that a small Irish town has some cultural diversity?
    No REAL fast food for miles just 2 greesy fish and chip shops but about 30 chineses! 4 Euros for a portion of chips!!!

MacDonalds is what you want I assume? I'd take a Marios over most other chippers in the country any day and I've been all over the country.
    A nice castle full of history, but its closed to the public.

Thats a shame but hardly a reason to discount the town as a place to live?
    As you can tell I dont like it but unfortunatly I have work comitments in the town

You do realise you don't have to live in the town, why not live outside it or in another town and commute to work?

well said draffodx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

bb79 wrote: »
    well said draffodx

And I'm a Meath man too, not easy to defend a Louth town :D

• Advertisement

well its much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ploki90

Hey everybody.
    myself and a couple of buddys are staying a Saturday night in Ardee and are going to check out a few pubs and have a bit of craic. Why Ardee? Well, we like to go to smaller towns a bit off the beatn track! Just needs a club or a disco bar to qualify (late drinking)
    Since there seems to be quite a bit of knowledge about the town on this thread, i thought id ask here, where are the recommended spots in the town for good pints and banter.
    fyi, we're all in our early 30s.

Sorry cant help u, I haven't had a proper night out in Ardee in years, I've only drank in railway couple times a year.
    The joys of having kids!!
    There is a disco bar/club at the back of brian muldoons, last I remember it was called Luna but don't know if it's still opened or called that now. Last time I was in it, there was us and a hen, that's was it. Was good craic having it to ourselves though!
    The pubs in Ardee are good and there is definitely a night club in carrickmacross called vanity.
    when I was going out in Ardee we used to start in Ardee and get a taxi to Carrick. Used to be a nightmare getting back to Ardee though. I wouldn't have the patience for that now.
    Check Brian's is still open but I think the pub on corner of Kells road (was Morris's in the 90s) is where everyone goes, usually have bands in. They have an Italian restaurant upstairs too if u wanted to eat first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

ploki90 wrote: »
    Hey everybody.
    myself and a couple of buddys are staying a Saturday night in Ardee and are going to check out a few pubs and have a bit of craic. Why Ardee? Well, we like to go to smaller towns a bit off the beatn track! Just needs a club or a disco bar to qualify (late drinking)
    Since there seems to be quite a bit of knowledge about the town on this thread, i thought id ask here, where are the recommended spots in the town for good pints and banter.
    fyi, we're all in our early 30s.

I'd recommend McCoys, at the Northern end of the town. Nice pub with a good crowd. Great drink too. Then head up to Muldoons around 11 if you're planning to go to a nightclub. Their nightclub, Luna, is attached to the pub. I'd warn you, don't expect much from the club!

Honorable mention for The Railway Bar, but expect an older crowd in there. Good for a quiet pint though.

Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

ploki90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys

Let us know how you get on! :D

sound peejay,
    We're going there the last weekend of june. Hope the weather is good.
    ill let ye know how it pans out. We're guna have the craic anyway ! :D

Advertisement