Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New look Irish ISP Test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You have to register now? bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You have to register now? bah!
    Yes. In order to be able to give people access to past results and trends registration was necessary.

Ah I see, but couldn't it be optional for people who want these additional features? :confused:
    I don't think I'd be arsed registering just to check my speeds... no loss says you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I don't think I'd be arsed registering just to check my speeds... no loss says you ;)
    ditto.

(looks nice aside from that I guess)

Aside from the registration part... I've got a horisontal scroll bar in IE6, Mozilla and FF1.5... it just sits there, taunting me... urging me to scroll the page 2 pixels to the right. (Even with the browser maximised at 1680x1050)

• Advertisement

If you could take a screenshot I'd appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Gah, hate to say it but that reg requirement is going to stop me from using your site or mentioning it to anyone. I'm sure you don't give a toss about that but its a pity to see something I really liked to use get mangled like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

nice, looks alot better

blacknight wrote:
    If you could take a screenshot I'd appreciate it
    Sorry about the crappy jpg compression here... boards attachments and their 100kb limit :rolleyes:
    Had nice clean png's ready at 140kb, typical :D

Thanks for the screenshots.

What resolution are you running at?

• Advertisement

1680x1050 ... it's a nice widescreen res... you can have a browser open on one side of the screen and notepad open on the other quite comfortably.
    I dropped to 1024x768 there just to see and I've still got the horisontal scroll bar.
    Hmm, am I the only one getting this? :confused:
    tbh I'm surprised I'm getting it across many browsers, while nobody else seems to have noticed at all.

I got curious myself, so after playing around with the stylesheet for a bit... I've narrowed it down to these elements...
    #nav .grey {
    	/*padding-top: 5px;*/
    	/*padding-left: 12px;*/
    }

.grey {
    	/*padding: 5px 3px 0px;*/
    }

Commenting out these padding lines removes the horisontal scroll bar in all three browsers... maybe you can replace the resulting lost formatting using margins on child-elements within the above elements.
    Hmm, or just leave as-is... I dunno maybe my browsers are just freaks :eek:

I'm going to run a few tests and see what they show

I ran the site through sitevista and the only time I get the effect you are seeing is below:
    http://www.sitevista.com/clients/results/2553_IE6-1024.jpg

Very odd ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

blacknight wrote:
    I ran the site through sitevista and the only time I get the effect you are seeing is below:
    http://www.sitevista.com/clients/results/2553_IE6-1024.jpg

Very odd ..

I could see the same thing on my desktop and also laptop. It is due to the stylesheet alright.

In Firefox looks the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Hmm, am I the only one getting this? :confused:
    I'm getting it too. Firefox, 1280*1024.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Same here firefox @ 1280*1024

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Well done - it looks good. But I would also like the registration to be optional... I use the site very often, sometimes several times a day from different computers / locations so I will be probably using another speed test in future because I don't want to have to log in every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

very stylish site Blacknight, smooth. I too have the scrolling problems on firefox/opera/ie6 @ 1024 *768 on a 15'' tft.

I think its a great idea to have a members area where you can study your speed trends but also think it will hamper once off users and the like. A dual system for reg and unreg users would be nice.

What are you using on your site to get the "latest broadband discussions" on your homepage, is that an RSS feed, or is that an addon feature of vBulletin...or both?

very stylish site Blacknight, smooth. I too have the scrolling problems on firefox/opera/ie6 @ 1024 *768 on a 15'' tft.

I'll get someone to have a look at that issue after the weekend
    I think its a great idea to have a members area where you can study your speed trends but also think it will hamper once off users and the like. A dual system for reg and unreg users would be nice.

We may rethink this, so I appreciate the feedback
    What are you using on your site to get the "latest broadband discussions" on your homepage, is that an RSS feed, or is that an addon feature of vBulletin...or both?
    It's vBulletin plugin. The RSS feeds would only give us the latest threads, whereas the plugin gives us the latest posts :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Anybody have another link to the same speed test from a different provider??

If i was to have to register for every site i use every day.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Found the same test here...

http://www.wugnet.com/myspeed/speedtest.asp

No registration required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I was getting a lot of variance from the results of those two tests, is that down it being natural for my bandwidth limit to go up and down a bit or are these tests not 100% accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The username field for the forums has a different max. length then the login box for the speed test. So if you register a long username, like I did, you can't fill in the whole username to login.

I got around it cos of a firefox toolbar I have installed, but most people wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Congratulations: you've taken quite a popular site & made it totally and uttely useless.

If anyone wants a speedtest site, try http://www.abeltronica.com/velocimetro/pt/index.php?idioma=uk&newlang=uk

seamus wrote:
    The username field for the forums has a different max. length then the login box for the speed test. So if you register a long username, like I did, you can't fill in the whole username to login.

I got around it cos of a firefox toolbar I have installed, but most people wouldn't.

Seamus - Thanks for the headsup I'll add it to the bug list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

bpmurray wrote:

no thanks

We think we've fixed all of the bugs that have been reported over the last couple of months and have added a couple of new features.. If anyone would like to give this a try before we make it public please PM me

Thanks
    Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Darn reg requirement ill never use this :(

• Advertisement

tom-thebox wrote:
    Darn reg requirement ill never use this :(
    We removed the registration requirement as of yesterday.

You can go to:

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

or choose when you go to:

http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php

The choice is yours :)

Advertisement