Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus A8V Deluxe Sata Help...

Options
  • 24-02-2006 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Bought a Sata drives...i currently have xp setup on a Ide 120gb... my bios doesnt detect the sata drive.... I plugged it into both the sata 1/2 connectors...What am i doing wrong?Never used sata drive before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Enable On Board RAID /SATA/PCI RAID (its one of these, diff bios diff names) card and then enable booting form it when Windows is on it.

Its in the Hardware perepherials part of BIos.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I tried that..... I want to keep the ide drives as my master windows and the sata as sec....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

I tried that..... I want to keep the ide drives as my master windows and the sata as sec....

just check what your sata controller is and look for the driver for it..install under windows and u should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oh right your Bios wont detect them , Satas have their own bios which loads after normal Bios. So once Enabled Onboard PCi thing and IDE set as master boot thats it.

SATA are >.< this much faster than IDE handy to run your windows and games off it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Going to bring this up again as i am lost again lol.... right using Windows Xp, Enabled the promise Sata in the Bios... and installed via raid controller in windows but nothing what am i doing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Going to bring this up again as i am lost again lol.... right using Windows Xp, Enabled the promise Sata in the Bios... and installed via raid controller in windows but nothing what am i doing wrong?

Spot the difference ;)

You have two SATA controllers on that motherboard the native one built into the chipset provided by VIA and a secondary one via a third party controller from Promise.

I would recommend plugging the SATA HD into the VIA controller (SATA1 or SATA2) as it does not require a driver to be installed only if you are using a RAID array.

Go into the bios and under the advanced section go into the chipset->onboard devices configuration
    set onchip SATA Boot ROM to enabled
    set onboard promise controller to disabled

That's all there should be to it after that the drive should show in the disk management control panel in Windows where you can format and mount it.

If you wish to use the promise controller make sure it's own RAID mode is disabled in the same bios section but the controller is set to enabled and use this driver in Windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

YOu will also need to format the drive too:

Right click my computer > Manage > Disk management > Right click the drive and format.

You can then assign a drive letter of your choice, and you will be ready to go.

Advertisement