Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Complex Insurance Question

Options
  • 24-02-2006 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Just wondering if you guys know what i should do, im finding out about car insurance for my dad basically he was a passenger in a friends car acccident in early 2004, he hasnt drove since for medical reasons, he is fully healthy now and able to drive no problem but just a few questions as im unsure about what to give for insurance quote questions, he's been driving for god knows how long as he's 55 but some how always managed to have a provsional licence and not bother with getting a full licence, he's never had a crash and as far as i can remember he should of had a no claims bonus of about 9 or 10 years as i deffinitly know their was no accidents in the last 10 years at least.

how long does a provisional licence last for before it compeltly expires i.e you cant go in and get another provisional and have to do that theory test again etc?

as far as i know no claims bonus only last for around 2 years and are invaild after that if your not driving etc?
    basically he's unsure about what he should do to get back on the road etc as if you've no, no claims you cant get insured right? etc

my appolgies for any stupid questions and i thank you all for your help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Cavman

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I presume your father held a provisional licence before 12th August 1985. If so, he would be exempt from the requirement to have a qualified passenger and AFAIK he would not be required to sit a test to obtain another licence (usually lasts for two years).

I'm open to correction on some of the above but I've no doubt someone will confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html

I'd say its expired. its only lasts 2yrs. Hes has to get another and sit a theory test. No insurance for 2yrs will likely mean hes has no -no claims.
    some how always managed to have a provsional licence

How?

well he was going to do his full licence test around the time off his accident but obviously he didint do it, he was driving when he was living in the uk for years but he got his provisional licence here in the mid 90's and i presume was on his 3rd provisional licence here hence his driving past in ireland was always on a provisional licence, i was reading on the gov site you posted that you dont have to sit the theory test if its not 5 years since your licence expired? it apparently included provisonal, unless i read it worng

"If your provisional driving licence expired 5 years ago, then you must undergo a Driver Theory test before a new provisional licence can be issued."

that means that cos he was driving in 2003 he can just get in renewed with out theory test right?

• Advertisement

Yes but if he has held two already he will have to show proof that he has applied for a (practical) test.

but does he not need the licence to apply for the test? i dont know to much about it hence im here so excuse my stupid questions

Cavman wrote:
    "If your provisional driving licence expired 5 years ago, then you must undergo a Driver Theory test before a new provisional licence can be issued."

that means that cos he was driving in 2003 he can just get in renewed with out theory test right?

You're assuming his prov licence was valid then. It might not have been. It might not ever have been valid.

well he drove his car and was insured and all that in late 2003

Cavman wrote:
    well he drove his car and was insured and all that in late 2003

I'm just saying to check it. Until you know exactly the dates and exactly which licence he had theres no way of knowing what to do. At this point your only guessing. Was he driving with another driver or not for example. You can only drive on your own with a 2nd.

• Advertisement

Cavman wrote:
    but does he not need the licence to apply for the test? i dont know to much about it hence im here so excuse my stupid questions

I don't think so - anyone can apply to do the test. When he gets evidence back showing he has applied for the test he can then apply for the third provisional (if applicable).

(Obviously he will need a licence to actually sit the test.)

just found out.. he was on this third provisional licence and had his test booked but couldnt sit his test because he was basically in hopital for about too months and missed his date and its taken this long for him to recover etc.

A provisional can be 1 or 2 yrs long. Which did he have? and what date was it issued. It expired 1 or 2yrs from that date. I assume the rules on a 4th provisional licence are the same as for a 3rd. Its also means he can't drive on his own till he gets a full licence.

he's gona pop down the garda station today and find out.. which is the best insurance company for this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

hibernian in my opinion were the best when it came to insuring my dad as main driver and me as named. Most have a hard time believing its his car,as he has a company car aswell. Quinn quoted 3600 and FBD despite quoting me twice on the phone,when i asked for the policy to be sent out they said sorry cars over 10 years old. I said its not 10 years old till april. She then got all flusterd and hung up on me!! I rang back and gave out to every manager i could-but each one said 'theres nothing i can do etc etc' hibernian in my op are great. I went for all the legal cover,ncb protection,roadside assistence etc for 1298 or something close.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

First and second license are for 2 years, third license onwards is for 1 year and only issued with letter proving you have applied to sit you're driving test.

The one year thing on the third provisional caught me out when waiting for the bike test..be bloody sure it hasnt run out when driving test time comes around given that the test wait is longer than the validity of the third provisional license in many areas!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    First and second license are for 2 years, third license onwards is for 1 year ...

Thats different from what it says on Oasis.
    You may not apply for a third provisional licence unless you can provide evidence that you have (a) undergone a driving test in the two-year period prior to the application or (b) evidence of a forthcoming test date. A two year provisional licence will be granted if you provide evidence you have undergone a driving test, and a one year provisional licence will be granted if you submit evidence of a forthcoming test date

• Registered Users Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Erm no its not, please reread what you just posted :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

A two year provisional licence will be granted if you provide evidence you have undergone a driving test, and a one year provisional licence will be granted if you submit evidence of a forthcoming test date

Thats seems to apply to third year? So you can get a 2yr one?

Advertisement