Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information Sold to MBNA?

Options
  • 24-02-2006 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi all

A college I went to some years ago seem to have sold my information to MBNA, who I keep receiving application forms from. It's a CC with the college logo and stuff on it, but it's a MBNA card.

Does anyone know any action I could take about this, it's really annoyed me for some reason? I know I can just get taken off the mailing list, but it's the idea of the college selling my information that's worst.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

do you know if you ticked the box saying that you do "not" consent to your information been shared among other agencies? This is a trick question you have to tick the box to say that you do not what your info shared some people think ticking the box will share the info, Plus how do you know they sold the info with MBNA might there have been some public forum where your details are posted just you dont know avout it

Otherwise contact the dean of the college threaten to sue it normally gets up their wick and dont bother worrying about sounding thick (if its an obvious answer) playing the "Joey" works wonders

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Write (physically) to MBNA and ask them to remove your data from their systems, they legally have to comply within 40 days, and confirm removal. Write to the college and do the same. The college can't sell your data if they don't have it. If you'd prefer the college to retain your data for administrative purposes, but not sell it, you should specify this in your letter.

Colleges selling student data is a bit insidious. You might want to check up up on yor facts to see if they're following the letter of the law, and report them to the data protection commissioner, and the press, if they're not.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It sounds like an affiliate card if it has the college logo. Normally what happens is that the college gets a percentage of all purchases on the card. This can be used to fund expansion etc. etc. The college would view the credit card as their own product and as one that you might see the benefit of (since it funds the college). Obviously, colleges aren't banks so they have to do it in conjunction with a financial house.

So it's not a matter of your name being sold and info on by the college, it's simply the college informing you as a student (or past student) that they have this card available. You don't have to sue or threaten legal action - simply opt out of future mailings.

Advertisement