Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

more secure?

Options
  • 24-02-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I am leaving the car outside my house for a couple of months while I go abroad.The last time I done this my car was stolen !

Is there any part that could easily be removed from the engine that would not allow the car to start if would be thieves decided to have a go.

I would not like to remove the battery as I want to keep the alarm on.

Thanks

Comments

golfdiva wrote:
    I am leaving the car outside my house for a couple of months while I go abroad.The last time I done this my car was stolen !

Is there any part that could easily be removed from the engine that would not allow the car to start if would be thieves decided to have a go.

Thanks

HT leads, spark plugs?

Better off just leaving it with someone else tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

golfdiva wrote:

Thanks

Heavy chain and expensive padlock. Not thief-proof, but most won't even bother, they'll just move on to an easier target.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Theres a number of things you can remove:

Battery
    Spark Plugs
    HT Leads

You *could* take the wheels off and leave it up on blocks... won't get far without wheels... Could look a little dodge though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JohnCleary wrote:

You *could* take the wheels off and leave it up on blocks... won't get far without wheels... Could look a little dodge though :)

You would probably get a visit from the Gardai about it. Council may consider it to be dumped. Skangers would still nick bits off of it! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

leave it at a friends house

failing that, I'll mind it for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Take out the Fuel pump fuse (wont start the car) combined with disconnecting the battery (if you havn't an alarm).

Failing any of those,Leave hardly any petrol in the car, and HT leads..

Else all the above if you want to be extra Causious.

I have a removable steering wheel and a few other things for my car... no steering wheel = car aint going anywhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If the car is from 96 on I would just leave it there with nothing. It should have an immobilizer and unless it's an Enzo nobody is going to go through the trouble of using fancy electronics to override it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Progen wrote:
    Take out the Fuel pump fuse (wont start the car) combined with disconnecting the battery (if you havn't an alarm).

Failing any of those,Leave hardly any petrol in the car, and HT leads..

Else all the above if you want to be extra Causious.

I have a removable steering wheel and a few other things for my car... no steering wheel = car aint going anywhere :D

Seconded on the fuel pump fuse/relay - I do this when leaving the car at the airport (I do a lot of 1 day trips for work)

Steering wheel is also a good idea - it's a very visible deterrant!

If it's there for a couple of months though, parts could be nicked off it (as the OP mentioned)

No friends/relations out somewhere "safe"?

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I have a switch under my dashboard that i can switch on and off. As far as i can tell, it just disconncts the battery or ignition. Cos if its switched off,the car wont start. Friend of mine installed it for a 5er. Took bout 30mins.

Advertisement