Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICQ still one of best these days?

• 25-02-2006 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently got broadband and am now able to keep in constant touch with family and friends. Anyone recommend a decent ICQ clone or do people still swear by icq? Just curious... I always liked when your buddy came online line... you'd hear a knock knock that would remind you. :)

I see icq 2003 is still available - not sure about the latest version... I try to stay away from dressed up features these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sportacus !

I use ICQ but I don't think it's that great, I'd rather MSN. I have the new Windows Messenger Live Beta too, but I don't use it, it's crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I just did a search on MSN Alternatives and came up with this. Looks promising. Some nice info. Seems like Trillian is another one that cross talks with other products.

http://www.msboycott.com/thealt/alts/messenger.shtml

There's another srorlex I think it's called I've never used it but the best part about it is when you you want to send a file to a mate and he's not online you can still send it, when he comes on the next day sat, he can just d/l it. :)

There's another srorlex I think it's called I've never used it but the best part about it is when you you want to send a file to a mate and he's not online you can still send it, when he comes on the next day sat, he can just d/l it. :)

Right! :D If anyone wants an AD FREE version and a LOW RESOURCE FOOTPRINT version of ICQ get Miranda IM!

It's excellent! Does the job. Fullstop. I tried ICQ 5 and ran away in horror. It's bloaty and there were still 150 refs to ICQ installed in registry afterwards!

The best thing is just have your old ICQ, AIM, Yahoo details at hand and use the one you like best. Miranda IM adopts it for it's clean and quite and fast frontend! Excellent! Excellent! A mere 900K.

http://www.miranda-im.org/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't tie yourself to one network, use Trillian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

hamster wrote:
    I just did a search on MSN Alternatives and came up with this. Looks promising. Some nice info. Seems like Trillian is another one that cross talks with other products.

http://www.msboycott.com/thealt/alts/messenger.shtml

trillian is a horrible piece of software. seems to disconnect me randomly from networks. also, AIM has blocked users of trillian and miranda-IM (i'd highly recommend this) from connecting to their network because they don't get advertising revenue. i can see MSN following suit.

atm i just use MSN Live Beta... i have AIM but rarely connect.

ICQ is full of bots and perverts.

ICQ is full of bots and perverts.

Are you calling me a bot ? :v:

trillian is a horrible piece of software. seems to disconnect me randomly from networks.
    Not me. Perhaps it was a firewall or network problem.
    also, AIM has blocked users of trillian and miranda-IM (i'd highly recommend this) from connecting to their network because they don't get advertising revenue. i can see MSN following suit.
    In the past, they have indeed; and in fact MSN has already done this. Not for quite some time though.

I suspect you're basing your comments on experience some time ago, which is the same as no experience in my, um, experience.

adam

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Don't tie yourself to one network, use Trillian.

Hi Ken,

This one is not limited to ICQ - you can use any of the other IMs protocols with miranda.

Actually, on another note Kopete (I came across this just now and add just my ICQ as a test) under KDE talks with a lot of other different clients like miranda (again with ICQ - I could add others).

hamster wrote:
    This one is not limited to ICQ - you can use any of the other IMs protocols with miranda.
    I didn't say you couldn't.
    Actually, on another note Kopete (I came across this just now and add just my ICQ as a test) under KDE talks with a lot of other different clients like miranda (again with ICQ - I could add others).
    Kopete'll work under Gnome in a standard distro too, and Gnome's Gaim will work under KDE. As with many KDE apps, I find Gaim's interface a little better, despite the fact that I prefer KDE in general. The KDE app developers seem to favour BIG interfaces. AmaroK, although a great player, is just as bad.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement