Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Broadband - Castleknock - ?!

Options
  • 25-02-2006 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

My father has been told by Eircom he can't get broadband... It's an oldish house, and SUPPOSIDLY the wiring can't hold the signal.

this is a quote after checking the phone number with Eircom:
    "...Unfortunately broadband technology is very sensitive and on occasion even lines in enabled exchanges do not pass the initial qualification test.
    Although you can't get eircom broadband at the moment, you may be interested in some of the alternative internet options that are available...."

Eircom offer sateline & wireless options - I've sent them a mail to see if he'd qualify. Any opinions on which of these are better?

Also Irish Broadband did a test for wireless bb and that came up a fail also... even though my father's neighbour 20 FEET AWAY has an Irish BB mast and disc up!!

His company are prepared to pay for all his bb costs, would it be a big job re-wiring a house / or it is work on the mast outside?!

Any opinions go get him online are appreciated...

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 The Hummer

Also Irish Broadband did a test for wireless bb and that came up a fail also... even though my father's neighbour 20 FEET AWAY has an Irish BB mast and disc up!!

His company are prepared to pay for all his bb costs, would it be a big job re-wiring a house / or it is work on the mast outside?!

The wiring Eircom are most likely talking about is the "last mile" from the exchange to the house. Any wiring within the house isn't a problem, its easy to rewire ,or you could use a wireless network & phone.

You are probobly better off failing IBBs test. It will save you the endless hours you would otherwise spend onto thier tech support later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

sticker wrote:
    Hey all,

My father has been told by Eircom he can't get broadband... It's an oldish house, and SUPPOSIDLY the wiring can't hold the signal.

this is a quote after checking the phone number with Eircom:
    "...Unfortunately broadband technology is very sensitive and on occasion even lines in enabled exchanges do not pass the initial qualification test.
    Although you can't get eircom broadband at the moment, you may be interested in some of the alternative internet options that are available...."

Eircom offer sateline & wireless options - I've sent them a mail to see if he'd qualify. Any opinions on which of these are better?

Any opinions go get him online are appreciated...

thanks in advance

Where in Castleknock? I've NTL in the Carpentertown area! most of Castleknock is covered!! :D

I was in the same boat not dsl and IBB sucked so bad for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the whole of castleknock isnt covered by NTL. :mad: get your dad to have a new line put in. it'll cost €121.93. an odd number i know but thats what a new line costs. they might let you move your phone number onto the new line and cancel the old one but i cant guarantee that

the whole of castleknock isnt covered by NTL. :mad: get your dad to have a new line put in. it'll cost €121.93. an odd number i know but thats what a new line costs. they might let you move your phone number onto the new line and cancel the old one but i cant guarantee that

waste of money, a new line won't pass! tried that before, where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Drapper wrote:

My Father is living off Pecks Lane...

Is the common agreement a new line is a waste of time...?

• Advertisement

sticker wrote:
    My Father is living off Pecks Lane...

Is the common agreement a new line is a waste of time...?

ntl is in part of pecks lane! new line a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Drapper wrote:

he said that his company will pay any costs and he also said that its the quality of the line thats the problem, not the distance from the exchange. so getting a new line isn't so far fetched.

i know someone who couldn't get broadband until he requested a number change. suddenly this "new line" could get bb

edit: oh wait that was the second guy. nvm

i'm living in laurel lodge. only half of it can get ntl. pissed me right off. if i walk out my door and turn right, i can see a house that has ntl

if you can get ntl go for it. tbh a new line might fix the problem but its a €121.93 gamble

Drapper wrote:

I'll ask my father to ring them first thing then... NTL would be the ideal choice...

sticker wrote:
    I'll ask my father to ring them first thing then... NTL would be the ideal choice...

give NTL a call , then get VOIP and cut off your eircom !! double saving !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

NTL covers that area, used to live there off Pecks Lane as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Drapper wrote:
    Hi do you mind letting me know where on or off pecks lane that is enabled for NTL broadband as I am looking to set my parents up on it. Stockton or Hadleigh or Pines? etc? Would be nice to know how close they are to their house as I will wait if they are close.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Eircom will tell you anything. They simply don't know what they are doing. Just ring NTL and check.

Boomer23 wrote:
    NTL covers that area, used to live there off Pecks Lane as well

My Father rang NTL this morning... Still out of coverage!
    He's living in Pecks Lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

sticker wrote:
    My Father rang NTL this morning... Still out of coverage!
    He's living in Pecks Lane.

Unless the other two contributors to this thread can confirm it is NTL broadband they have on or off Pecks Lane. I believe NTL to only be offering NTL basic and Digital, and NOT Broadband. I rang today and she said no and I have heard of no one on/off Pecks Lane that has it. I presume the cables are old and only have 1 way communiction down the line as it can handle digital TV maybe I am wrong it might be something else but presuming the cables cant handle uploads as it can handle digital and is still not enabled for broadband. Could be at an exchange or some other comparable central location where the upgrades need to happen. Which would be an awful lot quicker to upgrade for obvious reasons. Time will tell unless someone alone Pecks Lane can inform us otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I was told the same re the Pecks Lane / Auburn area of Castleknock. The cables need to be upgraded still.

I've been on to Eircom, and they recommend calling the Blanchardstown exchange and asking an engineer out there to diagnose the line fault > if it needs repairing, this would only cost about €120...

I can't seem to find the number anywhere (directory inquiries don't have it!)

Anyone have Exchange contact numbers...?!

thanks in adavnce :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Have you tried Smart? Their test is less strict. You will lose your number if you go to Smart but if you're Dad's company will pay, he could get a new line and get Smart on it.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Have you tried Smart? Their test is less strict. You will lose your number if you go to Smart but if you're Dad's company will pay, he could get a new line and get Smart on it.

no smart in blanch yet !

sticker wrote:
    I've been on to Eircom, and they recommend calling the Blanchardstown exchange and asking an engineer out there to diagnose the line fault > if it needs repairing, this would only cost about €120...

I can't seem to find the number anywhere (directory inquiries don't have it!)

Anyone have Exchange contact numbers...?!

thanks in adavnce :D

Make sure they will guarantee to fix the line for BB. Usually they won't. But they'll let you spend 120 for nothing.

Make sure they will guarantee to fix the line for BB. Usually they won't. But they'll let you spend 120 for nothing.

...Will do, I just need to get in touvh with them! According to an Eircom sales tech, my best bet is to get in touch DIRECTLY with the engineer's - NOT regular channels...

• Advertisement

Good luck with that...

I wrote to he Pat Kenny show a few months ago after his radio show hosted a feature on Eircom. I was sent an e-mail by Eircom a few days later:

15th March 2006

Dear Conor,

You recently contacted the Pat Kenny Show concerning the currently inability to qualify for eircom broadband. eircom have investigated every query that was submitted to RTE on a case by case basis.

Eircom continues to enable dozens of telephone exchanges each month. In order to respond to your specific query, I would be grateful if you could provide the land line telephone number ( including the std code e.g. 01-xxxxxxx ) that you would like to receive broadband.

Once we have the correct telephone number, eircom will investigate and respond to you within the next two weeks.

With Thanks
    Maria Jonsson
    eircom Customer Care

I replied with all the information requested.

NO RESPONCE Still a MONTH later!! - Surprise Surprise!! I e-mailed the sender again last week - still no responce. (Maybe both mail were lost in the post!?!)

All I wanted was an update - even if it was only to say we're still working on it... It just strikes me as totally unprofessional. The e-mail was obviously sent as a knee-jerk reaction to my complaint, and no follow-up seems likely. It's scary to think a monster company like Eircom can have a Customer Service devision where e-mails are obviously received and ignored.

NOT GOOD, NOT GOOD :mad:

Start a campaign to get an idea of the numbers of people in the area who can't get broadband. Can't get it myself (with eircom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LeGioN_of

I am down in Cork same prob with Eircom line not suitable blah bla. Eircom rep came into my office to setup a new telephone system so i abused him about eircoms lack of customer care in front of my boss. He took my home number that has been failing for the last 3 years. Made a call to an engineer, 2 hours later my line passed for BB. My line was listed as in an exchange too far away when it was really connected to the exchange 2 miles away.

Paying for a new line is a waste of money has they only splice into the existing one.

I use Amocom wireless who give me 2mb / 2mb for free since they use my house as a LOS point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

sticker wrote:
    I wrote to he Pat Kenny show a few months ago after his radio show hosted a feature on Eircom. I was sent an e-mail by Eircom a few days later:

15th March 2006

Dear Conor,

You recently contacted the Pat Kenny Show concerning the currently inability to qualify for eircom broadband. eircom have investigated every query that was submitted to RTE on a case by case basis.

Eircom continues to enable dozens of telephone exchanges each month. In order to respond to your specific query, I would be grateful if you could provide the land line telephone number ( including the std code e.g. 01-xxxxxxx ) that you would like to receive broadband.

Once we have the correct telephone number, eircom will investigate and respond to you within the next two weeks.

With Thanks
    Maria Jonsson
    eircom Customer Care

I replied with all the information requested.

NO RESPONCE Still a MONTH later!! - Surprise Surprise!! I e-mailed the sender again last week - still no responce. (Maybe both mail were lost in the post!?!)

All I wanted was an update - even if it was only to say we're still working on it... It just strikes me as totally unprofessional. The e-mail was obviously sent as a knee-jerk reaction to my complaint, and no follow-up seems likely. It's scary to think a monster company like Eircom can have a Customer Service devision where e-mails are obviously received and ignored.

NOT GOOD, NOT GOOD :mad:

I'd report that to Pat Kenny. Let him find out if the other callers also got the same treatment. That would catch them out nicely ;)

Start a campaign to get an idea of the numbers of people in the area who can't get broadband. Can't get it myself (with eircom).

Yup went through local LAbour and Finnna Fail rep to get Eircom BB in our "affluent area" (Caprentrerstown) and we got nowhere! Waste of time to be honest!

Then NTL came to my area and I never looked back! guess they are watching out for areas that Eircom can't server and they can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Deadbeet

My sister had the same problem in donabate with eircom, she couldn't get bb bcoz the last mile couldn't handle bb and a phone line, she didnt want to pay 120 euro for the line, after a couple of weeks she got through to one of the network engineers.
    During the phone call she said is there no way of doing it for free???
    The network engineer replied " Are you having problems with your phone line in that you can't make calls on the phone"???
    My sister said "no", he asked her the same question again " Are you having problems with your phone line in that you can't make calls on the phone"??
    2nd time she replied yes. After a couple of days engineers came out to "fix" the line that wasn't broken and upgraded it at the same time for bb for free.
    So maybe you could get the last mile free as well if you say you are having problems with your phone line in that you can't make calls or something???
    Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deadbeet wrote:
    My sister had the same problem in donabate with eircom, she couldn't get bb bcoz the last mile couldn't handle bb and a phone line, she didnt want to pay 120 euro for the line, after a couple of weeks she got through to one of the network engineers.
    The network engineer replied " Are you having problems with your phone line in that you can't make calls on the phone"???
    My sister said "no", he asked her the same question again " Are you having problems with your phone line in that you can't make calls on the phone"??
    2nd time she replied yes. After a couple of days engineers came out to "fix" the line that wasn't broken and upgraded it at the same time for bb for free.
    So maybe you could get the last mile free as well if you say you are having problems with your phone line in that you can't make calls or something???

Not a bad idea! But it would probably depend on the engineer! They could do a simple line test and see it's healthy for regular services and bill my father all the same. Eircom do charge a 'call-out' So it could be risky...!

But desperate times...

BendiBus wrote:
    I'd report that to Pat Kenny. Let him find out if the other callers also got the same treatment. That would catch them out nicely ;)

I've e-mailed the Pat Kenny show again...

Hopfully a follow-up show may be in the works.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Deadbeet wrote:
    That was pretty sound of him :)

Advertisement