Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Pane on Double Glazed Window; advice please?

Options
  • 25-02-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

A few gurriers nipped up to our estate @ 6:30 am and chucked a few empty Stella Artois bottles over a 12 foot high wall at the back of the house. Result; one badly cracked window.

Two questions;

1. Can we claim this off house insurance? Had a quick peek at the insurance docs, no info on what is covered. Planning to ask broker to check it on Monday.

2. Must the whole window be replaced? It's about 6'6" by 5'ish. Pane itself is about 4'6" by 2'9".

Thanks in advance folks (I hope)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only the double glazed unit needs replacing, probably in the low hundreds €150-300, less than the excess on your insurance policy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

curiosity wrote:
    1. Can we claim this off house insurance? Had a quick peek at the insurance docs, no info on what is covered. Planning to ask broker to check it on Monday.

Probably. However:
    You may have to report the matter to the Gardaí, as any criminal damage claims have to be verified.
    It may not be worthwhile, as there is most likely an excess on your policy, and depending on the size of the excess you may end up paying most of the cost of replacing a double glazed unit yourself.
    I'm not sure what a standard policy excess is, but the figure of €250.00 comes to mind for some reason (that may be the excess on my own policy).
    curiosity wrote:
    2. Must the whole window be replaced? It's about 6'6" by 5'ish. Pane itself is about 4'6" by 2'9".

I doubt the whole window needs to be replaced (was the frame damaged?). It sounds like you just need a new double glazed unit. Many glass companies can provide this unit once given the measurements, and you could most likely install it yourself (it's a doddle with Aluminium or uPVC).
    I would recommend The Glass Centre in Inchicore, if you live in Dublin.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Thanks lads, makes sense.

Frame is ok, so at least it won't hurt too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 1888bhoy

just ran a search here lads as the inside window has been cracked and funily enough no body knows what happened to it....

will check out that place in inchicore thanks to yer advice.

cheers.

Advertisement