Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto wiring question

Options
  • 25-02-2006 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I need to replace a section of wire is it possible to ID the guage from its colour(s)?

Its black and white striped (length ways) with copper core.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its not usual to colour code by gauge - if you know what the wire is doing you can figure out what gauge to use based on the maximum current that it will have to carry. I usually replace lengths of wire with 2.5mmsq. electrical flex and this is rated for several kilowatts, but if you have a selection of wire gauges try and choose one which matches what you are taking out. More importantly, make sure you connect it securely and use suitable connectors or solder and heatshrink insulation.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The wire is for a cold start valve. I suspect the easy thing to do would be to get a complete valve and the wiring intact off a scrapper.

Mike.

Advertisement