Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question

• 25-02-2006 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can or would a big bunch of flowers change a womans mind?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

change her mind with regards to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It really all depends what you're trying to atone for!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it can often be a bad idea if you've really screwed up. ring her, tell her you want to apologise or better still ask to meet her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

I think it could indeed change some women's opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

no why do men think flowers fix everything- it makes no difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

Depends. On what you did/what you want her to do. They are nice to get but i would count on it changing her mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 koolthefunk

Short answer no.

Longer answer yes, but....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

pepper wrote:
    no why do men think flowers fix everything- it makes no difference
    Certainly not as a cure all or even in the long run, but romantic gestures can and do make a difference. Try not making such gestures for a while in a relationship (as a man) if you don't believe me and see what happens.

As for the OP (who may not actually have done anything wrong - he could simply be under the delusion that he can seduce a woman who's already rejected him, with flowers, for all we know) the simple answer is yes, but whether it is enough of a difference to change a mind or engender forgiveness is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

A single rose might work where a dozen fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

llrol wrote:

Yes - flowers that are obvioulsy from a petrol station will change a womans mind, towards a negative persuasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

llrol wrote:

Not if she has decide to break up with you ("too little too late" springs to mind) or if she has said something along the lines of "you are a nice guy, lets just stay friends" (in which case you are going to come across as a stalker if you buy flowers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭*Lolly*

llrol wrote:

If you forgot her birthday... yes - but make it a nice selection. A bouquet perhaps think Lillies/roses (white & Red ) Oh and throw in some thorntons choc for good luck.

If you cheated on her... Not a hope in ur ass mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

el tel wrote:
    Yes - flowers that are obvioulsy from a petrol station will change a womans mind, towards a negative persuasion.

They're known as "diesel flowers" (i.e. deez 'ill do 'er)

Litcagral wrote:
    They're known as "diesel flowers" (i.e. deez 'ill do 'er)

LOL! brilliant first time ive heard that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

llrol wrote:
    Usually only the kind of idiot woman that's swayed by having a few quid or a few posies thrown her way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

U'd have to see the context. If it was something waaaaaaay below the belt then... prepare to fill that room with flowers! But if it's just a little tuffy fight then just a nice bunch of deep red roses'll do the trick! Also sometimes the way u present them matter as much as the actual flowers! Be romantic and eloquent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Insert name____

*Lolly* wrote:
    If you forgot her birthday... yes - but make it a nice selection. A bouquet perhaps think Lillies/roses (white & Red ) Oh and throw in some thorntons choc for good luck.

If you cheated on her... Not a hope in ur ass mate

Don't even think of getting white and red together with no other colour. It's meant to signify death apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

llrol wrote:
    Depends on the enormity of the **** up, my wife would throw them at me if I ****** up so bad ! And if I gave her "Garage Flowers" as she call them, ie, flowers bought in the local Esso garage, I would still be removing them from my arse...So to answer your Q.....No !

Don't even think of getting white and red together with no other colour. It's meant to signify death apparently.

Lol! death? Ive never heard that one before! But red and white roses go extremely well! (Naturally!) Bit i suppose hmmm... If that were true and it realy botherd you that much then how about Red and Pink!? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

flowers are a short term solution to a long term problem

• Advertisement

p~b wrote:
    flowers are a short term solution to a long term problem

Id assume from that comment that your male?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

yes damn right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

personally (and im a girl) flowers aren't gonna do diddly squat if
    a) you've done something bad, or
    b) she doesn't like you in the first place

Well if she dont liken you but she still actually has a heart then im sure she'd appreciate it all the same. But if thats the case id stick to flowers and whayever you do DONT go all cheesy on her. Like for instance, some idot i wasnt one bit interested in tried to buy me a pink velour playboy tracksuit JUST because Jordan (Yes mammoth tits jordan) Was wearing one in a picture in his sisters magazine! Now thats cheese on toast with parmahan in my opinion! :rolleyes: hehe!

But IF you have done something wrong well... hmmm im afraid youd have to go into more detail... were not all mystic megs you know! :D

What did u do?:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I haven't spoken to the last guy who bought me flowers since. He showed up on a first date with them, it took all my willpower not to walk away there and then. I generally don't like receiving flowers, unless its a single rose at half four in the morning. I think flowers are corny and you need a certain kind of arrogance to get away with them. Like if George Clooney showed up at my door with flowers, I'd be delighted. The only acceptable way to receive flowers is to have them delivered, but even then I think they're a token gesture, and the person who sends them is just classing you as a typical girl without taking into account your individuality.

And thats my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Marie 85 - sorry that that poor chap (while trying to be nice) spent his hardearned money only to offend your sensibilities ! I think, in fact, he had a lucky escape - and, especially, that you haven't spoken to him since !

And thats my two cents.

NortSoide wrote:
    Marie 85 - sorry that that poor chap (while trying to be nice) spent his hardearned money only to offend your sensibilities ! I think, in fact, he had a lucky escape - and, especially, that you haven't spoken to him since !

Yeah, I know my last comment seems b*tchy, its just cos I was writing fast. I'm prepared to give anyone a chance but showing up with flowers on a first date shows unoriginality. They shouldn't have to try to impress me with a gesture, they should let their personality do that. Or even attempt to get to know me and try and find something I specifically like rather than assume that cos I'm a girl I like flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Wouldn't make me change my mind but may thaw any frost long enough to give a guy the chance to explain why I should change my mind.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

marie_85 wrote:
    Yeah, I know my last comment seems b*tchy, its just cos I was writing fast. I'm prepared to give anyone a chance but showing up with flowers on a first date shows unoriginality. They shouldn't have to try to impress me with a gesture, they should let their personality do that. Or even attempt to get to know me and try and find something I specifically like rather than assume that cos I'm a girl I like flowers.
    Lets be fair here. You have a much higher chance of scoring + points by showing up with a rose, and a high chance of scoring - points for showing up empty handed.

Give a man some credit - he has no idea what you do and don't like. It's accepted that flowers are an appropriate gesture from a man to a woman, because most women surprise suprise, like receiving flowers. You're one of the few that don't, but that's no need to get snotty about it. I don't like football, and I'm vegetarian, but if a woman assumed that I would like to be cooked a steak and sit watching the football highlights, I wouldn't give her the cold shoulder - she's not a frickin mind reader. In fact, *I'd* be embarassed, because she has gone to particular trouble to please me, and *I'm* the one who's awkward, she hasn't done anything wrong.

Realise for men, buying flowers isn't an easy one. Second to present shopping, it's a man's most hated relationship chore. To men, there are only two kinds of flowers - rotting ones, and fresh ones. After that, we're only guessing.

I'm not getting snotty about it, and just to be clear, its not cos he brought me flowers that I haven't spoken to him, we just didn't get on well. And the flowers gave him minus points. I want to be with someone cos of their personality, not because of gestures.

And giving someone flowers, is a pretty empty gesture. Its different if you're in a long term relationship and you know the woman likes flowers, and you want to be romantic or its a special occasion. But I think, as an apology or as an attempt to impress somebody they're a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What would prefer? Empty handed? Swoop down from a helicopter? A voucher for a two-person meal at McDonalds?

Personally I think you're being very unfair if you think that a flower on a first date is an attempt to blind you with meaningless gestures. You'd be right to get rid of a guy who thought he could keep you by buying you flowers and other girly crap. In essence, the flower is just a gift - and not always is a gift an attempt to impress. It's just something which may brighten your day. If it doesn't, then meh, but unless he gets something hideous, I don't think it's fair to mark a man down for trying to make some sort of effort.

But that's just me. I'd be unlikely to buy a flower on a first date....or would I...? :/
    Glad I'm out of all that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Seamus,
    I'm going to have to side with marie_85 on this one. Flowers on a first date would be a big no no for me for two reasons. The first is that it shows you have no imagination. You may intend it to be just a gift but to me it sends the signal : "I want to get you something and you're a girl and girls like flowers so you must like flowers ( I don't know what ones yet so I hope you like these)"

Secondly, it says "I am not enough". It's not enough that a girl would want to spend some time with you and get to know you but you have to buy her time by some token.

If you really want to give her something then do, put some thought into it and without knowing her flowers are not it. Maybe in some sappy kind of way but you don't want that.

I think I've read you post before that you're in a long term relationship. Now in that it's completely different. You know what she likes so you can buy her her favourite flowers just because it's a Thursday and you were thinking of her and you want her to smile. Definitely not on a first date though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well...here's my opinion as a woman -

If you've done something minor to offend your girlie, maybe turning up at her door with a sincere apology AND some flowers might appease her. Just stuffing a few roses in her face won't do much. If you've seriously messed up a couple of plants certainly aren't gonna do the trick!!!

As for flowers on a first date I think some people are terribly hard on the poor nervous fella with the bunch of posies...when's the last time we heard about a woman turning up with a gift for a man??

When you don't know each other he's hardly going to have a deep and meaningful present. Besides, I though the point of a gift was the effort and the thought, not the gift itself.

Advertisement