Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble in Dublin: For the Love of Ulster

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Hobbes wrote:

what spin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

county wrote:
    what spin?

The first loyalist march in Dublin since Partition had to be rerouted after thousands of republican protesters rioted in the centre of the Irish capital yesterday, with several Irish police among 40 people injured.

Well first off the march never actually took place. They were back on the bus and rioting started after that. Secondly the "republican protestors". The majority were skangers who could give two ****s about it. Used as an excuse to riot and cause mayhem. Unless they mean by Republican they mean "Irish people". But words are interesting. I have seen people in various other threads try to tie Republican to SF, when the reports are that SF were not there (not to be confused with RSF).

hid their faces with Celtic scarves

The majority couldn't of cared less they were being taken pictures of. Its obvious in a lot of the footage you can see. Professional rioters are normally kitted up before anything takes part.

What I have seen from footage and from what I saw on the day the rioting had little to do with political agendas.

I have also noticed there is no big news on the loyalists having a go at Catholics up north after heading home. It is obvious even if they got out of the starting gate and no aggro was given by Dublin people that these people would of started it.
    http://dailyireland.televisual.co.uk/home.tvt?_ticket=KLFOV53X1GSGX237CAMAAQ6GAMKACK3URGQFIR0CANZECNSCDKYJVQRFLZ9KMMTEDYLABHSI7RXEIOPNFYSEANYPFGSGW4UGHONCNU0DALOL6Z5FURUSJORE9NTHLF8WBHSJ7QRFOSMAAT2DALOLM&_scope=DailyIreland/Content/News&id=24750&opp=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

whiskeyman wrote:
    Those that rioted and looted are the idiots... do not tar everyone that was on O'Connell St that day.

I have to disagree. I still think a silent protest would have been the way to go. Those Orange bigots would really have been shown up. But, having spoken to people in person, there's about a 50/50 split in opinion on the reactions. A lot of people were incensed at the march being allowed in the first place.

whiskeyman wrote:
    You still never answered my question in relation to your statement that wearing the flag is "total disrespect" in general, and in the examples I gave.

I still think that. Maybe I wasn't clear on this. Sporting heroes (like the ones in your picture) are not bringing the Flag into disrepute. They have achieved one of the sought-after goals in their profession, and are displaying their proudness of being Irish.

Likewise, we all, at some stage, wear t-shirts bearng the Tricolour, but again it's out of pride of being Irish. But draping yourself in the Irish Flag, IMHO, demeans it. Especially at an event like last Saturday. Realistically (although it never happens in any country really) the flag should be raised at dawn and lowered at dusk and treated with the respect it deserves.

When I see people draped in the Tricolour at a protest it really does, for me, bring an image of the worst form of English football hooligan into my mind. Hope that clears it up for you.:)

Hobart wrote:
    I think whiskeyman was commenting on your wide-sweeping statement. Your reacting, which is understandable. But in your reactions you are making exactly the same mistake as those people who participated in violence on Saturday. Your equating "everybody" in O'Connell St as being sub-human. Your simply wrong or mis-informed. Some people where there to cause trouble, some where there to voice their opposition and some where there to observe. SO not "all" of them are as you have described.

For my part I feel that the marchers should have been welcomed and applauded through our fair city.

Fair enough. Hands up. A badly-worded post.:o But, unfortunately, these mindless thugs manage to wind up the most mild-mannered people (I don't know how I would have reacted myself TBH if I had been there) and it just goes from there.

Hobbes wrote:
    The first loyalist march in Dublin since Partition had to be rerouted after thousands of republican protesters rioted in the centre of the Irish capital yesterday, with several Irish police among 40 people injured.

hid their faces with Celtic scarves

http://dailyireland.televisual.co.uk/home.tvt?_ticket=KLFOV53X1GSGX237CAMAAQ6GAMKACK3URGQFIR0CANZECNSCDKYJVQRFLZ9KMMTEDYLABHSI7RXEIOPNFYSEANYPFGSGW4UGHONCNU0DALOL6Z5FURUSJORE9NTHLF8WBHSJ7QRFOSMAAT2DALOLM&_scope=DailyIreland/Content/News&id=24750&opp=1

I don't think spin even covers that. But - hey - hasn't it been going on in the Brit mdeia about us for years?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Freddie59 wrote:
    I have to disagree. I still think a silent protest would have been the way to go.

The best protest I have seen was on the Ormeau Road the day after the Quinn children were burnt to death.

A bit of background for those not familiar. This was at the height of the Drumcree protests, the Grand Wizard of the LOL had called for people to take to the streets and protest in support of the Orange Brethren. And they did. A couple of scumbags threw a couple of petrol bombs through the window of a “Catholic” house in Ballymoney.

The house caught fire quite nicely. The mother had gotten out and had to be physically restrained from re-entering the house as the children were heard screaming “mommy mommy help, my feet are burning.”

It was all over the news the next day. I was watching the coverage on UTV. It is the first time I ever a news presenter crying.

Later that day an contentious Orange Parade was due to go down the Ormeau Road. The Parades Commission had given approval and the RUC were there in order to force it down if necessary, as they were required to by law.

There was no need to force it. The protesters simply stood by the side of the road with black armbands and signs reading “shame on you.” Very powerful TV, made more effective by the Orange Men walking down the road with big sh1t kicking grins as they had “won.”

There is a great book on the issue at Drumcree. Towards the end the author interviews a leading but unnamed Orange Man. When asked why they didn’t simply parade through their own areas he replied “what would be the point like?” I think this is indicative of the attitude within the LOL regardless of anything else they say.

I consider myself to be quite liberal but I do have an issue with Orange marches going through areas where they are not wanted. Part of this may come from listening to the bands play “don’t bury me in Ireland’s fenian valleys” and other “kick the pope” songs as they passed my local Catholic church when I was a child. Perhaps it is to do with the insults we received from the scumbags as they passed our house, who knows?

What I do know is this. If it was the North’s Parades Commission making the decision on whether or not the parade would go ahead in Dublin the answer would have been NO, NEVER.

Also, how would a similar Republican Victim parade fare on the Shankill road in Belfast, now well I would think?

I am not making excuses for the rioters, they are scumbags through and through. Whilst I personally do not think the FAIR parade should have been given permission to the parade I am disgusted by the riot.

The parade got exactly the reaction the organisers wanted it to. The loyalist politicians are, I find, not usually the smartest tools in the box but they played a blinder on Saturday.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

It sounds as if people are really surprised and shocked by what happened. Personally I wasn't at all - it was patently obvious what would happen and (More Probably) would have been arranged.

This is the same as when the Guards got there water cannon - big unveiling and hoo har in the press during the week and of course you just 'Knew' it was going to be used.

Most of this is just hired brain dead chumps, goaded on by there hirers to commit these acts.

I remember years ago I went to an NF meeting in England - just to see what the crack was all about like. The hall they used had been hired under some pretext or other and that pretext had no relation to the NF in any way. What happens? About ten minutes after the speakers had finished (talking a load of crap basically) a load of shouting and what not out side.

'Somehow' the commies brigade and anti NF league had arrived at the venue..All I ever thought was where did the organisers/speakers disappear to?

I treat this kind of thing with the interest it deserves - Disdainfully. If anyone thought that this was going to be peacefull by any means they need a bloody brain transplant. Talk about a 'Set-Up' if I ever saw one.

Theres allso been comments relating to what Mary McAleese said last year - ie the Nazi Comment - She was wrong in what she said - Not what she said - she missed the bit of it being a two edged sword - The same applys to both sides!

Personally I just wish people would grow up and be what they 'Supposedly' are first. A Human Being then be anything they damn well please to be as long as they do not ram it down my throat with there imbecilic retoric..

*Yawns* yet another boring Set Up

Advertisement