Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Esat ADSL to Wireless Facts?

• 25-02-2006 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my home network to a wireless one but want to get some facts straight first.

I have a ADSL connection to east, A Zyxel prestige 600 broadband router, which runs into a 5 port mini hub (Ethernet), with a Mac and a PC enjoying unadulterated file and internet sharing :) .

I would like to intoduce my PSP to this and have the flexibiltity to add a laptop aswell.

Am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is replace the mini hub with a Wireless router, Would I need to set the Braodband Router to "bridging"? and are there any other things I should take into consideration? :confused:

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Clone wrote:
    Hi,

I would like to upgrade my home network to a wireless one but want to get some facts straight first.

I have a ADSL connection to east, A Zyxel prestige 600 broadband router, which runs into a 5 port mini hub (Ethernet), with a Mac and a PC enjoying unadulterated file and internet sharing :) .

I would like to intoduce my PSP to this and have the flexibiltity to add a laptop aswell.

Am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is replace the mini hub with a Wireless router, Would I need to set the Braodband Router to "bridging"? and are there any other things I should take into consideration? :confused:

Any help would be great.

You pretty much have it in one, just have to get the gear, set it up and try it out. Would think you definitly have to set the modem to bridge mode then just plug into the router then you could even hang the hub off the router if you liked, should all work fine, if not then you know where to ask...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

Thanks for clarifying this for me, I'll be getting my router in the week I'll le tyou know how I get on

I had been told by a shop in Town that I would have to get an all in one modem/hub as I use ADSL, I knew this couldn't be correct but had to make sure before I go spending on the internet, only to have to return.

Thanks Again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Hi Clone

I have a canyon wireless router connected to a Zyxel Prestige 600 modem on ESAT/BT broadband and I can verify that the setup works just fine.

The wireless router also has a four port ethernet router built in so you can still hardwire the desktops if you want.

I bought the canyon wireless router from http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

If memory serves I didn't have to alter the modem setup at all - the output of the modem just plugs into the WAN port of the router and the router acts as the new internet gateway with network address translation to allow multiple computers to use the one internet connection.

Hi Mike,

Thanks i feel very confident now where I wasn't yesterday,

I had a look at markx computers site looks good, and it's nearby I'll be in there tommorow to purchase my router. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I'm a big fan of Marx - service is excellent and they are very good to take stuff back if you order the wrong thing.

They have a special two for €50 offer on wireless adapters too which is worth checking out if you need any.

If you do get the Canyon router and have any difficulties setting it up drop me a PM. I can check out the settings on my own one for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

im with bt and have the following setup,

Netgear DG834G v2 adsl modem router

i dont use the zyxel box that bt supplied, just entered relevant data into above (pppoe, llc etc)

works a charm

Hi all

I went down to Marx today, they've stopped selling the canyon and now do a D-link DI524 for 4 euro cheaper.

As expected, replaced the ethernet switch with the wireless D-link, the wired connections worked straight away,

as for the wireless, I setup WEP pasword, there was a second where my PSP was connecting to it but not being able to go online, a quick run of the wizard 30 sec's or so, and badda bing, badda boom there's google on my psp. :D

I'm off to my sitting room to browse from there, all I need is a keyboard for my psp now!! (or a laptop)

Thanks for the replies,

by the way Marx great service very friendly. thanks Mad Mike

Advertisement