Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican Riots in O'Connell Street

Options
  • 25-02-2006 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

disgraceful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Agreed ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are SF organising this? I doubt it myself.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

There is an extreamly active thread on the goings on http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893946

do we really need another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

Got any pictures/video?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

News Linkhttp://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0225/loyalist.html

I dont think theyd be out endorsing it as SFIRA policy. Mind you, its their voting demographic thats out there doing the rioting and its amazing bad fortune that 300 people looking to start riots all managed to show up randomly on the appointed hour...

Either way the Love Ulster organisers have got what they wanted - the march is irrelvant, theyve "proven" that they will be marginalised and attacked in any United Ireland, justifying their opposition to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Republican SF organized a counter protest to the Love Ulster one, they are probably responsible for this kicking off

What is it with Republicans that they will not accept the other point of view, let the loyalists have their march and go home, just ignore them.

Sand wrote:
    News Linkhttp://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0225/loyalist.html
    Either way the Love Ulster organisers have got what they wanted - the march is irrelvant, theyve "proven" that they will be marginalised and attacked in any United Ireland, justifying their opposition to it.

True, played right into their hands, just confirms to me what I have always hought, republicans are idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Correct that the riots are disgraceful but your thread title is also disgraceful

Correct that the riots are disgraceful but your thread title is also disgraceful

Ture is should be changed to Republicans Riot in o'Connell Street

Pathetic, sad individuals that's all I can describe them and all who defend them as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Seems to me that any SF counter protest was firmly hijacked by council estate kiddies, using the fact that cops already have their hands full, to create the mayhem they're so good at.
    Fact is this was always going to cause trouble...we as a state can barely cope with the crime/anti-social behaviour rate we have during normal proceedings....it takes a scenario like this to point out just how ill prepared the forces of the state are to cope with violence on a mass scale.

I still think that those who sanctioned the go ahead of the LU march, have to bear some responsibility for what has happened...the naievety of certain politicians in making this decision is laughable.
    Just heard PD's offices have had their windows smashed...poetic justice? Oh I'm going to hell for that one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

The rioters may be out of line but they are clearly morons and everyone knew they would react this way. The majority of the blame clearly lies with the "Love Ulster" organisers who put this thing together in order to cynically draw some idiots into starting these riots so they could prove that their "culture" would not be accepted in a united Ireland. The naive, pc politicians who somehow thought this whole thing would just pass by deserve a fair share of the blame too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

of course they're not. they have more sense than someting like this, especialy given the current climate.

only a complete retard would actually believe that SF organised this.

This was certain to happen especially after rumours that the marchers today would be holding pictures of the suspect in the Dublin bombing
    Loyalists may carry Dublin bomber pictures

by Ciarán Barnes

23/02/2006

Organisers of a loyalist march through Dublin have said they cannot guarantee that images of a man accused of murdering 26 people in the city will not not be displayed during the demonstration.

Speaking to Daily Ireland yesterday, Love Ulster organiser Willie Frazer said: “I can’t give a guarantee a photograph of Robert McConnell will not be carried because I wouldn’t be against anyone carrying Robert’s photograph.”

Robert McConnell was a dual member of the Ulster Defence Regiment and Ulster Volunteer Force. He murdered scores of Catholics in the 1970s.
    He played a part in the 1974 Dublin and Monaghan bombings in which 33 people died. Twenty-six died in the Dublin attack.

Speaking in 1999, John Weir, a former member of the RUC with whom Robert McConnell went on murder missions, implicated him in a further eight killings.
    The mass murderer was shot dead by the IRA in 1976. Images of him have been carried at previous rallies organised by Mr Frazer’s victims group Families Acting for Innocent Relatives.

Despite the weight of evidence linking McConnell to at least 41 sectarian murders, Mr Frazer defended the killer’s reputation.
    “Anybody I know who knew Robert would say there is no way he was involved in anything. He was involved with the security forces and he helped the SAS and stuff like that but a lot of people would say that was just part of his job,” said Mr Frazer.
    Relatives of those murdered in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings criticised Mr Frazer. Margaret Irwin of the Justice for the Forgotten group said his defence of McConnell was “very insensitive”.
    She said: “We have very good information that McConnell was involved with the gang who we are convinced carried out the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.
    “We believe McConnell was involved in up to 55 murders. There can be no doubt he was heavily involved with loyalist paramilitaries.”
    Up to 1,000 loyalists and six bands are expected to take part in Saturday’s Love Ulster parade along O’Connell Street. The march is to start at 12.30pm and is expected to last one hour.
    Orange Order members will take part but will not wear sashes or collarettes.
    Yesterday morning, Republican Sinn Féin held a press conference in Dublin at which the party unveiled plans to protest against the march. The Continuity IRA has also vowed to disrupt the parade.
    Love Ulster held a victims rally in Belfast last October. The event was widely criticised because it failed to give any mention to those who had suffered at the hands of loyalists and the state.
    Loyalists paramilitaries such as Ulster Defence Association leader Jackie McDonald helped launch the Love Ulster campaign last September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    The rioters may be out of line but they are clearly morons and everyone knew they would react this way. The majority of the blame clearly lies with the "Love Ulster" organisers who put this thing together in order to cynically draw some idiots into starting these riots so they could prove that their "culture" would not be accepted in a united Ireland. The naive, pc politicians who somehow thought this whole thing would just pass by deserve a fair share of the blame too.

that's true, although the blame shouldn't be absolved from those who rioted lets not forget. but having said that, the gardaí clearly didn't have any kind of proper structure for policing this in place, and those who allowed this to go ahead despite the fact there'd obviously be some kind of counter demonstration clearly didn't have a clue about what was likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This was certain to happen especially after rumours that the marchers today would be holding pictures of the suspect in the Dublin bombing

Yeah right, thats why they wrecked the place.

:rolleyes:

F*cking scumbags, should be shot on sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Has Gerry Adams condemned the violence...

They were proving a point, that they would be discrimated against in a United Ireland. All youre doing is reinforcing the logic.

daveirl wrote:

Totally agree but obviously some people felt they needed to cause trouble

Frazer will be very happy going back home now

F*cking scumbags, should be shot on sight.

Calling for murder while condemning a riot.. how apt

• Advertisement

Sand wrote:
    They were proving a point, that they would be discrimated against in a United Ireland. All youre doing is reinforcing the logic.

Proving a point, the point that if you piss people off they will react badly? What would happen if there was an Al Queda march in London/New York/Madrid/Bali etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

That's it Dub, blame someone else.
    This would not have happened to the extent it did if Republican s**t heads has not organized a counter protest.

It's Saturday afternoon, should you not be at a Celtic match or something ????

daveirl wrote:

It may be an extreme comparison but the principle is the same. The guy in the suicide gear was one guy, it was not the point of that particular protest.

ateam wrote:

stop trolling, it's an hour after it broke out and it has nothing to do with provo Sinn Fein. has Ian Paisley? has Peter Hain? has Ronald McDonald?

Proving a point, the point that if you piss people off they will react badly? What would happen if there was an Al Queda march in London/New York/Madrid/Bali etc

Dunno? I know SFIRA happily hold meetings in a Northern Irish hotel they bombed many times - name escapes me and no I wont be googling for it...

That's it Dub, blame someone else.
    This would not have happened to the extent it did if Republican s**t heads has not organized a counter protest.

No one to blame but the people involved. Questions need to be asked and they are very valid questions

1. Who allowed this in O'Connell Street when O'Connell Street was a building site. Very handy for people to get their hands on things to throw

2. This is exactly what was predicted ages ago. This is exactly the type of reaction that LU wanted.

The whole thing is a farce

Sand wrote:
    Dunno? I know SFIRA happily hold meetings in a Northern Irish hotel they bombed many times - name escapes me and no I wont be googling for it...

Well if they do that then people affected by republican violence would be pretty justified in kicking up a fuss. The rioters may be too stupid to see that they are doing what the march organisers wanted today but that doesn't negate the fact that this is exactly what the march organisers wanted and it is their fault this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

ateam wrote:
    Seán Crowe has

• Advertisement

Sean Crowe (SF TD) was on newstalk about an hour ago totally and utterly condemning the trouble. SF had called for people to ignore this march. Some people (the thread starter & ateam) would not believe it though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement