Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican Riots in O'Connell Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I suppose you are correct when people are ignorant of the facts. The thread title is wrong.

The thread title was correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Apologist for the riot? please show
    I did in quoting you. Let me join the dots for you however - claiming that "this is exactly the type of reaction that LU wanted" is little more than claiming that they consciously provoked or engineered the riot. That is the argument of an apologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hobbes wrote:
    TBH I'd say there were a lot of skangers there just taking the piss along with some republican rioters. I didn't see any Irish type stuff splattered on those I did see rioting that you see with the usual Republican head. Parnell area isn't generally a great place to begin with.

Looking at 6:1 looks like you're right. Just a crowd of troublemakers using it as an excuse to loot shops. The walk should not have been allowed, but equally it was a great opportunity to let it pass by and ignore it. It would have not even warranted a mention on 6:1. Instead those idiots have handed the equally bigoted Unionist a PR victory.

A sad day indeed.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

pork99 wrote:
    Agreed. Its time they were permanently put out of business.

Heaven help us all if they get into power in 2007. They must be kept out at all costs. I hope ALL parties (particularly FF) recognise this. They'll set the country back 30 years.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

what a terrible ad for Dublin :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I did in quoting you. Let me join the dots for you however - claiming that "this is exactly the type of reaction that LU wanted" is little more than claiming that they consciously provoked or engineered the riot. That is the argument of an apologist.
    Corinthian you're just a big bad bully, stop bashing poor SFIRA and their ilk :D

Some people on here will never accept personal responsibility for their actions. Blaming Dublin Corporation for leaving cobbles on a building site for the riot is pathetic. It was purely the fault of the subhuman scum who picked up those cobbles and turned them into weapons.

Any guard who fractured a skull should get bonus pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

The people whose property was damaged don't care why it was done.

The people who were injured from simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time don't care why either.

All they care about is that the scum that did this are brought to justice. I hope that every single one of them is caught, tried, and sentanced to 20 years, no parole, breaking rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

gandalf wrote:
    What a pathetic response, what you don't realise is eventhough you don't like the idea Orangemen are actually just as Irish as the rest of us.

Indeed while we might consider Orangemen as Irish as us I'm afraid they would take umbrage with that description and prefer to be acknowledged as British, which is their right.
    gandalf wrote:
    What I am fed up with is the fact we as a country are held back by the backward inward looking middle age politics of Northern Ireland. At this stage we as a country should cut off all but the most basic resources to Northern Ireland and until the "Communities" up there can show they can get on, leave them to it. At the moment Northern Ireland does not deserve to be part of this country.

And how exactly is Northern Ireland politics 'backward inward looking middle age'? Politics in the North has its own specific issues, as does every other country in the world. There are many issues to address and decades of hate and mistrust to work through on all sides.

To say that the Republic should 'cut off all but the most basic resources to Northern Ireland and until the "Communities" up there can show they can get on, leave them to it.' is short sighted and dismissive of the fact that Northern Ireland is a part of Ireland and that those "Communities" you disparingly refer to are made up of Irish people.

As well to say that areas of the country were there are gang wars are held back by the backward inward looking middle age segment and that we should cut off all but the most basic resources until the "Communities" can show they can get on, leave them to it.
    gandalf wrote:
    At the moment Northern Ireland does not deserve to be part of this country.

And what would preclude Northern Ireland deserving to be part of this country? And what at the moment makes the North undeserving of becoming part of this country? Politics which you dislike or politicians who cant get on? There is always politics which you may dislike, that goes hand in hand with having an interest in politics, as does bickering politicians. The criminal element? There is always a criminal element in any country. Or perhaps its the bigotry? Bigotry is alive and well in Ireland at the moment its sad to say(bigotry is not the sole realm of protestants and catholics).

The one response to Northern Ireland that i dislike from people is the '**** em, leave em to it. None of our affair.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Freddie59 wrote:
    Heaven help us all if they get into power in 2007. They must be kept out at all costs. I hope ALL parties (particularly FF) recognise this. They'll set the country back 30 years.:mad:

I must say, I didn't like the way they were recently threatening not to go into coalition with anyone if that law wasn't lifted. Does anyone WANT to go into coalition with them?

I hope people turn away from SFIRA having seen what they and their ilk are capable of on our streets, even if 90% of the scum today were just skangers with no political affiliations (celtic doesn't count!). I wouldn't say SFIRA are too pleased with this at all at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Freddie59 wrote:

Can we all be clear on the difference between Sinn Fein and Republican Sinn Fein please.

I can't stand either, but Republican Sinn Fein are the ones I consider to be complete filth and they most certainly won't be in power in '07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Hobbes wrote:
    TBH I'd say there were a lot of skangers there just taking the piss along with some republican rioters. I didn't see any Irish type stuff splattered on those I did see rioting that you see with the usual Republican head. Parnell area isn't generally a great place to begin with.
    Mrs Whale was also in town with one of the young Whales, and would agree with your assessment. They managed to wander onto O'Connell Street in the aftermath of the festivities, and said any 'rioters' they saw were the typical 14 year old skangers who'd take any excuse to cause trouble. The republican element, to the extent it was present, looks to have been the fruitcakes from Republican SF rather than mainstream SF. In fairness to SF - and I still would not vote for them in a fit - I would not associate them with this kind of pure nonsense.

What this essentially means, regretably, is that the Gardai allowed a loose coalition of whacko marginalised extremists who take their orders from a medium channelling Pearse and standard issue gougers to prevent a significant peaceful political protest to proceed. While the rioters are responsible for their own actions, we have shown our State to be incapable of determining who can demonstrate and express their views in public.

I've just seen Jeffrey Donaldson asking what's the point of talking about giving NI MPs like himself rights to speak in the Dail if he can't speak outside it. Reg Empey asked what mainstream Unionists were to take from the fact that they can't even express their view in Dublin. All you can do is agree with them.

The Unionist marchers do seem to acknowledge that the Gardai looked after them in ensuring they were protected from attack. But that's not enough. We, the Republic of Ireland, failed in the defence of a political demonstration we had deemed lawful. That's a pure shame.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I see no compelling reason to vote for any of the SF variants. What do they have to offer us beyond abandoned, popularist reheated Marxism and hatred of English. When/if Northern Ireland rejoins the south, the Raison D'etre for SF will die out. All the same I distrust them and believe they will do just about anything to secure any sort of power.
    The Northern Ireland Bank job proved they are perfectly comfortable with lying barefaced to the Irish public and we need more lying bastards in the Dail like fish need bicycles.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Babybing wrote:
    These scenes are truly disgusting. That riot was a disgrace and all involved should be absolutely ashamed of themselves and are thugs.

What i saw on RTE News was a bunch of thugs pure and simple. I believe there were reports of looting from shops and cars as well - pure scum.

I think the authorities really should cop on and should have thought very carefully the route of this 'march' , everyone and his dog knows the state of O'Connell Street and on a list of provocative marches, this one was up the top.

I saw some of the marchers with Union Jacks - not very thoughtful of them was it to prepare to march past the GPO on Dublins main thoroughfare with that yoke.

And if what another poster said was true about one of the march organisers defence of one of the suspects of the Dublin bombings, well it all adds up to something shifty and that coupled with Govt, Garda and City Council ineptness means questions should be asked and answered (McDowell on SixOne never answered the question why let it go down a building site even though he was asked twice when it was potentially provocative)

Bottom line though, those 'rioters' were utter scum and I hope they got caught on film and are identified one and all and made account for their gutter behaviour.

Mrs Whale was also in town with one of the young Whales, and would agree with your assessment. They managed to wander onto O'Connell Street in the aftermath of the festivities, and said any 'rioters' they saw were the typical 14 year old skangers who'd take any excuse to cause trouble. The republican element, to the extent it was present, looks to have been the fruitcakes from Republican SF rather than mainstream SF. In fairness to SF - and I still would not vote for them in a fit - I would not associate them with this kind of pure nonsense.

What this essentially means, regretably, is that the Gardai allowed a loose coalition of whacko marginalised extremists who take their orders from a medium channelling Pearse and standard issue gougers to prevent a significant peaceful political protest to proceed. While the rioters are responsible for their own actions, we have shown our State to be incapable of determining who can demonstrate and express their views in public.

I've just seen Jeffrey Donaldson asking what's the point of talking about giving NI MPs like himself rights to speak in the Dail if he can't speak outside it. Reg Empey asked what mainstream Unionists were to take from the fact that they can't even express their view in Dublin. All you can do is agree with them.

The Unionist marchers do seem to acknowledge that the Gardai looked after them in ensuring they were protected from attack. But that's not enough. We, the Republic of Ireland, failed in the defence of a political demonstration we had deemed lawful. That's a pure shame.
    Spot on. We were made look like fools today. If the government/Gardai deem a march legal it should be protected. Today was a farce. We should have had many more Gardai (and military if needs be) on duty for this. Spotty little skanger pukes have today made a mockery of our dmocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

According to one guy on newstalk the northern "victims of violence" were waving jacks and hurling sectarian taunts at the other shower of twats. This march should never had been allowed to happen in the format that was planned.

While we're idly speculating i wouldnt be suprised if the local scumbags were kicked off by agent provocateurs in their midst from north of the border, Seems like there was an organised element inciting the trouble to me

Could be republicans or even loyalists. There were factions on both sides who wanted this to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Funny seeing lads still giving out about Sinn Fein here, when they didnt even attend.

The rioters were a bunch of football hooligans.

And from what i heard from the so called victims of republican violence iam glad they didnt get to march.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Put their photos on the paper. Name and shame them.

I highly doubt that idea will make them quiver with apprehension. A bit of infamy goes a long way..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Sarsfield wrote:
    I took a walk up O'Connell St at about 12:45 today. I got as far as Henry St.

Large numbers of typical Dublin scumbags were heading towards Parnell Square. There was nothing political about this riot. From where I stood it looked like nothing but an excuse for the scum of our city to have a go at the Gardai.

However I suspect this is what Republican Sinn Fein hoped for. RSF is the party of scumbags. They are pure filth.

I'm very angry today. I hope the Gardai cracked a lot of skulls.

As an aside, any geniune Celtic supporter would be ashamed today as the uniform of the rioting scumbags WAS the Celtic shirt/scarf combo.
    I was on O'Connell Street for a while today as well (heading to the cinema on the 15A,, the bus driver kicks us off at Hatch Street saying there were serious riots in town, I forgot about the date of the march and was more confused than I've ever been - riots in Dublin city centre?) and agree with your observations. All I could see were inbred Celtic-supporting inner city skangers ripping up the pavement to throw stones at the Gardai. What a horrible advertisement for Ireland...the story made the front page of the US version of Yahoo. A real PR victory for the Unionists, as someone else has mentioned. They must be crowing about right now over at the Love Ulster forums.

Many of us agree with this statement, which seems to reflect reality.
    And from what i heard from the so called victims of republican violence iam glad they didnt get to march.
    Here we part company, as you seem to be joining in with the football hooligans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

the day SF get into power is the day I leave Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 REBEL CORK

Can people please take off there political caps and realise the differance between Sinn Fein ( provisional) and Republican Sinn Fein who the cause of todays violence.

Pal wrote:
    the day SF get into power is the day I leave Ireland.

There was a quite interesting article by Stephen Fry about this a while ago in some newspaper or other; what would your country have to do to convince you to leave (his example, for Britain, was capital punishment). I'm not sure if I'd go just because of their election, though. It would depend very much upon what, if anything, they did.

REBEL CORK wrote:
    Can people please take off there political caps and realise the differance between Sinn Fein ( provisional) and Republican Sinn Fein who the cause of todays violence.
    Not an easy thing to ask.

People will associate them with this whether SF like it or not and Rep SF probably like it that way :rolleyes:

SF should have the copy right on the party title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Funny seeing lads still giving out about Sinn Fein here, when they didnt even attend.

After years of hearing denials by SF of any involment with the IRA and your obvious glee at the outcome, you’ll forgive me if I trust what you’re saying as far as I’d spit a dead rat.

Earthman wrote:
    Not an easy thing to ask.

People will associate them with this whether SF like it or not and Rep SF probably like it that way :rolleyes:

SF should have the copy right on the party title.

Strictly speaking, they could POSSIBLY claim and assert a trademark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

Why is sinn fein mentioned so much,
    Whoever sent those lads down from the north were experts in riot starting and knew what o'connell street had to offer thuggets.
    Think about whatelse has been in the news lately about the 90th anniversary ,this was a plan that worked and we won't be able to live it down.
    O'conell street will have to be finished ASAP and maybe then we can start.

Why is sinn fein mentioned so much,
    Whoever sent those lads down from the north were experts in riot starting and knew what o'connell street had to offer thuggets.
    Think about whatelse has been in the news lately about the 90th anniversary ,this was a plan that worked and we won't be able to live it down.
    O'conell street will have to be finished ASAP and maybe then we can start.

Er, and in English? What precisely is your argument?

It is important not to lose sight of the issue here, so in the hope of putting the SF/RSF thing to bed, here’s the ever helpful wikipedia explanation of who RSF are. They’re a bunch of whackos left over from when SF dropped abstention.

I’m utterly happy to accept and believe all of the things that can and could be laid at the door of SF, but let’s not hang them for what they haven’t done. IMHO, the message from today is the failure of our Republic to protect legitimate dissent.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Sinn_Fein
    Republican Sinn Féin (RSF) is a minor political party1 operating in Ireland. It formed in 1986 as a splinter from Sinn Féin.

The decision was taken in response to Sinn Féin's decision at their 1986 Ard-Fheis to end their policy of abstaining from taking seats won in Dáil Éireann. RSF viewed this as an acceptance of the legitimacy of the partition of Ireland into the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

The splinter was led by the former leader of Sinn Féin, Ruairí Ó Brádaigh and much of the older Southern based membership of the movement who disagreed with Gerry Adams and his Northern based backers. The Continuity IRA, founded in 1994 in opposition to the ceasefire declared by the Provisional IRA, is believed to have links to RSF. Both RSF and the CIRA have been proscribed by the United States State Department as terrorist organisations.

RSF claims to be the true inheritor of a tradition of Irish republicanism that includes the original Sinn Féin of the secessionist Irish Republic declared in 1919, and the 'Old' Irish Republican Army that fought the 1919-1921 War of Independence. It claims via a kind of apostolic succession:

• the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 was incompatible with the Irish Republic and hence null and void.
    • all Irish elections subsequent to the Second Dáil election in 1921 were based on the Treaty and hence illegitimate.
    • The 64 TDs who voted for the Treaty in 1922 had violated their oath to the Irish Republic and abdicated their legitimacy.
    • in entering the Dáil of the Irish Free State in 1927, the anti-Treaty TDs who had joined Fianna Fail had done likewise.
    • the 7 "faithful" TDs of the Second Dáil had transferred their authority to the Army Council of the IRA in 1938.
    • the last remaining of the seven, Tom Maguire, had in 1969 recognised the Provisional IRA (rather than the Official IRA).
    • Maguire subsequently switched to recognising the Continuity IRA in 1987.

These claims are not universally accepted among republicans.......
    I love the deadpan line ‘These claims are not universally accepted among republicans.’ A more correct statement would be ‘These claims are not accepted by anyone in full possession of the faculty of reason.’

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Freelancer wrote:
    Exactly at what point do you start to admit that the responsibility for picking up a paving stone and hurling it at someone starts and stops with the guy who throws it, and not with the builder who put it there?

Good point, regardless of the availability of missiels at hand the people involved would have found things to throw at the gardai no matter where they were
    RTE news mentioned people arrived armed with snooker balls.

These guy knew what the were in town for

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement