Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican Riots in O'Connell Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

breandan wrote:
    The state is welcome to try but the fact of the matter is that the authorities have been trying to defeat Republicanism in one form or another since the start of the troubles and havnt yet been able to.

Personally Im not worried about those who stopped the march taking place being branded as 'fascist' or anything else for that matter.
    They stood up for what they believed in and were victories and thats the bottom line for me.
    As I said Im sorry for the innocents who suffered but thats something for the Loyalist and the authorities and Gardai to deal with.
    This whole sorry mess is of their making

I spoke about my views on the events of yesterday, your the one who turned it into a personal attack because you dont like my views.
    Id say your comments are far more in keeping with those of an '18 year old student whose only experience of oppression is being sent to bed early by your parents.)' than mine.

This is called denial. "Anything bad that happened in my life is obviously someone else's fault". Specious to be honest and has more than a hint of Marxism for Dummies. Aside from that your inane ramblings do nothing for the cause you claim to support but I am glad that some of your compadres choose Nike to help fight for their cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

pork99 wrote:
    Which is why the Love Ulster march should be rescheduled and carried through even if it takes half the Gardai in the country to do it. I couldn't care less where Orangemen march but the principle that the duly elected and legally accountable authorities are in control in this country not a republican rent-a-mob needs to be enforced. How can we have democracy and rule of law if a mob like that can turn out and get what they want by trashing the place? It's simply not acceptable - they are the fascists.
    Thats an naieve point of view.

The accountable authorities in this country are not in control everywhere. They might be in control under that fridge in Stillorgan but not in vast swathes of Dubland.
    There is a huge anti-social problem in this city which has been going on for donkeys years in certain suburbs and which the media and general public seen it join a mob yesterday going on the rampage except this time wss not in some far distant suburb but in city centre , even Bertie and the assistant garda commisioner has said that on TV!
    PS -I'm 31 if that helps and don't wear tracksuits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

What is not clear?

Oh look you miss the point, again.....

Offering loud and explicity condemnation of the government and the LU and half hearted and murmured as an after thought condemnation of the protestors......

Well Its clear to me and everyone else who posts here where where you sympathises really are.

gurramok wrote:

There is a huge anti-social problem in this city which has been going on for donkeys years in certain suburbs

Please stop using that as an excuse. I have met many people who have risen above their environment because they saw a better life for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Greenhorse

Call me a cynic but...

- why were the weapons (bricks, poles, etc) left in O'Connell Street?
    - why were there so few riot cops?
    - why were the "protestors" allowed take control of much of the city centre for up to three hours?
    - why were they not contained in O'Connell Street?
    - why were the army not sent in?
    - why was the march allowed happen at all?

With Sinn Fein's popularity growing in the Republic this will cost them votes. People who might have been fooled by the Sinn Fein PR machine will think twice when they see the photos in the papers tomorrow.

Bertie & co must be very happy about that.

Thats an interesting slant.

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 breandan

is_that_so wrote:
    This is called denial. "Anything bad that happened in my life is obviously someone else's fault". Specious to be honest and has more than a hint of Marxism for Dummies. Aside from that your inane ramblings do nothing for the cause you claim to support but I am glad that some of your compadres choose Nike to help fight for their cause.

Not my 'compadres' as I have nothing to do with RSF I simply support the action they took yesterday.
    As for attacking me personally to provoc a reaction Im afraid it simply wont work.
    However feel free to continue with the personal insults as they says more about you as a person than me.

breandan wrote:
    Not my 'compadres' as I have nothing to do with RSF I simply support the action they took yesterday.
    As for attacking me personally to provoc a reaction Im afraid it simply wont work.
    However feel free to continue with the personal insults as they says more about you as a person than me.

Your arguments such as they are speak for themselves. I merely made an observation on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

is_that_so wrote:
    Please stop using that as an excuse. I have met many people who have risen above their environment because they saw a better life for themselves.
    Yes and i am one of them. (not met you of course)
    There are many who have been left behind in our society and get manipulated and use any opportunity they have to attack people& property who are deemed more 'successful'

Burning cars is an everyday occurance for years where i am, if the Garda bother enforcing the law in the suburbs with a 'broken window' theory among other initiatives, it would help the crime levels dramatically and turn youngsters away from a life of crime.

Ask yourself, why is it unseen and unheard of to have 'middle& upper' class youngsters engage in anti-social activity, they were not in evidence yesterday.
    Dublin has an underclass issue problem and the govt need to tackle it fairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

breandan wrote:

Ah taken from page six of ladybird book of republican violence,

See Dick Run.

See Dick Plant the bomb.

See Dick Run.

See Jane Place the blame on Uk imperialists........

breandan wrote:
    To clear up any misunderstandings about my above post let me make it clear that I do defend the actions of the rioters yesterday.
    As Iv said Im sad that innocents got hurt and damage to hard earned private property was done and that was wrong but it was and is in my view a price worth paying for the greater good in stopping this fascist march from taking place.
    Grand so
    You have no place here
    Peddle that rubbish elsewhere

• Advertisement

breandan wrote:
    I'll admit that it did play into the hands of the march organizers and Loyalism in general but so what, the cause of Ireland has waited 800 years so another few wont make much difference in the grand scheme of things.
    Yeah that was a very patriotic act alright beating up Charlie Bird :rolleyes: speaks volumes for the type of people involved yesterday.
    Total Gurriers and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

breandan wrote:
    I think the violence against public property and innocent individauls was bang out of order and should be condemned outright.
    But as for the orange scum and the gardai who were willing to protect them as they engaged in their fascist behaviour, well done the rioters I say.
    I'll admit that it did play into the hands of the march organizers and Loyalism in general but so what, the cause of Ireland has waited 800 years so another few wont make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

The cause of Ireland? What do you think that is? From your mention of 800 years, I'm going to presume you mean that the cause of Ireland is getting British rule out of the whole island.
    Because, you know what? I'm guessing that the display of mindless thuggery and complete gob****ery yesterday by the lads in the Celtic scarves isn't REALLY going to do much to persuade yer average Joe Soap middle of the road Protestant in NI that being ruled by Dublin is the way forward.

You even know that, and you say so what. So, do you even care about what you call Ireland's cause or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As Iv said Im sad that innocents got hurt and damage to hard earned private property was done and that was wrong but it was and is in my view a price worth paying for the greater good in stopping this fascist march from taking place.

There isn't so much a gap in your logic, but a sucking black hole...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

orange scum

Is there any particular issue with being orange? I could have sworn somewhere I heard something about the Irish flag having as much orange on it as green for some reason or other... Completely slips my mind as to why, I wonder if it's a coincidence...

(Mild sarcasm)

NTM

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

breandan wrote:
    ... Im sad that innocents got hurt and damage to hard earned private property was done and that was wrong but it was and is in my view a price worth paying for the greater good in stopping this fascist march from taking place.
    Would it have been a price worth paying if you yourself got hurt? If it was your property that was destroyed? If someone had been killed? If someone dear to you had been killed? If you had been killed?

What's too high a price to pay?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Earthman wrote:
    Yeah that was a very patriotic act alright beating up Charlie Bird :rolleyes:
    Charlie Bird is an Orange Bastard.

Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

oscarBravo wrote:
    Charlie Bird is an Orange Bastard.

Apparently.

Yeah, got to love that.

I don't know if he even reports on the North! Don't remember him doing so...

Bottom line is this.

1. Legal March attacked by thugs. Who cares who or why, it's enough that it was legal.

2. Marchers leave by bus. Sensible, but regrettable that they had to do so. I would have had no problems with their flags being displayed; they were there marching to remember victims, not piss off the Irish.

I don't support Unionism, and I don't agree with the Orange Order's ideals, but I respect their right to hold their views and with that the right to march and to present their views to others in a public sphere. The thugs that attacked did not respect these rights and they spit in the faces of the Irish people who believe in democracy and free speech.

3. Thugs destroy property, attack people, steal and generally cause mayhem after the march is stopped People get injured in the clashes between Gardai and rioters. I just wish that more of them had been caught and arrested. These kind of people should be punished as a consequence of their actions.

4. Thugs claiming that they represent Irish views? Bollox. The day those thugs represent my views is the day that Ireland becomes a 'banana republic' run by mob rule, prod noses and the Stasi. I would renounce my citizenship if that became the case.

5. I'm not directing this at SF by the way, though doubtless some people who joined SF took part. Thugs are thugs no matter what colour shirt they wear.

6. The fact that the thugs call themselves republicans is damaging to the peace process and to North South relations. It makes us in the South look like sectarian bastards when all but a handful of us are indifferent at worst.

7. I think that the march should be rescheduled, along a route in the Phoenix Park, and should consist of people from both sides... I'd gladly march beside a Unionist or Republican if the point was to remember people on all sides who died.

That's all I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

I have to say that I object to the title of this thread the people who wreaked destruction in our city yesterday are not Republicans
    What happened yesterday had nothing to do with Republicanism of any description it was a bunch of gurriers who have no political toughts never mind a political agenda.

What they did yesterday flys in the face of what Republicanism means.

As an Irish Republican I believe that everyone has a right to speak and be heard no matter how distasteful I or anyone else may find their views.
    The fact is that the people marching yesterday represent the views of a substantial section of the population of this Island. As such they have a right to march in the Main Street of this the Capital City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Pal wrote:
    don't believe you.

Didn't ask you to. Proove to me they were and I'll believe you.

Give my one good reason why they would?

The whole thing was flawed from the begining. all the events just sum up the situation of politcal affairs in this country. A mickey mouse government we're governed by. Really makes me feel my vote was put to good use. Why should I even ****ing bother voting. I just find the whole situation in this country so amusing. I really do :rolleyes:

Makes for entertaining reading in the paper thats all I can say.

• Advertisement

Pepper on a steak is also quite a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Voipjunkie wrote:
    I have to say that I object to the title of this thread the people who wreaked destruction in our city yesterday are not Republicans
    What happened yesterday had nothing to do with Republicanism of any description it was a bunch of gurriers who have no political toughts never mind a political agenda.

What they did yesterday flys in the face of what Republicanism means.

As an Irish Republican I believe that everyone has a right to speak and be heard no matter how distasteful I or anyone else may find their views.
    The fact is that the people marching yesterday represent the views of a substantial section of the population of this Island. As such they have a right to march in the Main Street of this the Capital City.
    Damn straight, they were not representing the republican majority of Ireland. If they were, then every English football riot is representing English football, ect, ect. I am a Republican, and while i fully expected what happened (in fairness, i dont see how anyone could describe it as a shock) i certainly dont feel that these thugs represnted me. In fact, they made what i want, which is obviously a few steps further towards a united Ireland, further into the future if anything. If you look at the videos and pics that are out there, there are very few people in peaceful protest, who didnt even touch a stone or bottle, who genuinely were working to show their feelings, but not destroy their own capital. I actually recognised one person in one of the videos i saw online and i have to say, he is the type i would have put in this mess. I did Irish History in School with him and lets just say his interest in the class was very limited...then i see him here, supposedly acting on behalf of the republican people by hurling bricks and bottles?!? Well, **** him and anyone like him. Republicanism has enough credibility problems, especially up north where people are filled with propeganda that we are all a bunch of thugs, and these assholes have certainly done us no favours. I say, if this march is orginised for another date (which it wont be), sit to the side..chant if you will...sing if you will but keep it peaceful. Dont give Paisley and those other **** what they want, which is an excuse to further blacken the name of SF and republicans in general, which they were gifted with yesterday!

Anyway, rant over. Final notes are that our wonderful Taoiseach and Garda Commissioner, by allowing this march in the first place, have proved to me that they are not honourable Irishmen in my eyes. When it was accepted by them, a few thousand more Irish people proved they are not honourable Irishmen by their actions. Very few are actually looking towards the best path to unity, but hopefully one day, the scum like we saw yesterday will actually think for a second and do whats in the best interests of our 32 counties. And while i feel that there is alot of candidates for "RTE Politically Correct Correspondant" who are saying what they think is right, and not what they feel, i know there are people out there who honestly believe that the tango's should be allowed march. We will agree to disagree but i think we all agree that what happened in the end was a fukin disgrace.

Sorry if this is a CRAZY post, but i have had a few drinkies.

Go n'Eiri An Bothar Leat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Nalced_irl wrote:

Anyway, rant over. Final notes are that our wonderful Taoiseach and Garda Commissioner, by allowing this march in the first place, have proved to me that they are not honourable Irishmen in my eyes.

Because... they allowed freedom of expression? Is freedom of expression contrary to being an 'honourable Irishman' these days? Or just an 'honourable SFer'?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You can't say you support Sinn Fein (Republican or otherwise) and not be tarnished by what happened on Saturday. You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

This was the ultimate ulgy face of racism in Ireland exposed.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Nalced_irl wrote:
    , which is obviously a few steps further towards a united Ireland, further into the future if anything.

United Ireland will never happen in my life time my kids life or my gandkids life time and personally I wouldnt want it, and I am very proud to be a republician, why.....Cause you think things where bad in the 70's/80's? if the the 32 counties became one unionist would go fcuking bannanas, Dublin would be worse then belfast ever was.

Leave them with there six counties, it's like a child crying cause another kid has a toy he wants, five minutes after getting he will move on to something else.

Question for Republicians why do you want the six counties other then "cause they are ours"? They arent the people we look up to as republician who got us the 26 counties signed away the other 6, they arent ours and never will be.

Over 90% of people who live in the country agree, IMO cut it off and let them float to antartica for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

DeVore wrote:
    You can't say you support Sinn Fein (Republican or otherwise) and not be tarnished by what happened on Saturday. You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.
    :eek:

Stupefying logic with absolutely nothing to back it up.
    DeVore wrote:
    This was the ultimate ulgy face of racism in Ireland exposed.
    What on earth are you talking about.

SYLLABICATION: rac·ism
    PRONUNCIATION: rszm
    NOUN: 1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Where was the racism on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Where was the racism on Saturday?
    The R word tends to be bandied about a lot here....sure why not throw it in for good measure. :) I think he's trying to imply that Ireland's answer to the KKK/DUP gang were the victims of reverse racism here. I heard O'Bradaigh and Donaldson on Newstalk yesterday...both seem to suffer from the same psychological afflictions. He kept talking about "free state forces" like he just walked out of the 1920's and Donaldson seemed quite happy with the situation and said "we have a border" "we have a border" we should draw a dotted line in for him to help. lets face it they gave the scummers a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Saturday was a disgrace, but at least everyone got to see what sort of people certain housing estates are producing. A lot of politicans don't give a damn about certain areas and this is what the neglect is producing.

It doesn't excuse what happened, however what happened on Saturday was that no-go areas in the suburbs moved in to the city centre.

What is about some people who feel that wearing a British football jersey makes them 'so Irish'? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

dabhoys wrote:
    Well the law is supposed to be part of the state so law in it most basic principles is politcal either way. The elections in the states for judges aren't like the campaigns you see for Mayor etc. They're voted in by the people on there merit. There nominated by there peers and then the people decide who gets the job. I'm sorry I have no faith in the judicial system here. Why should a bunch of self appointed wig wearing snobs appoint another wig wearing snob to be a judge. Why do they have the right. I just don't agree with it thats all. I think its a like a small little club that all their friends are in.

All your idea would mean is that unpopular decisions could never be made. Every choice would have to be made based on public opinion and those able to spin well would get off. (think of the farmer who shot a traveller).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Saturday was a disgrace, but at least everyone got to see what sort of people certain housing estates are producing. A lot of politicans don't give a damn about certain areas and this is what the neglect is producing.
    I think that statement is an insult to the 95% of law abiding citizens in "neglected areas"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement