Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Duff"'s dirty election tactics! (Kind of big news!)

Options
  • 25-02-2006 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

I had a rather interesting conversation with someone on the bus this morning. Said person was on the way to UCD to meet the new Returning Officer, Morgan Shelley regarding the fact that the candidate for the presidency whose campaign they are working on as of this morning had just over 30 posters left, out of the allocated 300. Another of the Presidential candidates is in much the same boat. The reason? Enda Duffy and his campaign team.

Members of Mr. Duffy's campaign team have been seen ripping down posters, and have even gone so far as to remove Miss Ní Threasaigh's posters that were attached to poles using plastic ties (I have no information regarding similarly attached posters pertaining to Mr. Hayden's campaign). These ties must be cut to remove them, so there is no possibility of this being brushed off as an accident. What is more, the posters are erected at such a height as to require a ladder to aid their removal. (There is video evidence to support these claims.) It has also been said that in a recent meeting regarding the destruction of the posters for both Miss Ní Threasaigh and Mr. Hayden's campaigns, Mr. Duffy's team not only denied their involvement, but also said that if it had happened to their posters and they found the culprits to be in the race for the sabbatical elections, they would demand their disqualification.

As far as I know, the intention of one, if not both of the injured parties in this debacle will include providing a service on campus prior to the elections, ensuring that the video evidence referred to above will be hosted for public perusal, should a meeting that is most likely currently occurring not garner the afforementioned disqualification of Mr. Duffy. Make no mistake about it, there exists two hours of video footage showing the wilful and reprehensible behaviour of Mr Duffy's team. The level of manipulation shown by this behaviour is, to my mind, not only totally abhorrent but also far from the behaviour of one who should be entrusted with our welfare as Student Union President.

For any person to launch a personal vendetta on a fellow SU Sabbatical candidate is unnecessary, but for behaviour such as this to occur within days of the elections is positively shameful, to my mind. As a current undergraduate student, and a potential postgraduate one next year, I sure as hell don't want my voice to be tied to that of someone who would stoop so low in order to attempt an unfair advantage over his fellow athletes (this is apparently a race, is it not?). All is fair in love and war, but this is neither love, nor war, nor should it be treated as such.

If anyone on these boards is a member of said campaign team, I'd love, as a voter, to be given a reason as to why Mr. Duffy felt such behaviour necessary, and why, in light of these claims, he should still be considered by the student body as a viable candidate for presidency of my, your, his, her and their Student's Union.

[Sorry, had to correct one of the typos that I actually noticed! Apologies for the ones I've missed!]

Should Enda Duffy still be allowed to run for Student's Union president? 42 votes

Not if the claims of poster destruction by his campaign team are true.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, he'd still do a damn fine job.
    100% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Where's the option for "I really don't care" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 student-type

Look if this true, then the returning officer will just look at the video tapes an Enda will probably get punished. Shouldn't you wait to see what the verdict is before you vilify the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

That is absolutely disgraceful! I admit I laughed at the vandalism of one of Endas posters [action was changed to fiction] and something written on Dan's but I think that actually taking down candidates posters is just not on and is downright low... Especially if ladders were involved which means it was obviously planned and not a spontaeneous thing. Disgraceful stuff as i've said and I think that any candidate that stoops to this shouldnt really be allowed to run [and isnt somebody i'd like representing me] ...or at least be forbidden from having their posters displayed or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

As someone who posters for events quite regularly with world aid, i just wanna point out that's it's not unusual for people to take down or cover other posters. It happens all the time, and yes it's ridiculously annoying but it's a cut-throat world!!

My posters are sometimes gone within 5 minutes of them being put up, and it's even more annoying since we're such a small society that valuable money is spent on those posters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Beany, I feel that pain. Small things get partially covered by one society, another sovers another bit, and soon the entire thing has disappeared.

Student-type... it's the probably that gets me. Besides, I want an explanation. The person I was talking to was referring to both Dan and Orla's campaigns, despite working for only one of them. I think it's disgraceful that anyone would do that to someone when they'll be representing them next year if elected. If someone stabbed me in the back like that and went on to represent me, I wouldn't be a happy bunny, would you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

I've seen services taking down posters too.

Theres no fair play in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Oh, and if I'm wrong, I'll make a public apology to the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hmm, well if thats true its pretty pathetic. This is college politics for fúck sake :rolleyes:

If there is video evidence that shows that this is all true then he should be disqualified. Thats seriously not on.

Also pilson, I've seen services take down posters too....but thats because they were unauthorised. Some of them had nothing to do with the college and were put up by chancers. Others were taken down because they were intentionally covering posters of smaller societies who were organising charity events, while they had a hell of a lot more posters around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

There is video evidence of a member of Team Duffy (this allegiance has been confirmed by Enda himself) removing posters from the Computer Science building at midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning. This person (a postgraduate student who therefore has access to a keycard gaining entry to the building) also had access to the Science building outside of standard opening hours. All of Dan Hayden's outdoor posters, with the exception of the very few placed at ladder height on the pillars outside the library, were systematically removed. All of Órla Ní Threasaigh's posters that were placed on backing boards (and attached securely to poles with cable ties) at both the Clonskeagh and Foster's Avenue were removed and posters of Enda Duffy's later appeared in their places. Dan Hayden's team presented this evidence, along with a photographic slideshow detailing the places on the outdoor campus where the remains of his posters were still (just about) on display, at the aforementioned meeting today to the UCDSU Returning Officer, Mr Morgan Shelley; and the Chief Returning Officer, Mr Patrick O'Flynn.

Dan Hayden, through this malicious process, has lost over 200 posters. Órla Ní Threasaigh, while not having lost quite as many physical posters, has lost all of her backing boards and (which her team consider equally as important) the many hours of labour and preparation that went into these posters and boards. Enda's punishment, for being caught red-handed, is a fine of 150 posters and non-delivery of his flyers (due on Monday). This is akin to being fined €80 for stealing €100.

Even though Dan was targeted specifically, he is still, after the punishment laid upon Duffy's team, the biggest aggregate loser.

We lay this information out on a purely factual basis and would implore all readers of boards.ie to make their decisions about their votes in the Presidential poll based on what they make of this.

- from members of the election teams of Dan Hayden and Órla Ní Threasaigh

[edited to fix some typos. -ss]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Duck

If there is proof - show it.

If it is the candidate or his named and stated campaign manager involved then of course questions must be answered. Nobody should be eliminated from the race though, that is not democracy. The ripping of posters etc is not fair and not acceptable behaviour from any side. However, neither is the more sinister method of spreading false rumours and accusations regarding the ripping of posters in order to get a stronger candidate eliminated. Hayden is smug enough to believe that he can beat Orla but clearly is rattled by Duffy and, stupidly, sees him as his main & only competition.

Anybody involved in SU politics over the last number of years will be aware of the credentials and credibility of both Hayden's and Duffy's campaign teams. If Duffy's were the type to engage in such 'dirty' tactics - surely the would have done so during last years election against Dave Curran. They didn't. It was a close race, and a fair one with both candidates getting their full deposits returned to them given their fair behaviour during the campaign.

Hayden ran against RON - i.e. nobody. Furthermore, Hayden's campaign manager during previous elections and Referenda has very publically engaged in and endorsed 'Dirty tactics' such as poster rips and dumping opponents manifestos in bins at campaign meetings.

If one was to believe all the rumours spread in regards to poster ripping - then you must also take into consideration the allegations that were being thrown from both Hayden's and Orla's campaign teams at EACH OTHER the night of the poster race. Should they also be expelled from the election?

• Advertisement

I think that kind of "punishment" is pretty ridiculous. Its hardly going to deter people from doing this kind of thing.
    duck wrote:
    Hayden is smug enough to believe that he can beat Orla but clearly is rattled by Duffy and, stupidly, sees him as his main & only competition.

Well by the sounds of things it appears to be Mr. Duffy who is "rattled" if he feels the need to remove Mr. Hayden's posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Sounds fishy, if theres a vid why not just name the person since you have proof, plus why did whoever filmed it have a camera just at that time...?

Thread re-opened.

Thanks to singingstranger for the PM.

I believe Firespinner has some info he'd like to share.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This sort of stuff from the Duffy camp just doesn't surprise me. Mind you, neither does the fact that the other sides were spying! It seems like this year's elections are set to be just as farcical as they are every year - again, no surprise.

This sort of stuff from the Duffy camp just doesn't surprise me. Mind you, neither does the fact that the other sides were spying!
    Er, it wasn't anyone on a team spying, it was standard Services CCTV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Wasnt suprised at all when I heared that this had happened last night.
    As I've said before this is last-chance salloon for the hard left of UCD after enda they dont have anyone else to run for election.Enda's team were quaking in their little booties the night of the poster race cos Dan's got nearly all the young class rep support,all the earlsortt terrace support and architecture.Enda only has all the old hacks the likes of paul D and he's even asking old labouryouth who have graduated to come back and canvass for him.The fact is,of course he will stoop to these dirty politics.Sure every private email I have sent one of his friends has become public knowledge to try and blacken my name.Look at vainglory writing up my private email here.I wrote a private email to Darren Cogavin the other day cos was tired of him insulting me on the UCD newswire,so I was trying to do the decent thing by confronting him privatly.He did the 'manly' thing obviously and went running off to his friends making my PRIVATE email to him public knowledge.Its this sort of dirty 'under the table' politics I hate so much.

I feel really sorry for orla and Dan,it's not fair on them as they worked hard to put those posters up.

The left cant see the wood in their eyes so dont bother, but do tell us the juicy story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I must say that I find it interesting, and frankly quite revealing, that 19 people have voted in this poll having made up their minds about Duffy and this alleged incident...

...despite having seen not a jot, not one single fcuking iota of evidence of any wrongdoing or shenanigans whatsoever.

/me applauds.

Fcukwits.

SebtheBum wrote:
    ...despite having seen not a jot, not one single fcuking iota of evidence of any wrongdoing or shenanigans whatsoever.

/me applauds.
    /me refers Seb to the fact that I, and other people who I think may have voted, have seen the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I recieved texts about it and I dont think singingstranger,orla or Dan would make this up if it wasnt true,seb.The fact the Enda has already been fined proves that Dan and Orla had substantial evedince against the member of Duffys team.

Also a previous poster claims that Duffy wouldnt enter into these sort of dirty politics because he didnt do it last year when he lost against Dave.The fact is with this years election the stakes are much higher for Duffy.He lost last year,already embarrasing in itself and now he's going for the big position,president. The left know they have to win it this year or they are dead in UCD,as dead and doomed as the dodo!

• Advertisement

/me refers Seb to the fact that I, and other people who I think may have voted, have seen the evidence.
    Ok, I accept that, and apologise - My post wasn't directed at urself or others.
    I meant those (and lets face it, it's bound to be most of those who voted) who made up their mind without seeing such evidence.

I also refer to the 5 who voted in favour of Duffy btw. Ppl just shouldn't vote without all the facts in, thats all I'm saying.

No worries. And call me Gav. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

panda100 wrote:
    I wrote a private email to Darren Cogavin the other day cos was tired of him insulting me on the UCD newswire,so I was trying to do the decent thing by confronting him privatly.He did the 'manly' thing obviously and went running off to his friends making my PRIVATE email to him public knowledge.Its this sort of dirty 'under the table' politics I hate so much.

I only showed one person that e-mail actually. When sending e-mails to me Elisa, please refrain from launching diatribes at other people. This sort of behaviour is illustrative of your general approach – not rational, worked-out criticism but dishonest, frenzied accusations. Its getting tiresomely repetitive.

I only showed one person that e-mail actually. When sending e-mails to me Elisa, please refrain from launching diatribes at other people. This sort of behaviour is illustrative of your general approach – not rational, worked-out criticism but dishonest, frenzied accusations. Its getting tiresomely repetitive.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

On the downside the duffy team get tarred with the one brush as a result of one person's f*ck up. Id expect Enda will lose alot of votes as a result of this

Grimes wrote:
    On the downside the duffy team get tarred with the one brush as a result of one person's f*ck up. Id expect Enda will lose alot of votes as a result of this
    Indeed. Shame really. He's a good guy, got experience of the Union, knows what the job entails and the way to run it. He's experienced 2 diametrically opposing examples of this; Dillon 03/04 and Carroll 05/06. Dillon brilliant, Carroll invisible. Duffy's learned from these 2 and would probably be better than both tbh...

But never let insignificant things like "facts" get in the way of a good mudslinging...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Id like to share with everyone my own personal views on the situation.

My name is Chris Bond im a class representative for first arts Politics, Archaelogy and English. This year i have been heavily involved in the Vote Duffy campaign and last year i managed Endas Deputy Presidential Election campaign. First of all id like to emphaise that in both campaigns, no dirty nor sly tactics, took place, none were advocatted none were planned, none were even suggested. Both years the basis of our campaigning were purely electoral. I was shocked and appauled by the news that a member of our campaign team was proven beyound disrepute to have sabotaged the material of another candidate. I was disgusted, id like to distance myself and the entire campaign team from what happened. it flys directly in the face of the values which i hold deeply, and the values upon which i chose to become a student activist. I am 100% certain that the action by this individual was entirely autonomous, it was neither sanctioned, planned nor advocatted by the vote duffy campaign team. I deeply regret the destruction of material visited on other candidates as result. I just hope that when boards.ie readers go to the ballots next week that they see this action for what it was an autonomous act by an individual acting against the wishes of and against the knowledge of the Vote Duffy Campaign
    what was the extent of said individuals involvement in the campaign / personal association with duffey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

like the fact that members of his team took down posters of the other people running in the election in order to increase enda's exclusive coverage around campus . Im sure the other two candidates are well up for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I only showed one person that e-mail actually.

Well aren't you a gent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

Sangre wrote:
    Well aren't you a gent.

Elisa has issues with me. I personally couldn't give a crap. But when she has a go at someone else behind their back in an e-mail addressed to me, then I feel that person has a right to know. Particularly when Elisa hasn't the guile or the integrity to diss them to their face. To use a favourite word of the labour lefts- it's disingenous. And didn't your Mama ever tell you that bitching is an ugly trait?

Advertisement