Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feelin guilty....

Options
  • 25-02-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Anyone else get the same depressing/panicky feeling when they daydream/procrastinate/watch 5 hours of telly when theres a load of study to be done?! Im doing a good bit but its always a bit worrying when you hear of people studying for a million hours a week etc!! Anyone else share my view that other peoples study plans do nothing but freak you out?! I think im gonna wear earplugs for the remaining months of lunchbreaks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 amistyfog

Yeah im the same i do feel awful guilty when i hear about other prople doin alot of study and then if i waste a day i feel disgusted with myseelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i dont feel guilty at all. its not worth studying 5hrs a day to get 600 points. i point and laugh at the people that do.

plus people are stupid for saying they spend loads of time studying, it decreases their chances of getting higher points.
    if people were clever, like me, they would say they don't do a tap and expect to fail everything.

welcome to the world of physcology or common sense as i call it. you say your studying like f**k, other people will start to do the same as they think it's normal. you say you dont do a tap, other people will study less as the bar is that bit lower.

bare that in mind. it's other peoples papers that will determine what grade you get so try to mess with their heads as much as possible to give you a better chance. thats the way my evil brain thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 proletarian

Hahahaha! That's fairly deliciously evil there, dunno how charitable the thought is...

Well, I am the worst LC role model ever, I just can't cope with this studying stuff at all. I only study when I need to - ie- exam situations, like Christmas, monthy assessment, whatever. I know I should do continuous study, but RTE2 has such a good evening line-up, and my fingernails, wallpaper, bedspread and, well, just about everything is more interesting than the whole learning experience.

It does make me feel bad. Truly. In my defence, I am a victim of glandular fever, which my mother thinks is brought on by LC-related stress. But, as I have related above, I have been doing less than nothing. Curse my endemic laziness!

And I would study today for my Chemistry mock on Tuesday, but I'm kinda hungover, and this Ireland's Own has a really interesting article on woolly hats, so...what's to be done? I'm relying on my own sheer pluckiness, the nerve.

Anyway, the 5 hour studying trend is just going to burn people out and stress you out unduly and have you permanently wound up for an exam that is admittedly important but ont to the degree that you should cause your own hair to fall out in clumps. So if you feel bad, just think of me in my own perma-lazy state. And then let the tight knot in your stomach ease because trust me, someone lazier than you exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

smemon wrote:
    i dont feel guilty at all. its not worth studying 5hrs a day to get 600 points. i point and laugh at the people that do.

plus people are stupid for saying they spend loads of time studying, it decreases their chances of getting higher points.
    if people were clever, like me, they would say they don't do a tap and expect to fail everything.

welcome to the world of physcology or common sense as i call it. you say your studying like f**k, other people will start to do the same as they think it's normal. you say you dont do a tap, other people will study less as the bar is that bit lower.

bare that in mind. it's other peoples papers that will determine what grade you get so try to mess with their heads as much as possible to give you a better chance. thats the way my evil brain thinks.

Bloody hell Smemon, your outbursts are getting crazier by the day! Come on you're smarter than that to think that if you say you don't study others won't and therefore the standard goes down... I don't think so. People will always study because they need to get points etc...

When you say you don't do a tap, how do you seriously will do in June - no bulls**t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 amistyfog

Smemon, you are full of s***e. The greatest ass ive ever encountered, god help ya, your a niave dumbass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

*sighs*
    your anger just motivates him is his own conceitedness...

i've given up even bothering to respond to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I kinda of agree with him! hahaha! Well to a lesser extent! I just don't like rubbing it into peoples faces how much I have done! People who do that are knobs! Ok so back to this thread question! Yes I agree with you barbie! I keep doing that just procrasinating and then going ahh shizah! I don't really care what others do - I just care about myself really! In all fairness it is a cut throat world out there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Trust me, it's normal! I did **** all study for most of 6th year, just enough to get me what I wanted. Those people who say they're studying all the time may get higher points, but at what cost? I got 430 points and I'm now studying in the university of Edinburgh- one of the top universities in the world- all by doing the minimum of studying. My mum used kill me on mondays because I'd only study from 6- 8 because then I had to have a shower, watch the OC and Lost and go to sleep. Meanwhile, other people in my year got 700 points and are doing a degree they don't really like in a university they don't really like, still living at home with their parents.

But yeah, it's normal to feel guilty. Just try not to listen to what other people are saying. Their results don't have anything to do with you.

Hell, I've got to write a 1500 word essay for tomorrow and I'm in bed, writing this.

Muiriosa wrote:
    When you say you don't do a tap, how do you seriously will do in June - no bulls**t?

485 points. thats my goal. i'll get 400 minimum. 500 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

smemon- I know your a genius etc blah but re your first post in this thread-brush up on your spelling.

But fair play to your arrogance, which is endearing in its own infantile way.

The whole study thing is just so boring! It also seems the more you do the more you realise you need to do! Only a few months left though (plenty more hours to procrastinate or throw away on Americas next top model!) If I can just stick to my good intentions Ill be fine! Repeating puts an extra amount of stress on coz you cant f**k up......................again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

smemon wrote:
    485 points. thats my goal. i'll get 400 minimum. 500 max.

welcome to the real world dude...get the **** up and start doing study if you want that.....
    u probably the type thats like "ahhhh i do no study...im too hard etc etc etc" and lol cant get away from the books when you at home...cmon admit it...you are arent ya?????dont lie.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

he does study just not five hours! he just tells people he doesnt do a tap because he thinks that will help him. I think so anyway....why am I defending him? oh wel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i do about 2/3 hours a night on average max including homework and take weekends off -with tv breaks, dinner breaks rtes comedy nights and ballet classes during the week!doesnt sound that much, and half the time i feel like im just procrastinating but dont bother feeling guilty, we all need out breaks and relaxed study or we'll explode!
    once youre feeling youre doing the best you can and what works for you, ignore everyone elses plans-half of its probably untrue anyway!

oh yeah, part time job, long term gf, boards.... i've loads of free time to waste studying.

this weekend for example ive had literally no time at all apart from the last hour there tonight to do hw. the rest was spent working, on internet, with gf and watching utd lift the league cup.

im naturally gifted in terms of exams so thats why i'll ace them wihout doing a tap. i concentrate in class, and have done for 6 years which is what will save me. i'll put money on it i'll get over 400 points. i'll post my pre results and i'd imagine they'd be round 350.

Advertisement