Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Converting camcorder footage to dvd via PC??

• 25-02-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Anybody know how to do this? What software is recommended?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Windows XP comes with a basic editting package called Windows Movie Maker.
    As for streaming the video to the PC you'll need to obtain a firewire card if you don't have one already, USB doesnt offer the bandwidth you'll need to capture at higher resolutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

How much bandwidth is needed ?
    Firewire is 400mbps , firewire 2 is 800mbps
    USB 2 is 480mbps ,

Any of those should do , the only one that wouldn't is USB 1 at 12 mbps , so USB should not be an issue as most pcs these days will have at least one USB 2 slot !!

As regards to movie editing software I got a copy of WinDVD creator with my capture box from Komplett ,
    It works well for me but it is very much a beginners package and there is bound to be more sophisticated software out there ,

To get started though , I would recommend it , its easy to pick up and does a nice job.
    Here's a link ,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304757

Note that this is a hardware and software package and you probably are only looking for software , but it should be available online for a reasonable price.

Firewire has a higher substained throughput compared to USB2.0 which is the importent factor when dealing with video and audio acquisition.

Additionally firewire(800) now can support up 786 mbs, although not all cards will support this. But even a slower card will give better berformance to usb2

However USB2 is perfectly adequate for high resolution video , firewire would be nice but not essential as you implied earlier , if you have USB2 firewire is an unnecessary expense , especially as its a dying standard !!

No home video project would require more than 480 mbps , or even half that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

are you taking video from an analog camera or DV?

In either case, I wouldn't reccomend windows movie maker if you plan slapping it on DVD

I'd agree that Movie Maker is less than ideal, but as a basic functional product it gets the job done. Should you wish more than simply getting the video from the camera, well SouperComputer is right you'll need something better for dvd.

As for taking USB2 over firewire I personally think its a nonsense to suggest usb2 if you are looking for any sort of quality ie you intend to make a dvd.

But each to their own.

What sort of cam is it you're using ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kirving

If the camcorder is analogue, you would need a tv card, that comes with video capture/converting software. There is one called, PCTV Rave, which is made by Pinnacle and cost about 30 euro in PC World. It worked with my analogue camcorder, but you will need to get the right cables for capturing sound aswell, I also had to get a tiny adapter to get the camcorders audio connected to the sound card correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Cheers for all the responses. Not 100% sure what camcorder it is (it's my girlfriend's) but I know the output is DV. I bought a 4 to 6 pin connector and a firecard so hopefully this will do the job. I just need to get the best software to run it!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Vyse wrote:
    Cheers for all the responses. Not 100% sure what camcorder it is (it's my girlfriend's) but I know the output is DV. I bought a 4 to 6 pin connector and a firecard so hopefully this will do the job. I just need to get the best software to run it!!!!!

Try avid free:

http://www.avid.com/freedv/

TBH there is no "best" software, just what works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

I found the problem is not the speed of USB V Firewire, its the fact that a lot (most I think) camcorders don't support a USB connection.

Not to sure about the higher spec, profesional cameras though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Vyse wrote:

A very simple one to use (and very good quality) is Cyberlink Power Director.

Costs about €100 here - but you can get it for $9.99 (yes nine dollars ninety nine!) legitimately here:

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4409

Will arrive in about five days.:)

Advertisement