Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skelton V Williams (it's tonight)

Options
  • 25-02-2006 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭

Well Danny WIlliams V Matt Skelton is on tonight on ITV1 (21:50-23:20) and the undercard is on ITV4 (23:20-00:50) .

Williams weighed in at 266lbs(19 stone) , which is far too heavy for him in my opinion (yes he was heavier in his last two fights) . I believe a Williams at 260lbs or below would have made this a 50/50 fight but at that weight he's still got to have a lack of mobility and I believe Skelton will stop him in the mid rounds .

That said Danny did hurt his ankle in his fight with Harrison and that was one of the main reasons why he was so immobile , this combined with Skelton coming in at a career high gives him a chance .

If Skelton is his usual self though despite the weight I expect my prediction to come true .

Also Kahn is fighting Jackson Williams , I predict a 3rd round TKO .
    Takaloo (now a Welterweight) , Kevin Mitchell , Souleymane M'baye and Lee Beavis + some other prospects are all fighting on the card tonight aswell .

Should be a good night of boxing , even if only one of thefights looks competitive .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know much about points in boxing but I thought Skelton was by far the better of the 2 tonight. I don't know how one of the judges had 3 points in favour of Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't know much about points in boxing but I thought Skelton was by far the better of the 2 tonight. I don't know how one of the judges had 3 points in favour of Williams.

I didn't even bother trying to score the fight because I was extremely tired and just couldn't be arsed . But Skelton probably got the better of it , however he should have had at least two points taken off for his reckless use off his head and his holding while hitting tactics (which he always employs , and it worked great against Michael Sprott) which evens things out .

The judge who scored it by 3 rounds (Dave Parris) must have scored the last round 10-8 aswell as favouring Williams better quality(in technique and power).

Skelton will almost certainly get a rematch if he wants one though , I don't believe Frank Warren will be able to make a fight with Nicolay Valuev . Williams isn't rated in the WBA's current top 15 and if the Skelton win doesn't put him in it then a fight definetly won't happen . The reason he wants Valuev is simply because he's the weakest but it would be a lot easier to make a fight with Lamon Brewster (WBO champ) . Skelton was rated 11th with the WBO and Williams 12th , which means Danny will move up a bit in their ratings aswell as the fact that Brewster is (fully)promoted by Don King makes that fight a much easier one to make .

Brewster would have to beat Serguei Lyakhovich first , which shouldn't be too much bother .

British boxing has redeemed itself after the Williams V Harrison affair but Williams , Skelton , Sprott , Harrison and Gammer (Welsh prospect who is mandatory for the British title) aren't good enough for world level , maybe even European level and with the heavyweight division being so poor at the moment that says a lot about those fighters .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Another reason for Dave Parris' score might be that he had already reffed two fights and judged two fights before judging the Williams V Skelton fight , he must have been very tired mentally .

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I thought it was a very good fight and had Skelton winning, but it really was so close, you couldn't argue. If ever a draw was deserved, it was here.

As for Khan, superstar. I know he's only starting out, but boy does he put on a show. Well worth it and I hope he continues....

A step up in class soon for him I hope so he can really show us his full arsenal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Skelton really should have been deducted points but he did put up a very good fight and i had him slightly ahead.

AS for Khan the boy looks good and now just waiting for him to step up in class now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Big Ears wrote:
    The reason he wants Valuev is simply because he's the weakest but it would be a lot easier to make a fight with Lamon Brewster (WBO champ) .
    Way more likely to face Valuev IMO. His next fight will be in germany and there won't be too many Americans willing to go there. Valuv's crowd will see the brit as a cheap option and they'll fancy their chance of beating him too

Advertisement