Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12ga slugs.

Options
  • 25-02-2006 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

Does anyone kno what the story is with getting shotgun slugs? A fella told me he thinks I might need to get a permission slip from the gardai but he wasnt sure. I have a Remmington 870 and I just want them for targets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

monksavage wrote:
    I have a Remmington 870 and I just want them for targets.

Yeah right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

monksavage wrote:
    Does anyone kno what the story is with getting shotgun slugs? A fella told me he thinks I might need to get a permission slip from the gardai but he wasnt sure. I have a Remmington 870 and I just want them for targets.

Buy as normal shotgun ammo.No restrictions on them,just usually hard to find somtimes

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Yes!
    and they will also tear the be*jes*s out of your barrell:eek:

TomBeckett wrote:
    Yes!
    and they will also tear the be*jes*s out of your barrell:eek:

Yes..what???
    and NO they will not tear the barrel up unless you are firing them out of a BP only proved damascus barrel.If the gun is in proof and you are using appropriate ammo,there is nothing to worry about.They will recoil more,but they can even be fired out of full choke just to put that myth to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

far as i know you dont need permission from the gardai, any good gundealer should sell them. i used to buy mine from duffys in galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Just curious - what did you use them on sniper83?

Do the yanks use slugs on turkeys? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

I still think that they are not the best thing in the world to be firing. I have fired them out of my Win superx3 and when you look down the barrell i could see all these straeks from about middle way down and running to the end. amd it took some elbow grease with the steel screw to get them out!! so i came to the conclusion that your not doing the barrell any favours by firing them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Lurcher-
    Us yanks use them on deer. If you shot a turkey with a slug there'd be nothing left but beak and a*shole. Mind you, where I'm from that's enough for a stew!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

:d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Are these the type of things you want?

slugs.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Riggser wrote:
    Are these the type of things you want?

slugs.gif

man they look primatively dangerous :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

Sound for the feedback there lads. Cant wait to get me hands on a box and start busting slabs from 50+ yards.

TomBeckett wrote:
    I still think that they are not the best thing in the world to be firing. I have fired them out of my Win superx3 and when you look down the barrell i could see all these straeks from about middle way down and running to the end. amd it took some elbow grease with the steel screw to get them out!! so i came to the conclusion that your not doing the barrell any favours by firing them..

Thats lead striation caused by the flues on the side of the slug.I'll bet you were using Brennecke.[Bottom two in the left of Riggsers pic]
    Looks ugly,but it is simply lead deposit[or whatever mix of lead and whatever they use these days].It isnt damaging the barrel,all the flues do are compress as they go down the barrel,to work as a gas check of sorts,not to give the slug a twist like a rifle bullet.Common misconception.

Advertisement