Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumped wall insulation, Good or Bad idea??

Options
  • 25-02-2006 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi folks,

Im thinking of getting the walls of my bungalow pumped with this stuff. I've been told that there may be an issue with dampness, is this true? I do live in a rainy part of the country, so I dont want to find out too late that I've done the wrong thing.

Anyone got any advice?
    How much would it cost for a 3 bed bungalow, 40 foot x 22 foot. around 900 sq foot?

Dairbhre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Erm, not sure I'm directly answering your question, but my parents got that stuff done about 2 years ago in their bungalow and tbh, I dont think they noticed much of a difference heat wise.
    The house was, and still is freezing.
    Either that, or the winters are getting colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

We got it done last year. Noticed the difference that very night.
    House heats up faster now and stays warm for longer after the heat is turned off.
    Cost €700 and it was money well spent. And no problems with damp at all.

company called warmfill did it for us. Took them a couple of hours to do it.
    You have to have cavity walls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pumped Polystyrene beads or pumped Cellulose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

or glass wool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm in an end of terrace house and it cost me 2K for Polystyrene beads last winter, It made some difference, but i think i'd have to move house for it to be warm enough for my wife. It made a small difference, and it took 2 hours the thing is you cant see if its done or not, ie good job or bad job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi,

My mum got it done last year and it made a huge difference to her 30 year old bungalow - it is really cosy and warm now and it cost 800e

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

We got it done a few weeks ago and it has certainly made a huge difference we paid 1200.00 for a 4 bed split level. Stoner: 2k sounds very expensive

we got the beads and it took approx 3 hours and we got the same company back to pump the wool stuff into one bedroom attic as it was a small space to get into and we did the rest of the attic ourselves, then get good heavy curtains with thermal lining and you should be nice and cosy, if you need the company name let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I went to do this in Dublin and I remeber noticing that when we rang around we kept being put in touch with the same office. They seemed to be all the same company. It could be just how they franchise but it made me uncomfortable. I remember the price being a bit higher than I expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Sorry, meant to say it was the beads that we got.
    €2k is an outrageous price for this.
    You can see the beads coming in tha air vents etc. The guy put a camera in the wall and shows you what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

JimmySmith wrote:
    Sorry, meant to say it was the beads that we got.
    €2k is an outrageous price for this.
    You can see the beads coming in tha air vents etc. The guy put a camera in the wall and shows you what he's doing.

Hello,

Don't know if this is the same solution - I have a 100 yr old + house on the canal (well, next, it's not a canal boat or anything). The internal walls, I recently painted them and the damp bit is a dark magnolia! It rises three feet. They are not cavity walls, but are brick I guess.

Anyone know a solution for this?

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the guys in the damp store sorted out a similar problem for someone i know, they lived in an area in dublin prone to flooding, and the flood marks were 4 foot up, and they prepared and tanked the wall etc. they along with others are experts in this type of thing, If i was you i'd get them out sounds like you could o with some expert advice and get the right job done once

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We got it done (yellow fluffy stuff?) and while the house is warmer, we had a number of other insulation type things done at the same time, and last winter wasn't desperately cold. I'd love to get a - what do you call it - thermal image photo taken to see how effective it was. You can see bits of filling at the top of the walls in the attic so it must be done reasonably well. Can't remember what it cost, around the 800 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We got it done (yellow fluffy stuff?) and while the house is warmer, we had a number of other insulation type things done at the same time, and last winter wasn't desperately cold. I'd love to get a - what do you call it - thermal image photo taken to see how effective it was. You can see bits of filling at the top of the walls in the attic so it must be done reasonably well. Can't remember what it cost, around the 800 I think.

Hic!

Advertisement