Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else still having speed issues since the upgrade

• 25-02-2006 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Im with Digiweb and Im still experiencing speed issues.

My speed was always stable and constant at 850ish, now however its hanging around 250ish.

Ive told them about it and theyre getting on to Eircom about it.

What's going on?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm on UTV 3mb. It has been intermittently going very slow recently. For example, this page took 35 seconds to load (timed using the fasterfox exention). Can anyone tell me how to properly test this and troubleshoot it?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

I am in the same boat, for the first few days after the upgrade on the 20 January my new speed 2mb/256kb was great and then it started to go all over the place.

I was on to BT customer support about it and they had the line test done and after about 3 weeks and a lot more phone calls they sent me a new router.
    The router has made a different to the top speed I can download but it is still very unstable, if I use www.eircom.net/speedtest I can get anything from 14.00 to 200.00 in the space of 15 min.
    I was back on to BT and they have washed there hands of it, as the customer care woman said the last step they will do is send out a new router.

I play a lot of games on Xbox live and the unstable speed is so frustrating .But where can I go from here?

I know others here in Maynooth who have Eircom broad band and they don’t have any problems so would it be unfair to think there is something underhanded going on here!!!

At this stage I am just sick and tired of the sub standard of care I am getting from BT and the attitude some of the customer services personal take with me when I am nothing but courteous to them. They try to tell me that the service I am getting is working properly and I know it is not. I would love to leave them but as of now the only other Broad Band provider in my area is Eircom and that would be like going from the frying pan to the fire.

Mark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im in same boat too, with eircom and a very unstable connection and pings that just make online gaming impossible. Its been like this since the day of the upgrade and havent had one decent day of internet since. When I go onto Xbox Live or counterstrike on the Pc I just warp/lag all over the place and my pings shoot up to 1000ms, downloading stuff ranges from 2kb/sec to 320kb/sec from the same location depending on how bad my connection goes. (its usually alright after midnight till next morning but during the daytime/evening its terrible. Ive phoned eircom broadband support so many times and now my written letters are going unanswered, they just dont want to know anymore. Even right now boards keeps timing out on me when trying to send any message and I have to copy this message into word so that I can keep a copy of it untill the message finally sends.

Well I rang customer support again and got a different person he said he would run a line test, which he did and it failed.
    They did a test a few weeks ago and it failed too, so they got onto eircom and had it fixed and ran the test again and it passed, so why is it now failing again? What the F**K or eircom up to?

This is so head wrecking. The BT guy said they will get the line fixed again and if my speeds don’t get any better they will have to put my speed back to 128kb/1mb. But why did it work great for the first few days?

I can see myself going for line of sight broad band.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

I'm not as bad as you guys. However, speeds are up and down here like crazy since the upgrades. Like you said the first few days were great and after about a week the settled back down to previous levels. It's like as though there was no upgrade. During the week is sh*te, Saturday & Sunday speeds are definetly up to about 3 times the weekly average.

Maybe after the upgrade Eircom suddenly realised we were happy and said, "oops, can't have that - turn down the tap Bert just to annoy them again."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eircom told me to change my dns settings to their old ones... course it didnt work:(
    same crap pings, same crap download speeds

Gonzo wrote:
    eircom told me to change my dns settings to their old ones... course it didnt work:(
    same crap pings, same crap download speeds

Strange Sh*t going on Lads -
    Earlier I did the speed test on Numion - http://www.numion.com
    and got pretty rubbish download speed, howver surfspeed was OK.

Then I tried that trick with changing the DNS and then I reset the Modem.

I tried the speed test on Numion and the speed was so fast the modem nearly lifted off.

I got 2,391.43, where as before I got 426.23.

Irishspeedtest - 2.42, earlier was 749

Edit: - one further test I did to check whether it was the time of day that affected the speed.

I had been downloading stuff from the BBC website at about 560kps which is crap, that was just before doing the tricks above. Straight away I when back and this time downloaded at 2545kps.

Once again strange, btw I wonder did the reset do something - new ip perhaps may had something to do with it, it was in a different range from before.

just after trying that now, reseted the modem properly and its made no difference:(

Hey Gonzo, How about taking your complaint to COMReg seen as Eircom are F**king about. They and Regtel sorted out an issue for me some years ago when Eircom were of no help.

Looking at your earlier posts with so much sh*t you have going wrong there must be a prob with a line up your way. Have any of your neighbours got BB you can check with?

most of my neighbours have fine broadband but another neighbour has the same as me, eircom are due to work on my exchange tonight so hopefully that might solve the problem.

• Advertisement

Well I am still waiting for word back about my line, the guy in customer series said they would ring me to tell me when it's fixed.
    I don't hold out much hope of this solving my problems as eircom and BT seem to be playing tennis, and I am the ball.

Mark

Here's one thing I found the other night while messing about. I changed my setup here on monday. To keep it short - I changed from using my own proxy server to plugging straight into the router.

Initially, i found great difficulty in connection to the web until I specified the DNS servers in the TCP/IP properties page. Something I didn't have to do before when using my own proxy setup which was Lansuite602.

It appeared that the machine was not picking up the DNS setup on the router. Once I set them in the properties on each client machine everything was ok.

However, the speed of downloading is still well below what it should be, tonight on a 3meg line it is averaging at 700 down and 303 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

Markjf wrote:
    I am in the same boat, for the first few days after the upgrade on the 20 January my new speed 2mb/256kb was great and then it started to go all over the place.

I was on to BT customer support about it and they had the line test done and after about 3 weeks and a lot more phone calls they sent me a new router.
    The router has made a different to the top speed I can download but it is still very unstable, if I use www.eircom.net/speedtest I can get anything from 14.00 to 200.00 in the space of 15 min.
    I was back on to BT and they have washed there hands of it, as the customer care woman said the last step they will do is send out a new router.

I play a lot of games on Xbox live and the unstable speed is so frustrating .But where can I go from here?

I know others here in Maynooth who have Eircom broad band and they don’t have any problems so would it be unfair to think there is something underhanded going on here!!!

At this stage I am just sick and tired of the sub standard of care I am getting from BT and the attitude some of the customer services personal take with me when I am nothing but courteous to them. They try to tell me that the service I am getting is working properly and I know it is not. I would love to leave them but as of now the only other Broad Band provider in my area is Eircom and that would be like going from the frying pan to the fire.

Mark.
    I have been receiving poor speeds from BT BB and they said they would get Eircom to check the lines.
    i removed the filter from the phone socket and inserted the router directly----no filter. Result -problem resolved
    real issue was a dodgy filter all along on my new BB connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

I too am getting poor results on the Zyxel wireless modem from BT.....I have a 3 meg line, I haven't tested it on the wired method yet. Right now my speed is listed as 34.0Mbps with a DL speed of anywhere between 176Kbps and 566Kbps.

finally afterall the rows on the phone and long bitter emails, eircom finally came out to my exchange last night and tryed to fix the problem with my line, I knew it was something wrong at exchange level, as my connection was perfect for 2 years and then awfull since the last upgrade, i had pings up to 1000ms most of the time and download speeds often not going past 200kpbs even tho my modem synced at hte full 3072 all the time... so far since i woke up this morning my connection has been fully rock solid for the first time since the new speeds, getting the full 2.7mbs from Irishisptest and giganews. pings also excellent!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>ping www.eircom.net

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 9ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 13ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>ping www.jolt.co.uk

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

If it stays like this from now on i'll be one very happy guy indeed! lets hope I can put the last 6 weeks of awfull service behind me for good!

That's great news Gonzo, I am glad to see someone is getting sorted out.

My broadband was down for two hours this morning and about 20 minutes after it came back I got a call form BT customer series, they said that the fault on my line has been fixed by eircom.. My speeds seem to be a little more stable but are not rock solid so I will wait and see if it improves over time.

The guy that rang me said he would run another test on the line on Monday to see if it is really fixed as eircom flag the line as fixed and they can't run a test on it till then.

Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Markjf wrote:

I can see myself going for line of sight broad band.

Mark

Thats a classic.....

But be careful...Line of Sight is being introduced in my area under the auspices of the GBS [Regional] and is taking bleeding ages to get going. The ISP's themselves are moving as fast as is possible, but red tape and bureaucracy is holding the whole thing up. It was due to go live "early this year"....well "early this year" was only 8 weeks ago.

Advertisement