Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unseen footage of the riots.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

SebtheBum wrote:
    Um.... What?

If some fcukers riot, and we react react by beating the cr*p out of them, that's not being politically incorrect or politically correct.

Frankly, saying sh*t like that makes me think that you're one of these (unfortunately many) people who just throws around the term "politically correct" whenever you find anything that disagrees with you.

Mental.

Im not getting sidetracked on a PC argument here.. but what exactly do you disagree with so? That the Gardaí shouldnt have been heavy handed? Ive no intention of being dragged into a wordgame here with you so I'm not going to respond to your other stuff.. and for the record.. Ive no problem with anyone disagreeing with me.. including you.. but I do believe, having spoken to a Garda (not Dublin based) that they didnt get heavy handed with them yesterday due to their superiors' fear of a public backlash from "some" very vocal minorities.

I believe the majority of people in Ireland would not have shed a tear if the batons were used on the right people yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i would. in this day and age its a shameful waste of petrol

it would'nt be a waste though , I'd consider it a better use than useign it to fuel a car. I'd even be willing to pay for the petrol. In fact I'd have paid for it if the gards chained the lot of them in a row and walked them past a ptrol stationwhile soaking them. I would then have paid more money to be allowed to set them all alight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

- why were the weapons (bricks, poles, etc) left in O'Connell Street?

Complete idiocy on the government's behalf.
    - why were there so few riot cops?

McDowell said that the Gardaí wanted to keep their presence as minimal as possible relative to the threat of rioting, because it'll make the situation alot more tense if the whole place was full of riot police. Foolish.
    - why were the "protestors" allowed take control of much of the city centre for up to three hours?

That's because of poor action by the Gardaí... The main group broke up into little factions and spread around the city, so the Garda resources were too lightly spread.
    - why were they not contained in O'Connell Street?

Good question, they should have been contained on the North quays.
    - why were the army not sent in?

Why the army and not just more riot police? They consciously decided to have that number, they weren't short, so what difference would the army make? :confused: Just wonderin why lots of people are suggesting this, I don't think they'd start firing live ammunition in the city streets or anythin :p
    - why was the march allowed happen at all?

The million dollar question :rolleyes: Maybe it was a case of the government being too optimistic, and hoping that if they march went ahead with no trouble, then things would improve GREATLY with the north. It was never gonna happen though, and it should never have gone ahead. Silly.

Cosine wrote:
    Aprently the parade was to start from the Garden of Remembrance which is just plain horrible.

Starts at the Garden of Remembrance, walks by the GPO, to Dáil Éireann... hmmm... SLIGHTLY provocative.

DaveMcG wrote:

Why the army and not just more riot police? They consciously decided to have that number, they weren't short, so what difference would the army make? :confused: Just wonderin why lots of people are suggesting this, I don't think they'd start firing live ammunition in the city streets or anythin :p

The army are fully trained in the use of riot equipment and riot procedures. I think they'd have bolstered the numbers well enough to contain the main group which would have stopped a lot of the hassle that was caused by them running in small groups causing mayhem as they went.

I also sense the army would have been slight less... patient :D They wouldnt have been out there with live ammunition, just batons and shields etc.. but it would have added the numbers to make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madboggar

People have to see what dublin has turned into, a lot of scum walking around getting away with murder on the streets of the capital city. And straight away what will happen next week.

Oh it was sinn fein that started it,
    Oh the gaurds should have done more
    Oh Why did the parade not be stopped

The real discussion is what is dublin / Ireland going to do with the scum that is infesting are towns and cities. Not parents looking out for them. They wander the streets pick pocketing, robbing cars, breaking in to shops houses etc.

And yes get away with it..

It is time Ireland / people of Ireland together said no more it is not the british that are holding us back it is these little scumbags who when brought to court will use the old line

IT WAS THE WAY I WAS BROUGHT UP YOUR LORD... ME MA DIDN'T LOVE ME .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Are some of the reactions to this not a bit over the top? You'd swear it was the apocalypse by the way some people have described it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

madboggar wrote:

That's what it all boils down to at the end of the day.

Sing it with me...

What the world needs now... is love, sweet love...

madboggar wrote:
    People have to see what dublin has turned into, a lot of scum walking around getting away with murder on the streets of the capital city. And straight away what will happen next week.

Oh it was sinn fein that started it,
    Oh the gaurds should have done more
    Oh Why did the parade not be stopped

The real discussion is what is dublin / Ireland going to do with the scum that is infesting are towns and cities. Not parents looking out for them. They wander the streets pick pocketing, robbing cars, breaking in to shops houses etc.

And yes get away with it..

It is time Ireland / people of Ireland together said no more it is not the british that are holding us back it is these little scumbags who when brought to court will use the old line

Here Here!!... But what exactly do we do once we've said no more? Im not sure! I know Id like to have them sentenced to standing in O'Connoll Street next week with placards tied to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Lodgepole wrote:
    Unusable as evidence maybe but useful to the police none the less. Bring anything you can in to them. Look at what this thread alone has done, it's placed the same person at two crimes... The police need every scrap of photographic evidence. Seeing it here is great but it achieves very little. Send it to the police.

And well done for taking the photos. Journalism and particularly photo journalism has had a hard time in recent years but it's a noble and worthy profession. Stick with it.

The problem with digital images is it's difficult to prove they haven't been tampered with. With old film camera you could produce the original negative and if needs be the lab tech who developed it.

With digital photos you cannot prove you took it and didn't photoshop it in some manner. A halfway decent defense barrister could get it ruled inadmissable.

Now whats the odds any of these lads are going to have one of those? It'll be a legal defense team or nothing.

So bring it to the cops, they can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Freelancer wrote:
    Now whats the odds any of these lads are going to have one of those? It'll be a legal defense team or nothing.

So bring it to the cops, they can use it.

These thugs that were out rioting yesterday probably already have a string of convictions against them for other crimes.
    Probably very little will happen to them even if they get convicted of more.
    With cronic shortage in juvinile detention centres, they'll be able to roam free and reoffend.
    It's these kind of yobs that had a field day yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Sparky-s wrote:
    i wonder how the 3 non nationals got involved, i assume they arnt talking about our friends across the water but more futher east.

Ah sure lets join in

Saw a chance to do some looting IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cormie wrote:
    What the world needs now... is love, sweet love...

Or big sticks, big sticks work as well.

whiskeyman wrote:
    These thugs that were out rioting yesterday probably already have a string of convictions against them for other crimes.
    Probably very little will happen to them even if they get convicted of more.
    With cronic shortage in juvinile detention centres, they'll be able to roam free and reoffend.
    It's these kind of yobs that had a field day yesterday...

Could we not convice George Bush that they are arab terrorists? Failing that, build a big, cheap, guatanamo bay type detention camp. Loads of fence, barbed wire and tents, screw luxury. a few armed guards outside in case of escape attemps and to lob bags of rice and water over to them each day. Other than that, let them police themselves inside it.

At the end of the day theres no excuse, its not the governments fault, or teh gards, or the loyalists. It doesnt matter if teh gards had'nt shown up at all, the have no excuse for what they did yesterday. Pure scum is all they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

seeems to be a lot of judge dredd fans round here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

drdre wrote:
    thats really disgraceful, that should not have happened hope they get done from that video.

Wonder will they post on boards to see what technicalities they can get off on,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054889268

Sorry couldnt resist:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mike65 wrote:
    I bet someone here knows him!

Mike.
    When I was wathcing the news there was a bloke talking abt what happened when they were smashing cars- like a bystander, and i reckon thats him - he looked dodge to me when he was talking abt it too!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

draffodx wrote:
    what did anyone expect to happen?

all they needed was a excuse to wreak havoc and what better way to give it to them than by letting a loyalist parade through dublin?

give yobs something like that to unite against and your gonna get a mess anyone with any common sense would have seen this coming long ago.

Not our minister for justice aparently, "we had no way to have forseen this", or something very similar, on the news last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

With Sinn Fein's popularity growing in the Republic this will cost them votes. People who might have been fooled by the Sinn Fein PR machine will think twice when they see the photos in the papers tomorrow.

yes, unfortunately people don't seem to know the difference between Republican Sinn Fein and Provisional Sinn Fein, and jsut lump them all into the sinn fein package.

Provisional Sinn Fein (gerry adams and all them) told people to stay away from the march and let it pass off peacefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 prc666

its a bit late of a reply, but yes, it was petrol. they had them stored in lanes etc of the main streets. When i took the video clips you could just seem them running with them to the cars. The first one is an english reg, then the next one is a dublin reg!! insane..

wrote:

link not working :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

link not working :(
    I've re-hosted those photos here: http://www.eoghanmccabe.com/temp/.

They won't be up for long if the traffic gets too high.

NB: These photos are not mine and I have not gotten permission to re-host them.

• Advertisement

where can they be seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

DaveMcG wrote:

I asume most people believe that the army would be a bit more liberal with the heavy stick then the gaurds would be. That and if you se a bunch of army lads getting out that would give some of the less stupid scumbags a pause for thought.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Starts at the Garden of Remembrance, walks by the GPO, to Dáil Éireann... hmmm... SLIGHTLY provocative.

Oh sweet jesus! How in the hell was this even going to go down peacfully. I'm not very nationalist but I feel like thats spitting in the eye of every revolutionary and person who fought for Irelands freedom :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

where can they be seen?
    Sorry, forgot to post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

the whole schbang can be seen here also

http://images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?dir=./Dublin%20Riots

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Trotter wrote:
    Why? Because they had the Irish flag wrapped around them! And all the talking and discussion in the world wont change the fact that Im Irish and they're Irish. Maybe I wouldnt feel ashamed if the real Irish people.. the decent, hardworking, funloving kind.. had a justice system that imposed penalties on these people that would do more than cause them to giggle and give a finger to the nearest camera outside the court.

Thats why.

I wrote a lengthy response to this last night but my computer decided to randomly switch of and then refuse to reconnect to the internet. Basically, if you have a problem with the judicial system, that's fine. However, you said that you were ashamed to be Irish on the basis of yesterday's events. To use an analogy, if you drive a car and hear of yet another drink-driving related death, you're not going to be ashamed to be a driver. If you're ashamed to be Irish in general, that's your choice but if you're basing this feeling on two things as small as a faulty judicial system and cretinous filthbags running around causing havoc for a while in town, then I think you are mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Indymedia photo diary of the events. Good quality pics here:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74507

-Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cosine wrote:
    Oh sweet jesus! How in the hell was this even going to go down peacfully. I'm not very nationalist but I feel like thats spitting in the eye of every revolutionary and person who fought for Irelands freedom :mad:
    You're going off on a tangent there Cosine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Trotter wrote:
    I believe the majority of people in Ireland would not have shed a tear if the batons were used on the right people yesterday.
    Then, essentially you and I (and most ppl) are in agreement.

Basically, what I'm trying to get across if that blaming Police/Security Force's inaction, indecision, and incompetence on political correctness, is frankly nuts.

If a Garda Commissioner, or TD, or Army Commandant fails to act because he fears Public Opinion, then he shouldn't be in the fcuking job. Pure and Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

aloleary wrote:
    Indymedia photo diary of the events. Good quality pics here:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74507

-Alan

Excellent photos, maybe might get couple of convictions from these, just something i didnt think to say, if you look at the unionists, 2 men on crutchs, some elderly women carrying photos of prosumally killed loved ones and a band carrying extreamly big, heavy and expensive drums. Hardly a crowd that came lookin for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Summerjones

That's horrible! What's wrong with these people :(

Advertisement