Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lords of Kobol say yes-Ramp on its coming!!!

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Really basic question for you lot but whats the difference between polar lows, troughs, fronts etc etc? Please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

trough is a meet up of 2 slightly different airmasses.. a front is
    a meet up of 2 different airmasses and a polar low forms from instability
    in very cold upper air temps and usually represents itself as
    a mini-hurricane on satellite pics..

Although im not the best at the basics in weather terms so ask
    others they shud give you a better view;)

Cheers WC. What produces the most precip?

Earthman you like???:D :D

Your gonna have to find some clothes folks!

Gonna be down to -10c next week:D :D:D
    Oh the output tonight is outstanding.
    I'd caution on the evolution for later in the week as that may change.
    As for Tullow versus Maynooth for snow,I'd favour Tullow for its proximity to higher ground.
    It's not that I think these charts need higher ground, they dont but Tullow is in a good spot.

Polar lows by a long shot

usually reasonably small but very intense precipitation..:)

Usually they can dump 2 inches an hour:)

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Troughs on Thursday, latest fax:D http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/brack4.gif

Yup heavy snow showers for the west,if the troughs come down like that including the SW.Also Ulster and North Leinster probably down to Dublin.
    The south East and including me should escape with just a light flurry or stay mostly dry.

Polar lows by a long shot

usually reasonably small but very intense precipitation..:)

Usually they can dump 2 inches an hour:)

Wow! Bring them on so :)

Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BBC Weather this evening going for lots of snow showers next week, the Irish Sea full of them but most going to North Wales:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

The important question: Is it coming to Dublin? (because Dublin is the only worthy place in Ireland). (Joking!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The important question: Is it coming to Dublin? (because Dublin is the only worthy place in Ireland). (Joking!!!)

Heck Bartronilic, Dublin will look like this by mid next week.......

imagece1d1970-e7bd-4126-a7b6-b56da2.jpg

(Joking!!!) :v: :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Joking?! THe other thread said it will have lots. The snow can cover up the rioter's damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Taken from the other thread:
    You have very highly thought of People on TWO calling this the best model run for 5 years and since the beginning of TWO

Now I haven't been looking at TWO but some of the charts had a very "Feb 2001" look to them;)

Was quite sick yesterday but the charts I've seen this morning helped me feel better:D It seems at this stage with such a level of consistency that cold weather is guaranteed until at least Thursday. Whether this includes snow remains up for debate.

I would do pretty well out of this as I've found elevation to be much more useful in a Northerly than an Easterly but this is no normal Northerly. Anyway I'm reasonably far north so any showers that cross land should reach here, although much weaker.

Countryfile on BBC and the farming forecast should be very interesting;)

Taken from the other thread:

Now I haven't been looking at TWO but some of the charts had a very "Feb 2001" look to them;)

Was quite sick yesterday but the charts I've seen this morning helped me feel better:D It seems at this stage with such a level of consistency that cold weather is guaranteed until at least Thursday. Whether this includes snow remains up for debate.

I would do pretty well out of this as I've found elevation to be much more useful in a Northerly than an Easterly but this is no normal Northerly. Anyway I'm reasonably far north so any showers that cross land should reach here, although much weaker.

Countryfile on BBC and the farming forecast should be very interesting;)
    At 450ft asl and in North Louth,you should be exporting snow by the end of the week :)

The charts this morning and nothing less than sensational:D :D:D:D:D

They are "THE BEST" charts i have ever seen:eek: :eek:

No jokes folks the spell is being upgraded ! Agreement now for
    a cold spell to the 5th of March at least

This is really the best chance of a real fall of snow for over 4 years
    here in Dublin:D :D:D

Earthman? Would you agree with me that the coming week is our best chance
    of real snow since 2001?:eek: :D:D:D

Really the charts are the best i have EVER seen:eek:

Places in Eastern and Northern Scotland will be under 3 feet of powder come next Saturday, possibly the biggest dump
    of snow in decades..

Here by Friday in Dublin expect at least 3 inches at some stage and most likely more

Earthman wrote:
    At 450ft asl and in North Louth,you should be exporting snow by the end of the week :)
    Correction, 475 ft asl:D

The latest GFS run does look like an upgrage so far and given that it's already a noticeable difference at +96 hours, this is encouraging. The east coast of Ireland is now under -40 500 hPa air at that stage, the wind is more Northerly than NWerly and 850 hPa temps are around -8 or -9.

Now if that LP moved 75 or 100 miles SW, it would be fantastic!! Still though I'm not that happy about the fact that heavy snow looks confined to northern coasts. Beggers cant be choosers though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well we'r in for something special I think, Earthman while I love the title of this thread do you think it might be better to have a title that will warn non snow lovers like us about the cold snap coming.

Maybe something like "WARNING Severe Cold Spell This Week", just an idea.

Irish1,I wont put up any warning threads untill monday as at least then there will be some clarity on the specefics.

http://217.160.75.104/pics/Rtavn1081.png

Theres a secondary low that would plaster Ulster with snow including "to be _confirmed" in north Louth

Now lets see where it goes.... according to this run as a word of caution nothing is guaranteed specefics wise yet

• Advertisement

This run wants it to go down the Irish sea close to the East coast,it would most likely intensify as it goes down over the warmer Irish sea waters..
    http://217.160.75.104/pics/Rtavn1084.html
    Oh Goody :D

So looking at these charts we have as good as chance as anywhere at seeing some white stuff, with obviously the North seeing the best?

I shouldnt really be wishing for the kind of disruption possible from this..

Oh and yeah Northern areas would fare best.

However, that system has the capability when driving down the Irish sea to bring several inches to the East coast like the October 2003 northerly that brought 24hrs of floods and thunderstorms to Dublin.

Hard to say as its FI really.

Indeed, the +60 and +108 charts are quite decent. The +60 chart, seeing as it's not far away timewise is quite good, I'm under about 1.5 mm ppn (snow:D ) and just about under -10 hPa air.

The 108+ and onwards has the LP crashing into wales and although the chart here:
    http://217.160.75.104/pics/Rtavn1204.png

does not look that impressive, I'm sure these small details will change over the next 5 days:)

Btw I'm in south Louth but What difference does it make...:p

It's amazing just when everyone seemed to have given up on the 2005/2006 winter it goes and throws up some of the best charts seeing in years.

I remember someone once saying "the only thing you can be certain about when it comes to the weather is its uncertainty"!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

any chance of us in Meath seeing any Snow or are we too far west from the east coast to catch these showers that will be brushing the east coast?

UK Met office are now ramping:
    EARLY WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

EARLY WARNING of Heavy Snow Issued by the Met Office at 12:00 on Sunday, 26 February

OVERALL RISK ASSESSMENT: The probability of disruption due to severe weather conditions in part of the United Kingdom within the next 84 hours is 90 percent.
    This is the first warning of disruption due to Heavy Snow.
    The Met Office is forecasting a very cold northerly flow to become established across the UK during Tuesday. This is expected to bring snow showers to many places. Areas most at risk are coastal and upland regions exposed to the northerly flow - in particular northern and northeastern Scotland along with some eastern counties of England. In these areas frequent heavy snow showers could bring accumulations of 5-10cm at times, with 30 percent risk of locally over 20 cm. In addition, some locally significant falls of snow could occur over parts of N Ireland and west Wales, especially on high ground. Strong winds are likely to cause drifting at times with blizzard conditions possible over high ground. Disruption to transport is possible and some roads may become impassable.
    The cold, wintry spell is expected to continue for the following few days, with the possibility of persistent snow across southern counties. The early warning may be extended in subsequent issues as the risk becomes clearer.
    This warning will be updated by 1200 tomorrow, Monday 27th February 2006

Gonzo i know this is uncalled for but i can guarantee you'll see
    at least 2 inches outside your house this week and probably much
    much more!:D

Countryfile is on at 1145 tune in for one of the best forecasts ever:D

Is that on BBC One WC?

• Advertisement

Yea near the end of that countryfile show:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement