Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lords of Kobol say yes-Ramp on its coming!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tuesday - Saturday

Overnights mins of -4c - -8c
    Daytime maxima of 1-4c

Weather: Widespread snow showers or longer spells of snow especially in
    the east, west and north.

That sums up how this weel is going to unfold..

From Tuesday bands of snow will start clumping together to the north
    of the country and polar lows are a possiblity:)

I'd go for 5cm on the ground in Dublin by Wednesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just watched Countryfile, Monday is a non event, then Tuesday has some showers around, Wednesday and Thursday has the West Coast and North getting snow, nothing in the East though!!!!!:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

irish1 wrote:
    Just watched Countryfile, Monday is a non event, then Tuesday has some showers around, Wednesday and Thursday has the West Coast and North getting snow, nothing in the East though!!!!!:(

Snow should be expected at times everywhere. Especially this time of year with the strength of the sun. And that low in the north sea coming closer and closer:)

irish1 wrote:

Dont you worry:D :D

Honestly dont..:D

There will be widespread snow shrs during Tuesday:D ;)

tune in at 1307 for the irish version;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah, it didnt look particulary exciting for us really. Although do they pay much attention to Ireland?

Felixdhc wrote:
    Yeah, it didnt look particulary exciting for us really. Although do they pay much attention to Ireland?

Rarely would i see charts even that good on countryfile

Remember there not going to through maps with snow everywhere on
    Sunday when they can update during the week..

Troughs and bands of showers will work down throughout the week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Countryfile has plenty of whiteness on the maps. I also noticed at the very end of the run (not sure what time) had a kink in the isobars off Western Scotland.

There was a clump of whiteness also just off the irish sea for much of the time. Didn't like the wind direction forecast though - due NW.

Galway looks set for a pasting by the CF forecast. The farming forecast is up next at 1305:).

Dublin ensembles:
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/geturl/daten/profi/en/ensdia/03969_06.gif?59d244a18a7b5b2e385eec41049ab335

Anyone know a nice Hotel in the west of Donegal!! :D

Ah we'll just have to hope that wind swing nw.

No need for that hotel. Latest fax for Thursday:http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/brack3a.gif Troughs:)

Imagine this and the subsequent chart from ECM coming off:

Recm1441.gif

• Advertisement

Gonzo i know this is uncalled for but i can guarantee you'll see
    at least 2 inches outside your house this week and probably much
    much more!:D

Countryfile is on at 1145 tune in for one of the best forecasts ever:D
    I would agree with that assessment tbh.

As for Country file-the whole forecast was being general.
    Theres no way that they could be specefic at this stage and neither can the RTE forecast.
    All they can say is the usual exposed places will get snow.
    It wont be sleet with depoints well below zero,thats for sure.

The country file forecast also couldnt see polar lows or the extent of the shower activity as thats very difficult to predict in terms of the extent .
    They went for definitives which are the coastal margins.

Stay tuned to the daily forecasts for the specefics which I'd imagine will be more interesting.

Incidently the low for thursday with the big snow event is gone, which is a good thing as it prolongs the snow.
    I've a feeling even WC might be fed up of the cold by this time next week* :D

(* though I highly doubt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Hmmm, farming forecast only went as far as Tuesday!!! They obviously haven't a clue wht'll be going on for next week so. Gonna be very very interesting indeed.

Farming Forecast RTE1:Very Cold air Tuesday and Wednesday, north facing coasts seeing snow on high ground, Thursday and Friday seeing Wintry showers mainly in the North, very cold into next weekend.

Ladies and Gentlemen it looks like GAME ON, but we have a few days to go first, defo going to be cold and defo going to be snow in the North.

LoL at that RTE forecast from Gerry Murphy
    Worst forecast I've ever seen given what could be happening.

(sorry DapperGent!)

But like he came out with a classic-"maybe some snow on high ground at night" :rolleyes:

Totally ridiculous in my opinion.

MET EIREANN are going to be stung by the b**** again! Youd think they would have learnt some lessons after last Febuaries Easterly. Obviously not:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

They seemed to be very conservative on the RTE forecast just now, I thought they'd be bringing there little snow clouds into full use :D

Most people take the met offices word, so I think a few people could be in for a surprise this week, especially farmers who just watched that forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It was a bit confusing as to where they saw shower activity happening from Tuesday on. He mentioned initially north-facing coasts, and eastern coasts, but then later the charts showed no activity on the eastern coast :(

I just hope north western dublin sees something :p

Rather dissapointing, that is if they are right*

Which they are probably not:)

This is what is expected for Tuesday, nothing more, nothing less:)

60_30.gif

• Advertisement

Also temps way to high from Met Eireann. 5 -6 degrees - in Valentia maybe. Typical values will be 2 - 4 C at best:)

Where that forecast went wrong in my opinion was it didnt include a risk of snowfall at lower levels during the week.
    It was as if nothing was going to happen.

Now I'm fairly confident that there is a strong risk of snow acumilations at lower levels next week including in Dublin.
    That forecast said snow will fall only on high ground and only at night.

All pretty basic stuff as regards what you need for snow to lower levels which is why that forecast I think is one for the bin.

darkman2 wrote:
    Also temps way to high from Met Eireann. 5 -6 degrees - in Valentia maybe. Typical values will be 2 - 4 C at best:)
    Well that forecast seems to think that temperatures will rise behind the front tomorrow night which shows how flawed it probably is.

I've been getting brief maxes here today and yesterday of 6 or 7c for a half hour maybe.
    Right now its only 4.6c
    Does Met Éireann seriously expect here to be warmer on Tuesday or wenesday of next week???

Defies logic,I dont know what they are thinking-maybe they got Russel Grant in or something :D

Earthman just to show how irresponsible that forcast was especially for the north. The increase in activity during Tuesday comes when -10 is very close to our shore and even Dublin;)

Rtavn602.png

Surely if snow looked so certain they would be mentioning it now? High ground at night :rolleyes:

Whilst Met Eireann often get it right, the GFS model is far superior to the HIRLAM model and what is showing for Tuesday is most likely to occur:)

I assumed the Irish met used the UKMO info, so is HIRLAM model an Irish model?

I didnt see the forecast! Thank god it seems:D

If i dont see lying snow this week i'll be gobsmacked thats all i'll say;)

• Advertisement

You could tell Met Éireann used their own model if you saw their "atlantic charts" at the beginning of the forecast and if they talked about 4 or 5 days in advance. They sometimes show progressions which are much too smooth to be generated by hand. I've also heard a forecaster mentioning the "computer model" once.

You could also tell their accuracy is not too good... I've seen charts for a given day (say +120) change completely from the 6 pm news to the 9 pm news.
    That's all I know.

It's a strange name for a model though.

Do the met have a good reason though for minimising the risk this week? They have access to at least as much info as we do and we've seen nothing to suggest that there will be no snow on Tuesday evening and night.:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement