Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lords of Kobol say yes-Ramp on its coming!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

How do you reckon Ulster will do out of this. Im on the east coast.
    Shes lookin cold for next week alright <shiver>:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Here's a link for the HIRLAM model:
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/tkfaxhir.html
    It's not great at predicting 6 hours away:D Other links are grand though;)

Ulster seems the place to be for this cold spell. Especially northern facing coasts. East coast should still see snow though not as much if you're in Co. Down say as opposed to Co. Antrim.

Early days yet though and that could change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

sweet - excitin week ahead for all of us then

I found this site don't know if you's seen it before - I changed the country to Ireland. It tells ye how cold its supposed to be and how much precip etc!!

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/country/Ireland.html

That's a very good link - one for the sticky. Latest GFS run shows a slight downgrade but it looks set that that most of the northern half of the country should see 1 inch during the week at least. Nothing brilliant but we cant complain considering it will be early March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Another excellent run, some nice charts 54_30.gif An outlier in some ways though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Latest from MetCheck:

"The rest of the week will see a mixture of sunshine and wintry showers, most of these will fall as snow even down to low levels, but more especially over higher ground. There still remains some uncertainty over just how much snow will fall and specifically where, but at the moment parts of Scotland, Eastern England, Wales and Ireland could be at greatest risk. It wouldn't be out of the question for in excess of 15cm of snow by the end of the week and locally up to 20cm to 30cm, especially where drifting in strong Northerly or Northeasterly winds takes place.

The snow won't be the only problem, daytime temperatures will struggle to reach and pass the freezing mark, especially over snow cover. Temperatures by night will also plummet again especially over snow cover and as extremes temperatures may well reach -10C to -15C. The cold weather is currently set to last into next weekend when a breakdown is currently expected as milder weather edges in from the Atlantic. This is still a long way away but this change to milder conditions next week could also signal the threat of some significant snow for a time before it turns milder.

All in all get ready for a very wintry week and keep those winter woolies, shovels and de-icer close by!."

Sometimes they forget to put in the 'Northern' in front of Ireland;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z GFS excellant

Its going to be a bitter week with the risk of widespread snowfall

Specifics will come in in the coming 24-36hrs:) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Stand up those of ye who said winter was over, show youselfs!! :v: :v: If this snow does come ye'll be sentenced to death......by snowballing! :v: ;)
    0060-0506-2819-1621.jpg

:v: :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It does look great have to say , but, N/NW winds = dry and sunny at this time of year (in Dublin) unless associated with fronts.

Thinking the ramping going on here is OTT tbh.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield, you're a bit too pessimistic but there's definitely some truth in what youre saying. This isn't going to deliver like Feb 2001 did and it should, should deliver more than this time last year. I'm not expecting much more.

I'm just happy that some sort of snow is guaranteed. I'd prefer small amounts of guaranteed snow than loads of borderline precipitation.

If you live in Derry however, then it's time to pop open the bubbly.:)

12z GFS excellant

Its going to be a bitter week with the risk of widespread snowfall

Specifics will come in in the coming 24-36hrs:) :D

Latest UKMO cold spell goes on and on and on.............:o

the ground is now concreted amazing ENS's out o March 5th!!!!!!!

Now the building to go ontop!

Things like troughs and PL's will start to be discussed from tomorrow
    as the northerly gets underway. With cold stagant and very unstable
    air something is bound to go POP!

Longfield is bitter as i have been after so so many disappointments but
    once he see's that snow falling out his window he'll be in full ramp:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It will be interesting to see the six one forecast tomorrow night, surely they will have to start warning people of the potential disruption, especially up north.

Remember the nature of northerlies is that parts of the southeast imparticular may stay completely dry throughout and on the downside night-time snow looks in very short supply away from the north. We need night time snow for decent accumulations. I would start issuing warning for the west and north at this stage though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So darkman if you were to pick the best place and time to be for the best snow in the Rep. Of Ireland where and when would it be at the moment?

I do realise it will come a lot clearer as we go through the week and we see how any troughs develop and what direction the wind takes.

I might take my AWD subaru on a nice snow drive, Cheers

irish1 wrote:
    So darkman if you were to pick the best place and time to be for the best snow in the Rep. Of Ireland where and when would it be at the moment?

I do realise it will come a lot clearer as we go through the week and we see how any troughs develop and what direction the wind takes.

I might take my AWD subaru on a nice snow drive, Cheers

Anywhere in Ulster, North Connaught and perhaps north Leinster should have lying snow by Tuesday night. Donegal is going to get an absolute hammering though;)

Longfield is bitter as i have been after so so many disappointments but
    once he see's that snow falling out his window he'll be in full ramp:D ;)

Hehe, yer absolutely right, I like to ramp with the best of 'em !!, am more than once bitten so very shy now to go nuts , its very late in the day for this kind of stuff, but am hoping :))

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Putting some detail on it in Dublin terms, would expect that Tallaght, Lucan and more northern areas could do well..hoping my couple of miles inland here in Rathgar is enough for snow here too..was in the past!

Longfield wrote:
    Putting some detail on it in Dublin terms, would expect that Tallaght, Lucan and more northern areas could do well..hoping my couple of miles inland here in Rathgar is enough for snow here too..was in the past!
    I dont actually think height or miles inland will be needed for snow to fall from Tuesday onwards.
    There will be minus dewpoints and low temps.
    For snow to stick, thats another matter.
    From the word go on higher ground I'd say.

But Gerry Murphy's statement (repeated in other words again this evening) that shnow(deliberate h there :p) will fall on high ground at night is ridiculous
    It will increasingly fall to the coast from Tuesday onwards.
    Pin pointing showers is the key and certainly I think they'll be widespread and heavy enough from wenesday onwards especially if a secondary low or polar lows come down

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Longfield wrote:

I saw the RTE weather after 6pm news tonight. Nothing very exciting for Dublin from what I heard. Temps up a 6 deg c. Wintry stuff confined to Ulster and North Connacht. Dublin seems a bit far from either of these places to me :rolleyes:. Why would Lucan / Tallaght be favoured over other parts of Dublin?

Earthman wrote:
    Pin pointing showers is the key and certainly I think they'll be widespread and heavy enough from wenesday onwards especially if a secondary low or polar lows come down
    And how likely would that be? I know that -40 500 hPa temps will help, as will low thicknesses but is there really much likelihood of those forming? The latest fax charts do not look brilliant in terms of organised ppn.

I hope they're likely though:o

Well i honestly dont understand why Met Eireann are being so cautious??

6c??? HA:D Wont get above 3c in Dublin on Tuesday dew points circa -4c.

Wednesday no more than 3c and dew points of circa -4c..

These days are withing 84hrs and if the temp reaches 6c in Dublin i will
    eat my hat!

Ok there might not be widespread deep powder on Tuesday or Wednesday
    but it will be cold enough for snow and showers will be widespread and
    heavy at times:)

Night time temps down below -5c

I'll say that im VERY confident about this..

Every weather model is too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Earthman wrote:
    But Gerry Murphy's statement (repeated in other words again this evening) that shnow(deliberate h there :p) will fall on high ground at night is ridiculous

On the six one at least, though he qualified it once as being "snow on the hills", I don't think he said it'd just be at night, or did I heard that wrong? Their forecast on the web says there could be snow at lower levels "when temperatures drop", whatever that means.

But it was discouraging how he said "northern parts, even north connaught" :rolleyes: Hmm. I hope some of it travels down to north dub at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

darkman2 wrote:
    Remember the nature of northerlies is that parts of the southeast imparticular may stay completely dry throughout and on the downside night-time snow looks in very short supply away from the north. We need night time snow for decent accumulations. I would start issuing warning for the west and north at this stage though:)

When you say the west, how far down do you think snow will reach, i.e. will Kerry see a bit, or would i be better off heading to Brandon or Carrauntuohill..

Showers will be widespread, yes, but that's if you just consider north ulster and connaught. In Dublin, heavy and prolonged snow showers are unlikely IMO. Dublin would be lucky if they got 2 or 3 inches of lying snow.

• Advertisement

Showers will be widespread, yes, but that's if you just consider north ulster and connaught. In Dublin, heavy and prolonged snow showers are unlikely IMO. Dublin would be lucky if they got 2 or 3 inches of lying snow.

From just showers then yes i would agree:)

But more from features such as Polar lows and big troughs:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement