Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lords of Kobol say yes-Ramp on its coming!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oh and oviously th wind direction is crucial and at this stage the direction
    after Wednesday is open to change due to the slackness of the LP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

And a polar low appearing? I can't really see any reason to be hopeful for one of them. I guess I won't let myself be hopeful:)

But I'd like to see concrete proof that a polar LP has a decent chance of appearing before I let myself get drawn in.

Well we have 500hpa temps below -35 which is the key figure
    they can spark off pretty much anytime under these conditions:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We need troughs, we really do in this flow if some are not to end up disappointed. Preferably at night. There is a chance showers could develope inland at this time of year. We have to watch that too.:)

Im liking this beeb forcast, showing showers coming that little bit further south:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

60_30.gif

• Advertisement

^^Not too bad:)

60_30.gif

Yes lots of heavy snow showers packing in behind the front, everywhere except............................Limerick;)

^^Not too bad:)

The chart or the beeb? There both good:D

Ehh did you try try the link to the beeb forecast? Billy the Squid's chart was impressive and I'm suprised at the extent of snowfall. I hope I shall be plesantly suprised come Tuesday evening:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

How does this compare to the Feb 01 event and what was that event in terms of N'wly, N'ely etc? Oooh and how should I do in the upcoming spell, living in Glasnevin at the moment. :)

...boards is feckin slow tonight :mad:

• Advertisement

27th February 2001 consisted of an LP which was situated over Cumbria in England, from what I remember of a fax chart I saw posted here from the date itself.

There were northeasterly winds basically north of Dublin and Northwesterlies south of it.

This spell will not be as good as Feb 2001 as far as I'm concerned but it depends on how you did 6 years ago. I would expect up to 1 or mabye 2 inches of lying snow at some stage during the week.:)

Ehh did you try try the link to the beeb forecast? Billy the Squid's chart was impressive and I'm suprised at the extent of snowfall. I hope I shall be plesantly suprised come Tuesday evening:)

OOOOPs sry bout that. You can see it on the beeb website:)

"Snow on the hills" - Gerry Murphy.

Not even a mention of snow for Tuesday. Breakdown progged for Friday!

I think there will be a few adjustments tomorrow night:)

February 27th 2001 consisted of an LP which was situated over Cumbria in England, from what I remember of a fax chart I saw posted here from the date itself.

There were northeasterly winds basically north of Dublin and Northwesterlies south of it.

This spell will not be as good as Feb 2001 as far as I'm concerned but it depends on how you did 6 years ago. I would expect up to 1 or mabye 2 inches of lying snow at some stage during the week.:)

Cheers. From memory there would have been certainly 3+ inches in my area and more in drifts. Although it may have been more, certainly caused disruption anyway. Took me 3 hours to get to work in what would normally be about 40 mins. I suppose if we get even 2 inches I'll be somewhat happy! Fingers etc crossed
    :D

Felixdhc wrote:
    Cheers. From memory there would have been certainly 3+ inches in my area and more in drifts. Although it may have been more, certainly caused disruption anyway. Took me 3 hours to get to work in what would normally be about 40 mins. I suppose if we get even 2 inches I'll be somewhat happy! Fingers etc crossed
    :D

Here there was at least 8 inches with 3 feet drifts:D :D:D

O memories the windows were just pasted.. 24 hours of constent snow
    even thought it was of the wet variety.. Electricity gone etc.. i wont
    go into now;)

Here there was at least 8 inches with 3 feet drifts:D :D:D

O memories the windows were just pasted.. 24 hours of constent snow
    even thought it was of the wet variety.. Electricity gone etc.. i wont
    go into now;)

Where are you again, North Dublin? I was in Raheny at the time, may have been more than 3 inches, I remember most the fun I had trying to drive in it! So what are your thoughts now WC as we get nearer to this? I am still very negative as I would feel the Irish met would be mentioning it a bit more by now.

I would say a few light snow showers may make it here:)

Otherwise a dry and bright week with maxima of 5/6c:)

* i am now a member of the Irish Met

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just looking at Metcheck at it seems that for me (in Carlow) anyway all I'm really going to see is a cold dry week.......sighh, cold dry weeks arent much fun :rolleyes: . Whats the chances of a bit of snow falling in Carlow over the next week? I know its pretty impossible to predict, but could it come down that far south?

Give me some hope before I face into another Monday :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is still no polar low showing up on any of the FAX charts. GFS has a low over us at one point on the 00z run but it has insignificant precipitation when you look at the ppn chart.

This is something though:) http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/brack0a.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The new met eireann forecast is simultaneously funny, and interesting. Funny because the forecast for tuesday is all of about ten words "Tomorrow will be a bright cold day with further wintry showers.", interesting because the mentioned wind direction for the coming week is "between northwest and northeast in direction". Hopefully we'll see precipitation pushed onto the east coast..preferably from the east i guess (yeah, that's my selfish, dublin-centric pov :o ).

A band of snow will push from north to south during Tuesday..

Many areas can expect appreciations of snow.. max temps in the east 3-4c
    dropping through the day. precip will make it to Dublin by 12pm..:D

So it all begins today as the arctic cold front sweeps south!!

Snow could even fall for a while in the early hours over higher ground
    before the real punch of arctic air:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just had a light snow shower here (Roscrea)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Just had a light snow shower here (Roscrea)

Interesting.. should warm up slightly to 6/7c through the day in advance of
    the cold front which could be quite active:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's very light in fairness but there's hope !

My thermo is saying -0.4

EDIT: You might just see a few flakes in this pic LOL-snow on the roof no frost overnight

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I'm afraid I don't know how to attach charts to my posts , but it worth looking at the fax charts for Thursday and Friday . A frontal system appears on the charts for Thur. , and by Friday it has moved very swiftly all the way to the Low Countries . It passes over the Southern half of Ireland on the way and remains in sub-528 dam air all the way . Obviously , it's a while away yet , but if that feature came off , it could well provide significant snow to many areas .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Fax Charts do look good for Thursday:

There is still no polar low showing up on any of the FAX charts. GFS has a low over us at one point on the 00z run but it has insignificant precipitation when you look at the ppn chart.

This is something though:) http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/brack0a.gif
    Polar lows are instantaneous features that can only be picked up within 24 to 36 hrs max after forming.They would have a chance of developing in an unstable northerly but the northerly hasnt really got going yet-even way up north.

Interesting.. should warm up slightly to 6/7c through the day in advance of
    the cold front which could be quite active:)

Kilkenny at 9am from Met.ie
    KILKENNY(P) N 03 SNOW SHOWER 1 81 Trace 1028

I wonder is it night there still and on high ground :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I like it, hopefully there will be plenty more of that to come!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement