Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Lear essays

Options
  • 26-02-2006 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out? I have the essay King Lear is " a man more sinned against than sinning" discuss to do! I did an essay last week and was told it was too character and story based! What my main hurdle regarding these essays is where exactly do I start? I mean what themes or issues do I chose! If anyone has any advice on starting this essay and what slant to take on it - I would really appreciate it! Thanks! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Too character- and story-based? What on earth are you *supposed* to base it on! LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

luckat wrote:
    Too character- and story-based? What on earth are you *supposed* to base it on! LOL!
    :)

i did that question in my mock....and thinking back, i think now mine may be too character and story based!! But i did put in things like the significance of the storm and the theme of blindeness and stuff! anyways...if i get ok in that essay, i'll let you know what i did with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

luckat wrote:
    you base it on key points in the story. At a moment. You do not discuss the plot and go this happened then that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

you base it on key points in the story. At a moment. You do not discuss the plot and go this happened then that
    that sounds familiar!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Yes I did it in the mock too! I think I just waffled though! I want to this right! So should I just pick a few key moments and then discuss some themes? Like one moment is how Lear banishes his good daughter and divides the kingdom between the bad is an example of his own wrong doing - like he brought his own misery to himself? and then how eventually he redemes his self is through suffering and madness - and admits he deserved what he got...does that sound right?any other suggestions would be great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

http://www.planetpapers.com/Assets/5947.php
    The school beside me had this question for the mocks so I presumed we'd get it so I studied this sample essay. Proved a godsend, aced the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Does anyone know if the Theme oF Blindness was on any of the mocks, or specifically the ExamCraft ones (with the clipart of a book on the top of the front page where it says 'Pre-Leaving Cert Examination') because my English Paper 1 was from them and I heard that might come up...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Linku wrote:
    Does anyone know if the Theme oF Blindness was on any of the mocks, or specifically the ExamCraft ones (with the clipart of a book on the top of the front page where it says 'Pre-Leaving Cert Examination') because my English Paper 1 was from them and I heard that might come up...

Yes theme of blindness and also "Evil horrifies but also fascinates the reader" got the same one as U!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Thanks for the website address but I kinda want to do a good essay on my own! I was just looking for tips on how to start essays! Im not very keen on those internet essays! sorry - thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Yes theme of blindness and also "Evil horrifies but also fascinates the reader" got the same one as U!
    Yay! I have sample essays on both :D

Any chance of finding out what came up for the comparative and poets?

• Advertisement
Advertisement