Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

REQUEST: A good GPS solution for use in IRELAND

Options
  • 26-02-2006 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

:) I am a Non-Irish national with provisional driving licence and own a Peugeot 2001 car . I find it very very difficult to find places in Dublin while i am driving. I also recently got a job in county West Meath. I was thinking of buying a GPS receiver to use it with a Software like MS-Autoroute 2006 on my laptop. But I dropped the idea, since it would be a great risk to drive looking at my laptop.

Please suggest a good GPS solution (with model number and cheapest place to buy) that would serve the following requirements:
    1. Latest maps
    2. Maximum coverage in Dublin and at least average coverage in other counties
    3. Must get voice guidance and touch screen
    4. Do I have to go for a PDA/Smartphone with built in GPS / attached Gps receiver or a "Dedicated" GPS solution
    5. Must be easily un-mountable since i dont want to leave it in my car when i leave the car.

I have found reviews of tons of GPS devices at CNET.com like Tom-Tom, Garmin, Navman but find it very difficult to select the best one for Irish roads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I bought a Navman iCN 520 from the following site: www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=125359. The price was just over €400, including delivery.
    I wanted it mainly for the UK, but it has good coverage of Dublin and the main towns in Ireland.
    I just checked the Dublin coverage. It covers very well the area inside and including, Swords, Lucan, Rathcoole, Shankill.
    It does not cover Skerries, Newcastle or Bray.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Either navigon or copilot. They have the most complete maps for ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Garmin c320.

It has all of dublin city, is compact, voice reminders and the unit can be easilt removed from the holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JOSSYJACOB

What is the price of navigon or copilot

the NAVMAN mentioned seems to be with UK maps. Any thing for Ireland?

Any url for reviewing the above mentioned navigon or copilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    What is the price of navigon or copilot

the NAVMAN mentioned seems to be with UK maps. Any thing for Ireland?

Any url for reviewing the above mentioned navigon or copilot?
    The Navman I mentioned, with the link, above says UK, but has Ireland as I described.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Do a search for "Sat Nav" already extensively discussed.

NavTeq maps = Good

TeleAtlas maps = Bad.

For instance: My NavTeq based Sat Nav has Skerries and Bray fully mapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The ALDI one discussed regularly here seems to be good, haven't heard an bad points about it ! Its about €349.00 AFAIK !

If you get a PDA you need a failry good one as the maps take up a lot of memeory and so does the actual programme !

I bought a cheap Ipaq PDA on eBAy and downloaded Mapopolis free. I just got the demo maps, its decent but not perfect !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I've tried most major GPS solutions available and CoPilot has the best maps for Ireland overal. Most other ones will have OK maps for Dublin and other major cities but as soon as you venture outside these you're basicall ****ed.
    I would not buy an all-in-one unit but just buy a PDA (iPaq) seperately and stick the software on there...

E.

mayhem# wrote:
    I've tried most major GPS solutions available and CoPilot has the best maps for Ireland overal. Most other ones will have OK maps for Dublin and other major cities but as soon as you venture outside these you're basicall ****ed.
    I would not buy an all-in-one unit but just buy a PDA (iPaq) seperately and stick the software on there...

E.

Is there any PDA with gps receiver on it?

or

Do i have to buy a bluetooth gps receiver and connect it to a bluetooth enabled PDA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    Is there any PDA with gps receiver on it?

or

Do i have to buy a bluetooth gps receiver and connect it to a bluetooth enabled PDA

There are one or two PDA's with integrated GPS receiver but they are prone to breakage.
    If you go for the CoPilot option these are sold including a Bluetooth receiver...

E.

• Advertisement

Found a GPS solution from LG. How good is it?

http://www.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?catModel=0&actType=&modelName=&currentPage=&categoryId=020205&parentId=02&modelCategoryId=020205&modelCodeDisplay=LN-600

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315487

Where should I look for CoPilot with a Bluetooth receiver.

Also plz suggest MS-Windows based PDA with Bluetooth, IR & Wireless functionality with a good amount of RAM.
    I prefer the GlobalSat BT 338 Bluetooth Gps Receiver based on SIRF III chipset (£84.99)
    Any other good SIRF III chipset based receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I read in PC pro I think a few weeks ago that the Acer n35 had the best price / quality balance.
    Its a PDA and GPS etc all in one.

Good news is you can pick it up at Argos with the GPS maps etc installed for less than €350 I think.

Not sure if this is what your after but I'm gonna get one:)

Hope this helps !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kitten_cutie

I have one of the Aldi ones that I bought a few weeks ago. Dont really need it anymore as most of my driving is done pretty close to home. Comes with cables,car charger,usb cable,handy little pouch and windscreen holder. Paid 349.99 for it-will let it go for 250 if anyones interested. It uses windows CE so i read somewhere it can be turned into a pda. comes loaded with great maps of ireland and england. Its amazing piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Paid 349.99 for it-will let it go for 250 if anyones interested

Put it up in the for sale computer forum and the for sale general forum and I'll guarantee you it will be sold for asking price within minutes :D

Go on, give it a try!

I have one of the Aldi ones that I bought a few weeks ago. Dont really need it anymore as most of my driving is done pretty close to home. Comes with cables,car charger,usb cable,handy little pouch and windscreen holder. Paid 349.99 for it-will let it go for 250 if anyones interested. It uses windows CE so i read somewhere it can be turned into a pda. comes loaded with great maps of ireland and england. Its amazing piece of kit.

What is the model Number? Do u have a link for it so that i could see the specification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Interested as well, just started a new job(Field Sales for Ireland) so a Sat Nav would be very handy!

mayhem# wrote:

E.

ALK Copilot Live 6 PDA Bluetooth satnav kit costs around £177.99 at http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=1794

Which PDA would be cost effective with the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'd suggest eBay for the software...................try

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=gps+software&category0=

.................and for the PDA too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kitten_cutie

sorry to ruin your thread again jacob-but the gps i have is MSPNA175. Dont know the processor speed. I did here some people that changed it to run on the win ce thats already loaded on it instead of the medion screen. This also works as an mp3 player!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

sorry to ruin your thread again jacob-but the gps i have is MSPNA175. Dont know the processor speed. I did here some people that changed it to run on the win ce thats already loaded on it instead of the medion screen. This also works as an mp3 player!

Quick google and I cant find anything

Is there any site to compare different PDA's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nirmalkishore

Tried google search using space at different letters and voila!!!
    MS PNA175

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=MS+PNA175&btnG=Search&meta=

Which is the best place for online shopping in ireland.
    Is it :-
    1.Komplett.ie
    2.Expansys.ie
    3.Shopireland.ie

Any other?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I'm thinking myself to buy an Acer N35.
    Is it any good GPS wise (maps etc.)

gibbon75 wrote:
    I'm thinking myself to buy an Acer N35.
    Is it any good GPS wise (maps etc.)

The Acer one is "OK" if you dont want SiRF Star III high performance and low power consumption chipset. It can use the signals from 20 satelites and hence more accuracy.

A new model from Fujitsu Siemens is comming this July
    1. Pocket LOOX 810
    2. Pocket LOOX 830

Very good specification, but comes at a price - approx Euro 700

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

JOSSYJACOB wrote:
    The Acer one is "OK" if you dont want SiRF Star III high performance and low power consumption chipset. It can use the signals from 20 satelites and hence more accuracy.

A new model from Fujitsu Siemens is comming this July
    1. Pocket LOOX 810
    2. Pocket LOOX 830

Very good specification, but comes at a price - approx Euro 700

any idea what software/maps these are using.

I think Navteq just polished up on a new version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

could get a nokia n70 phone and route66 mobile7 tis brilliant uses the ol navteq maps

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

My budget is €450-€500.What would be the best option in this range?

• Advertisement

I came across the Rikaline 6033 Bluetooth GPS receiver with 32 Channels today. Dont know how reliable it is !

Any body using it ? plz tell me how good it is .

To Gibbon,
    My advice is to go fo a Bluetooth enabled PDA with any of the ones listed at the follo. link:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/category.aspx?categoryID=9&startpage=1

Detailed analysis about various GPS chipsets and receivers can be had at
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?group=2

Advertisement