Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me a VGA cooler........

Options
  • 26-02-2006 2:11pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a Vga cooler because the stock 7800gt cooler is very loud , and it exhausts right into my chipset:rolleyes:

So i was thinking of getting:

1 Arctic cooling Silencer 5 (rev3)- cheap, and exhausts hot air from case

2 Arctic cooling Accellero X1- their newest cooler, it has heatpipes, but doesnt exhaust

3 Zalman Vf700- expensive, nicely lapped base

What do you think???

here is a review of the accelero X1

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ac_accelero_x1/index.shtml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have the Zalman cooler myself. It does the job well and is barely audible running on 5v. I actually would of got the Arctic cooling Silencer 5 (rev3) but I couldnt find the 7800 series version for sale anywhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I hear the Zalman is loud at full tilt, and doesnt cool well at 5v..........

I have heard a silencer before but never a zalman......

I like the idea of the exhaust too.......

anyone have any reviews................

Decisions:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Well my 7800 gpu idles at 40°C on 5v and if I'm playing a game I just switch it to 12v with my Zalman fan controller. It is quite audible at 12v but it doesnt really matter over the sound of the game. At full load it usually tops out at around 55/60°C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

go with the silencer, tried and tested decent cooler, cools well and its wel... silent :rolleyes:

I just fitted my silencer last night, with the 7800gtx back plate that Leadtek gave me.

It cools great and its silent and I can Oc to 500/600 easily ;)

I also put some AS5 on my chipset and its now 40 degrees load instead of 50 @ 4000rpm which is quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

So where did you end up ordering it from ?
    Did you find it hard to install ?
    And would it fit my 7800GS AGP video card ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i am also interested to know where u ordered it from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I was looking for one about a month back and they were non-existant in europe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

BadCharlie wrote:
    So where did you end up ordering it from ?
    Did you find it hard to install ?
    And would it fit my 7800GS AGP video card ?

Thanks

Yeah same i would like to know if there are any 7800gs AGP coolers out there.

I got it from a shop on Ebay called BlackcatPC they have 99.9% feedback from over 5500 customers;)

http://stores.ebay.ie/BLACKCATPC

It shipped really fast and cost 35 euro shipped from the UK

It was really easy to install and comes with pre-applied TIM and memory pads, the hardest bit was removing the stock heatsink, you have to heat it with a hairdryer so that ther thermal paste looses its grip.

It comes with a small backplate and a mounting bracket, but seen as Leadtek gave me a 7800gtx backplate I used that,

I have my PC set up on the desk at the minute outside the case, and the Silencer is running at 100% and its still quiet, You may have to use Riva tuner to reduce the speed slightly if your an audophile, but it should be ok once its in a case under my desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

look here http://tinyurl.com/qecvl or here http://tinyurl.com/rxhsx. i've got the same one on my 6800 and it works really well.

Thanks Greglo, nice prices, what is shipping time/cost like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i think Jes is 10 Euro for shipping but the last time i bought some stuff from them they would only take payment by bank transfer. pclook are fairly quick but they look for proof of identity for the first transaction. i emailed them a scan of my driving license and smooth sailing after that. Jes are definitely cheaper for most things. just go through most of the steps for a transaction and it should show the shipping costs. just checked there and pclook are 32 for shipping. gone up a bit since i last bought from them.

Just got my xfx 7800gs AGP today have to say its very quite even when overclocked, idle its about 48oc

48 degrees seems a bit high for idle temps, Mine idled at 35 with the stock cooler.

Anyway what it like, the AGP version?

conzymaher wrote:
    48 degrees seems a bit high for idle temps, Mine idled at 35 with the stock cooler.

Anyway what it like, the AGP version?

Yeah it is a bit but its in a superlanboy case not the best for airflow its good plays bf2 on high really well havent got a 3d mark for it yet thow great card will keep my system going for another 2years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah it is a bit but its in a superlanboy case not the best for airflow its good plays bf2 on high really well havent got a 3d mark for it yet thow great card will keep my system going for another 2years at least

Have the same card but made by POV. Good card but my fan after lets say 10mins after i boot up does this high pitch sound thats so bad hurts my ears. I slap the case and it will stop for a while then start up again. Might have to buy some cooler for it just not sure what will fit the 7800GS. Im guesing that all the coolers that fir the 7800Gt and GTX will also fit the GS right ??

Advertisement