Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT apply for University Status - PLEASE SIGN PETITION

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I heavily endorse this upgrade to Red Brick University status for WIT. Then we can set about giving it to the rest of the ITs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Merlante when you talk about jobs going to Cork you have to remember who the Minister for Employment and Enterprise is , this man in different ministries has shown such unbelievable favouritism to his own constituency and there has not been a single peep about it in the national media , every second day when you open the papers its about jobs going to Cork
    I firmly believe that while this man holds office Waterford will be overlooked for everything
    Its hard to believe that Waterford has a senior minister and every move he makes is scrutinised by the media and Michael Martin in Cork gets away scott free
    The only way Waterford will get a university is through political pressure but with such strong forces against us its going to be a long struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote:
    merlante get a grip! How many people on this thread or in this City and indeed region are against a university for the South east?

Practically no-one!

The only dissent regards whether some two-bit online petition (or similair kinds of agitation) is going to make any difference to the on-going political campaign...

Mike.

Mike - I see where you're coming from. But, IMHO, EVERY LITTLE THING helps. That's the way things are. Many things which were considered two-bit in the past turned out to be winners.

Wasn't it the chairman of IBM (I think) who said in the 60s that he only saw a market for 5, or maybe 6, PCs? We all have to pull together. If someone wants to get a petition going - hey - go for it.

If you have a diffrerent approach I'll support it. But all of the approaches combined may cause a knock-on effect. Stick together - and we'll get there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

My last few words on this post:

Yes the South East needs a University, Yes it should be located at WIT. My point was that from my experience and from the experience of others the college has as lot of improving to do. It has some serious issues with organisation, communication and teaching standards etc. These issues are not necessarily caused by lack of funding. In other words the college could really help its cause by pulling up its socks.

From a campaigning point of view, this is the same as the radiotherapy issue. People need to be mobilised. High profile campaigns are needed. Online petitions while good intentioned will achieve little.

Col O. you’re the one who is talking bollox about the Kilkenny stuff. I was merely saying that the Waterford Kilkenny issue has nothing to do with the debate when Freddie asked where I’m form. As I said earlier:“I have lived in Waterford for 8 years. I consider the place my home. I want to see what’s best for the city

floyd333 wrote:

Yes the South East needs a University, Yes it should be located at WIT. My point was that from my experience and from the experience of others the college has as lot of improving to do. It has some serious issues with organisation, communication and teaching standards etc. These issues are not necessarily caused by lack of funding. In other words the college could really help its cause by pulling up its socks.

I see where you're coming from. You've made quite an allegation against WIT. Would you possibly be able to back it up with some examples?
    floyd333 wrote:
    From a campaigning point of view, this is the same as the radiotherapy issue. People need to be mobilised. High profile campaigns are needed. Online petitions while good intentioned will achieve little.

Every little helps - as already pointed out. The people involved are to be commended for their efforts - no matter how small. Imagine if ALL of us did SOMETHING?
    floyd333 wrote:
    Col O. you’re the one who is talking bollox about the Kilkenny stuff. I was merely saying that the Waterford Kilkenny issue has nothing to do with the debate when Freddie asked where I’m form. As I said earlier:“I have lived in Waterford for 8 years. I consider the place my home. I want to see what’s best for the city

And fair play to you for the sentiments. But unfortunately the issue does rear it's head at times, as certain people do have agendas. Our agenda is to bring a University to Waterford - all Waterford people aspire to it. That's it - plain and simple. But we must be careful that it is not swiped from beneath our noses also.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭col o

floyd333 wrote:

I'm not talking bollox about the Waterford /Kilkenny stuff.As I pointed out it was Cork RTC who scuppered Waterford's chances of having something more than the other colleges.If that had succeded (as it was supposed to) the Uni issue might not be on the agenda now.Freddie could have had this in mind when he asked you where you were from.You where the one who made the first references to Waterford/Kilkenny and insular atitudes.You're right it has nothing to do with it,so why bring it up?

I'm glad to hear you consider Waterford you're home but I felt your comment was an indictment against Waterford so I responded in the context it was made.

col o wrote:
    I'm not talking bollox about the Waterford /Kilkenny stuff.As I pointed out it was Cork RTC who scuppered Waterford's chances of having something more than the other colleges.

If that had succeded (as it was supposed to) the Uni issue might not be on the agenda now.Freddie could have had this in mind when he asked you where you were from.

Exactly.;)

Advertisement