Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

carling cup final(man utd v wigan)contains scores

• 26-02-2006 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭

so just opened my first can of ale and hoping for a man utd win,
    prediction...3-0 utd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can't see United keeping a clean sheet, don't see this one as a landslide. Narrow win for United for me....3-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Ruud on the bench, Saha starts. O' Shea in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Brian017 wrote:
    Ruud on the bench, Saha starts.

that is a strange one??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Wigan 2-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wigan 2-1

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

Wigan to win on Penalties.

Bullard to score the last peno :)

I expect Wigan to put up a good fight but Utd to be too strong for them in the end. 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fletcher not even in the squad John O she straigh back into midfield with Giggs Ronaldo Park and Ronaldo. Rooney and Saha up front . Thats a very attacking line up.

Saha's goals got United to the final so its only fair he starts. I'm sure Ruud will get on at some stage.

Utd 3-1.

It's only right that Saha starts, he's the top scorer in the competition.

• Advertisement

Muppet how many Ronaldos do Utd have? Giggs is through the middle and Park is wide by the looks of it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

zabbo wrote:
    Wigan 2-0
    mike wrote:
    Wigan 2-1

Mike.
    €30 returns €300 on Wigan winning in the 90 minutes with Betfred. Anyone that thinks Wigan have a higher than 10% chance of winning in the 90 minutes should be getting on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    Muppet how many Ronaldos do Utd have? Giggs is through the middle and Park is wide by the looks of it.

Mike.

Doh . Park is left Ronaldo (number 1) on the right giggs and O shea in the middle .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Rooney header off the post! Come on United

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Wigan Keeper looks done already.

I think 3-0 to United

Pollet coming off having picked up a knock.

Mike.

Good break from Rooney, squared to Ronaldo who miscued and should have done better!

o`shea is all over the place

yes.....rooney rooney

Rooney scores.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

what channel is it on?

sky sports 1

sky have a cup final? typical,

blu_sonic wrote:
    sky have a cup final? typical,
    ITV have extended highlights later tonight. 11:15 I think.

2-0 saha

3-0 ronaldo

4-0 rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus wigan are gone to crap. They hav'nt connected a pass since before Utd got the 2nd. Their defendign is attrocious. For Utds 2nd when the ball was played out wide and Neville was going onthe overlap, not one player took it upon himself to go out and give a hand. Instead the whole defence stood, while neville took teh ball and layed it on to Saha to tap it in.

Bet Filan is cursing Pollits hamstring. :D

On another note, why the hell do players take their shirt off when they know they will get a yellow for it? It's not that difficult a concept.

This is great stuff from United. Let's make it 5-0. Hard flicking between the rugby and cup finals though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

2 pages? Some contrast to last year's final. I guess that one was more important though...

As much as we'd prefer to be a goal down going into a second leg of a champions league, this is great stuff from United and a trophy, albeit not the ideal one, is still a trophy at the end of the day.

Now should I go back and start quoting all those pool fans who said we'd lose? Nah...(Would only be all of Mayordenis's posts anyway)

is it full time? poor wigan i think for the romance of football it'd been great if they won, it would have been good if they showed up at this stage

I take it this ceases to be a mickey mouse competition now?
    Just aswell yous won it, if not you'd have only won it the same amount of times as Wigan.

fade2black wrote:
    2 pages? Some contrast to last year's final. I guess that one was more important though...

As much as we'd prefer to be a goal down going into a second leg of a champions league, this is great stuff from United and a trophy, albeit not the ideal one, is still a trophy at the end of the day.

Now should I go back and start quoting all those pool fans who said we'd lose? Nah...(Would only be all of Mayordenis's posts anyway)

one more trophy that the pool will win this season:D

I take it this ceases to be a mickey mouse competition now?
    Just aswell yous won it, if not you'd have only won it the same amount of times as Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Stekelly wrote:
    Jesus wigan are gone to crap. They hav'nt connected a pass since before Utd got the 2nd. Their defendign is attrocious. For Utds 2nd when the ball was played out wide and Neville was going onthe overlap, not one player took it upon himself to go out and give a hand. Instead the whole defence stood, while neville took teh ball and layed it on to Saha to tap it in.

Bet Filan is cursing Pollits hamstring. :D

On another note, why the hell do players take their shirt off when they know they will get a yellow for it? It's not that difficult a concept.

If I scored the winner (or a goal for that matter) in a soccer match in front of thousands, I'd tend to lose reason for a few minutes too. I think its silly if they are carded for celebrating with their own fans, like Micah Richards last weekend. The lad had just scored a 94th minute leveller.

And the rule is not all that clear-cut, it uses wording like "in the referee's reasoning" or something I think, don't quote me on it though!

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    If I scored the winner (or a goal for that matter) in a soccer match in front of thousands, I'd tend to lose reason for a few minutes too. I think its silly if they are carded for celebrating with their own fans, like Micah Richards last weekend. The lad had just scored a 94th minute leveller.

And the rule is not all that clear-cut, it uses wording like "in the referee's reasoning" or something I think, don't quote me on it though!

No its different from the other rule. The other one is left to the refs discretion where your not allowed to go over the barrier or over celebrate. The one about the shirt is very clear cut, in that it says "do not take your shirt off or you will be booked"

Anyone for a Jimmy Bullard double hat-trick & 3rd eye moment in the last 10?:D

4-0 :( Wigan you are a disgrace! Seriously, what happened? Poor defence or lousy attack?

Mike.

Poor defence, mediocre attack Mike. United (particularly Wes Brown) snuffed out everything. Rooney/Wes for man of the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

henchoz had a bad game.
    start of the second half i thought it was gonna be a good game, then united went and scored 3 times, which just killed it

congrats anyway
    things not looking so bright for wigan now, they could finish bottom half of the table if things dont pick up, which would be a shame imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Van Nistelroy did not look a happy camper at all. Didnt smile that much, didnt jump or get involved in the celebration, and then walked off on the team down the tunnel.

TBH if I was United top goalscorer and most valuable player which he pretty much is, I'd be pissed I wasnt picked for a cup final.

Say all you want bout Saha he has performed in a mickey mouse cup gainst mickey mouse opposition. Still hasnt proved his original 10million pound tag.

I thought it was an entertaining game up until Ronaldo came off. I think today showed jsut how exciting that kid can be, he really made that game a joy to watch.

Was a good game up til the 4-0 which obviously killed it off but Wigan kepy trying.

I jsut hope the FA cup can be jsut as good.

• Advertisement

It was flattering in one sense, because United didn't dominate for the whole 90 minutes. After Rooney scored in the first half, Wigan came on strong and even looked the stronger going into half-time.
    They also started the second half quite well, but in one brilliant move United just showed the difference in quality at the end of the day. It was a nothing-situation, Silvestre was stuck in his own corner under pressure from Wigan players. He got it out to Giggs, who passed 2 or 3 players and played a cross-field ball to Ronaldo, who moved it onto Neville in one of his trademark overlaps, and he played a ball across to Saha. The second goal came soon after that with Ronaldo finishing off well from another nice movie, and the 4th came almost straight away after that, Rooney from a Giggs free-kick.
    There'll inevitably be 'micky mouse cup' comments to follow in this thread, but hell, a trophy is a trophy and it was quite a nice consulation seeing the team on the podium even if it was their last priority at the start of the season.
    Wigan won't be thinking about how wonderful an adventure it has been for them, because they'll be disappointed at their performance. They were cup open for each of the goals (well, the first one was a pretty bad error on their own part) and they were pretty fruitless up top.
    One final note, it was a nice touch that all the United players had t-shirts that said 'For You Smudge' when they went up to get the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

"With that kind of competition we face nowadays, winning one trophy is good, I'm telling you.

"No matter what it is, you have to take that as a successful season because there are teams who are not going to win a trophy this year - big clubs, maybe not as world-renowned as Manchester United, but certainly big, big clubs with great histories." - Alex Ferguson

mickey mouse or not?
    did ferguson ever directly insult the league cup? if so, i'd love some quotes to laugh at his hypocracy

edit: to point out, i never called it a mickey mouse competition, the first time i recall ever hearing that was with liverpool's treble and will watch smugly if united fans change their tone

eyerer wrote:
    edit: to point out, i never called it a mickey mouse competition, the first time i recall ever hearing that was with liverpool's treble and will watch smugly if united fans change their tone
    It happens all the time, it's natural that fans of rival teams try to save face. I'm sure a lot of United fans were calling it a micky mouse cup last season when Liverpool were squaring up against Chelsea. Did Benitez or Mourinho feel that way? You can bet they didn't.

maybe not through his words, but through his actions shown towards the cup, fielding near under 21 teams and the sorts, but a cup win is a cup win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

fair play to sir alex for having the balls to drop van the man. ive said he should be dropped before as he's lazy outside the box. then he'd usually score 1 or 2 and leave me eating my words.

anyway it worked today. saha was lively as usual, rooney was hungry and ronaldo and giggs looked like men on a mission. brown and rio were no nonsense today with silvestre, o'shea, park, van der saar and neville all having decent displays too.

theres no doubt fergie had prepared them well and had them going out in the right frame of mind. a trophy eases the pressure and is a base upon which to add to next year.

by the way, wtf was andy gray on about 'showing respect to opponents' when ronaldo flicked the ball up and did a few keepy uppys? they were 4-0 up and ronaldo was milking it, loving every second. sure he does it when utd are losing aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

smemon wrote:
    fair play to sir alex for having the balls to drop van the man. ive said he should be dropped before as he's lazy outside the box. then he'd usually score 1 or 2 and leave me eating my words.
    You weren't alone in that. Sir Alex is 6 months behind my thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

anyone got the highlights of the match for download. My girlfriend wants to see ronaldos goal celebration again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If anyone thinks Ruud was dropped because Saha and Rooney Fergie thinks they deserve their spot ahaed of him, they are just being silly.
    Ruud will start every game between now and the end of the season that he can, and he should too.

---

Well, I'm just delighted, what a win, an historic day, victory in the league cup.
    Who cares :)
    Extremely annoyed at Fergie not giving Rossi/Pique a run out. This is what the league cup is about, but alas.
    Ronaldo once again on form, my MOM, but alas Rooney gets the aplauds.
    Good preformance from United, deserved win.

As for it being a Micky Mouse cup, I think it should be for United anyway. It should be a chance for the youth to play, but it isn't.

It is evolving with the financial aspect of the game, and in this compo, Chelsea/Liverpool fielded near full strength teams in most rounds. Maybe it is becoming less of the joke. That said, it should be for non top 4 teams to try win a cup, and they should play their youth teams.
    But that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Chelsea/Liverpool fielded near full strength teams in most rounds. .

Eh.... No. Liverpool certainly didnt anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Oh well happy to a bag one trophy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement