Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Camcorders....HDD the way to go?

• 26-02-2006 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking into buying a digital camcorder lately. I knew pretty much nothing about them until friday when I called into a camera shop, and I was taken through one or two things. The guy told me that they have come on another two generations from cassette, that dvd came out and now hard-drives are on the way in. He said though that hdd camcorders are pretty new and I might be better holding off until they become more mainstream. Anyone recommend a good digital camcorder? And a good editing program to buy with it?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd say mini DV is still your best bet.

You can get a firewire card for your computer for about €25 or so and you'll be able to stream footage directly from your camera to the computer. Something like Pinnacle is nice little editing package that is easy to use for beginners, and it's very affordable too.

Of course if you have a Mac, the chances are it already has firewire and iMovie on it.

The only thing to watch out for then is if you want to got with a 1 chip or 3 chip camera. 3 Chip cameras would be more down the prosumer end of things.

If you're just starting out and want to cut your teeth with some editing the I'd recomend just picking up a Sony Mini DV camcorder.. should only be around €500 for a fairly decent one and you'll get great quality out of it and if you find yourself getting into it invest in a more expensive camera futher along the line and maybe try out Adobe Premiere for editing.

I'm more of a Mac person myself... so others might be better able to advise you on PC software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yep don't have a Mac, but thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 all the way for me.

Advertisement