Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are Jap imports cheaper?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

lomb wrote:
    I remember seeing that BBC documentary in 2001 - it was mainly about dodgy cars coming to the UK via Dubai, and it was mainly big SUVs and supercars, not Nissan Marches and Corollas like the majority of imports here. I can only hope something's been done about the stuff going through Dubai since then.

I'd be a bit weary about some of the imports I've seen with missing badges, or the wrong badges stuck on them - especially Toyota Harriers/Altezzas/Celsiors/Aristos with Lexus badges stuck on them - it's like they're trying hide something about the car's identity (or they've been in a rear-ender). Though that's still a minority - I also see loads of imports which still have the Japanese dealer stickers, parking discs (those circular blue/white ones on the back window), tax discs and shaken (=NCT) discs on them, and sometimes even random stuff like fishing club stickers...

I also hear some people import Japanese spec cars from Indonesia - dunno much about the matter though, or how dodgy they could be.

I've heard from several people about second-hand stuff in Japan being worth feck-all too.

And I was of the opinion that modern ECUs on Japanese sports cars could take different octane levels no probs? Heard it from a friend of a friend of a R33 Skyline GTS owner - could be complete bollox though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Any decent sites for imports here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I think why all the imported toyotas are badged Lexus is a Irish Class culture thing. These "upwardly mobile" people dont want to be seen driving a toyota.

Apparently it is illegal to sell a car secondhand in japan on the side of the road like is being done over here. The NCT is very expensive. The most popular cars on the streets of Tokyo are Toyotas and Nissans, usually types we dont sell here, such as Crowns, Fugas, many small Hondas, Subarus and Daihatsus. I dont think its just japanese made cars are imported here, its also possible to purchase European or American cars over there too such as Volkswagen polos, Opel Astras, Volvo, mercedes (most of these are LHD) and BMWs.

Advertisement