Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get around the NCT ?

Options
  • 26-02-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

After buying a new car and have been doing some modifications to it. I’ve put a set of alloys on it and a exhaust, and the body kit is on the way. And was thinking of taking it from a 1.3 to a 1.6 vtec. If I do this will they put the new engine size down in the NCT, if I don’t tell them. And what can I do to my car before they will stop it from passing the NCT.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Your exhaust is illegal as it is not standard.

Your insurance (if you have any) will be invalid if you change your engine size.

I presume by your attitude that your wheels will be oversized too and not allow a full turn, both dangerous and illegal.

You should not be on the road with your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Chief--- wrote:

Your insurance (if you have any) will be invalid if you change your engine size.

I presume by your attitude that your wheels will be oversized too and not allow a full turn, both dangerous and illegal.

STFU there grandad and back to bed with ya.

Your exhaust loudness will not fail you an NCT - Your emissions will, and your backbox has nothing to do with your emissions. You should be fine once you havent removed the cat

Changing your engine will prob fail your NCT as the emissions will be different. You can't just go up to them on the day, with them expecting to test a 1.3 and say "Alright boss actually she's a 1.6 VTEC so just ignore the emissions there cheers" ... They'll just tell you to fup off

Your wheels must be able to lock fully both ways and not rub off your arch.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Chief--- wrote:

Exactly where is the OP displaying any sort of attitude? And you're wrong by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I have to agree, sorry Chief I think you are in the wrong here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

R_punto wrote:
    After buying a new car and have been doing some modifications to it. I’ve put a set of alloys on it and a exhaust, and the body kit is on the way. And was thinking of taking it from a 1.3 to a 1.6 vtec. If I do this will they put the new engine size down in the NCT, if I don’t tell them. And what can I do to my car before they will stop it from passing the NCT.

Putting on an aftermarket exhaust is fine, once it's not overly loud.

However, putting in a bigger engine without telling your insurance will render it null and void and could leave you with a hefty fine/ban/points etc, or made an example of, which can be alot more serious.

Bodykit's fine, as long as it is ok to go down the ramp (I have H&R fully adj coilovers on mine so raised her up a bit to go down there). Wheel sizes, as JC Said, if it rubs when on full lock, it'll pass, although I have a bit of arch work with 18s on my Ibiza, it has a slight rub on full lock, but thats since sorted.

As for cars with exhaust failing nct, it's BS - I have a 4.5" APC lightweight Titanium backbox on my car and passed. As with a BMW E36 325i I've had with a twin AC Shnitzer exhaust system..

edit... what makes you say he shouldn't be on the road? if he does document his engine conversion and have the neccesary engine/brake upgrades assessor come and check his conversion, then all grand..

Do engine conversions offend you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Alot of people take offense to engine conversions because they automatically assume that the insurance company isn't being told.

I take it that this is a honda civic? If you are going to do an engine swap then I suggest you get SIR2/VTI suspension/brake systems while your at it.

If he changes his exhaust to make it "louder" it may well pass the NCT, but it will still be an offence under the road traffic act, and illegal.

I took it from his original post that he was going to increase the size of his engine without informing his insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Chief--- wrote:
    If he changes his exhaust to make it "louder" it may well pass the NCT, but it will still be an offence under the road traffic act, and illegal.

The law pertaining to the exhaust on your car is completely open to interpretation as it makes use of the word 'modify' rather than 'replace'. While it says you're not allowed modify your existing exhaust to make it louder, it doesn't say anywhere that you're not allowed replace your exhaust. And while that may seem to be just symantics, when it comes to law its more than enough scope for any barrister to clear someone who's hauled up in court for the offence.

kdevitt wrote:
    The law pertaining to the exhaust on your car is completely open to interpretation as it makes use of the word 'modify' rather than 'replace'. While it says you're not allowed modify your existing exhaust to make it louder, it doesn't say anywhere that you're not allowed replace your exhaust. And while that may seem to be just symantics, when it comes to law its more than enough scope for any barrister to clear someone who's hauled up in court for the offence.

29. (1) Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall, subject to the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, be fitted with an exhaust silencer or other device suitable and sufficient for reducing to a reasonable level the noise caused by the escape of exhaust gases from the engine.

"Reasonable level" would be decided by a Judge. He would probably compare it to his car :confused:

Fact of the matter is loud exhausts cause great annoyance to those living in residential areas, regularly you get people who like to redline their "puntos" and "corsa's" with "modified exhaust" in certain areas. God knows why.

Convictions are bing upheld daily in district courts around the country. Although fines only range in the 50-200 euro mark.

Chief--- wrote:
    29. (1) Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall, subject to the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, be fitted with an exhaust silencer or other device suitable and sufficient for reducing to a reasonable level the noise caused by the escape of exhaust gases from the engine.

"Reasonable level" would be decided by a Judge. He would probably compare it to his car :confused:

Fact of the matter is loud exhausts cause great annoyance to those living in residential areas, regularly you get people who like to redline their "puntos" and "corsa's" with "modified exhaust" in certain areas. God knows why.

Convictions are bing upheld daily in district courts around the country. Although fines only range in the 50-200 euro mark.

You don't need to tell me about loud exhausts causing an annoyance - some **** in his Saxo sets off my neighbours car alarm every time he drives by. Thats when he and his scumbag mates aren't getting the arse of their cars out when pulling up outside their apartment - really great entertainment in a residential cul de sac :mad:

However, the law is extremely flaky with regard to exhausts - I would imagine any convictions being upheld are more than likely due to people not having representation. I'm all on for a maximum sound level being imposed by the way. It would mean that the Gardai could accurate measure these levels at the side of the road, rather than going on a hunch.

• Advertisement

I dont think theres any doubt in our minds about who they target... Types like you have mentioned.

Also those who chose do laps through the main streets of citys at night, somewhat advertising their illegal modifications.

the likes of this complete eejit http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50925393&postcount=1

Chief--- wrote:

somewhat advertising their illegal modifications.

Go in depth about 'modifications' you render Illigal.

I suppose importing a GTR skyline with an optional extra HKS exhaust system would be illigal to? Or is that allowed because its an expensive, performance car? so we'll forget about the noise and praise it because it's an icon?

Then you've your avarage joe soap, into his cars as a hobby, and likes to tell likeminded people about his upgrades/performance modifications etc, drives an SiR II Civic, who tunes his engine, and puts on a Spoon sports exhaust, with a DC Sport manifold. He puts a kit on, and fits some lightweight 16" alloys and a few carbon fiber body bits.

Would he be an annoyance? If you say yes, then your an idiot and have no understanding od what modifiers are all about, and generally are an annoyence to society in which gives genuinely interested people a bad name.

If you say no, he isn't an annoyence, he works hard for his hobby, spends his money on what he enjoys, doesnt do drugs/drink, go out, etc. Puts all his time and effort into it, and shows at the end of the day to likeminded people his hard graft and whats paid off, fair play to him. Then you'd have a decent understanding.

The only thing I'm seeing that your right about, is NisMo's post about wanting a loud exhaust plainly for annoyence.

Progen wrote:
    Go in depth about 'modifications' you render Illigal.

I suppose importing a GTR skyline with an optional extra HKS exhaust system would be illigal to? Or is that allowed because its an expensive, performance car? so we'll forget about the noise and praise it because it's an icon?

Then you've your avarage joe soap, into his cars as a hobby, and likes to tell likeminded people about his upgrades/performance modifications etc, drives an SiR II Civic, who tunes his engine, and puts on a Spoon sports exhaust, with a DC Sport manifold. He puts a kit on, and fits some lightweight 16" alloys and a few carbon fiber body bits.

Would he be an annoyance? If you say yes, then your an idiot and have no understanding od what modifiers are all about, and generally are an annoyence to society in which gives genuinely interested people a bad name.

If you say no, he isn't an annoyence, he works hard for his hobby, spends his money on what he enjoys, doesnt do drugs/drink, go out, etc. Puts all his time and effort into it, and shows at the end of the day to likeminded people his hard graft and whats paid off, fair play to him. Then you'd have a decent understanding.

The only thing I'm seeing that your right about, is NisMo's post about wanting a loud exhaust plainly for annoyence.

I think you know who the people are who annoy both myself and "car modifyers"

These arent the people driving skylines or m3 evo's. They are the people who act the maggot in their low end "puntos" and "coras's" People who drive skylines and m3 evo's dont go around redlining their cars in public areas.

Everything about your SiR II Civic was grand until you added the "Spoon sports exhaust, with a DC Sport manifold"

I presume it is "sports" as it increases the sound and general output of the engine, which indicates it should be used for a track use only. Most sports bike exhausts have written on them "for track use only". Why would you want to drive around a public/residential area creating an increased noise. It only causes annoyance for people sleeping, trying to get children to sleep etc etc.

Chief--- wrote:
    Everything about your SiR II Civic was grand until you added the "Spoon sports exhaust, with a DC Sport manifold"

I presume it is "sports" as it increases the sound and general output of the engine, which indicates it should be used for a track use only. Most sports bike exhausts have written on them "for track use only"

Spoon Sports (Japanese) is the name of the company that make it, as is DC Sports (American) - they're both street legal parts as far as I'm aware, and are both high end manufacturers (well Spoon are, alot of people would say theres no such thing as a high end US manufacturer)

Agreed otherwise though. I personally have no major gripe with a car that louder than normal because its been tuned, its ****e universal backboxes that do nothing except create noise that bug me, especially when combined with a 1.3 litre engine. And having been in contact with the companies that export them at one stage, with a view to selling stuff myself , I can assure you they're the cheapest pieces of crap you can buy (how's about $15 for a Universal Jap style backbox)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Just thought i would ask a question about the NCT in here instead of starting a new thread.........

Are neon lights under a car illegal for the NCT???
    I know they are illegal to be on when driving around but just wondering if its actually illegal to have them on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just thought i would ask a question about the NCT in here instead of starting a new thread.........

Are neon lights under a car illegal for the NCT???
    I know they are illegal to be on when driving around but just wondering if its actually illegal to have them on the car

no but in saying that if they cover brake cables and lines some centres will fail the car.

here's the Inspection list

1.Brakes
    Service Brake Pedal
    Service Brake Operation (Inspection inside the Vehicle)
    Mechanical Brake Hand Lever
    Service Brake Performance
    Service Brake Imbalance
    Parking Brake Performance
    Parking Brake Imbalance
    Brake Fluid
    Brake Lines / Hoses
    Brake Wheel Units
    Mechanical Brake Components
    Master Cylinders / Servo / Valves / Connections

2.Exhaust Emission
    Exhaust Smoke (Diesel)
    Exhaust CO/HC/Lambda
    Exhaust System / Noise

3.Wheels & Tyres
    Tyre Condition
    Tyre Specification
    Tyre Tread
    Wheels
    Spare Wheel and Carrier
    Wheel Bearings

4.Light
    Stop Lamps
    Rear Lamps and Registration Plate Lamps
    Indicators / Tell Tales
    Side Lamps
    Headlamp Condition
    Headlamp Aim
    Aux Lamp Condition
    Aux Lamp Aim
    Reflectors

5.Steering & Suspension
    Steering Wheel Play
    Front Wheel Side Slip
    Rear Wheel Side Slip
    Front Axle Suspension Performance
    Rear Axle Suspension Performance
    Steering Linkage
    Front Springs
    Front Suspension
    Shock Absorber Condition
    Rear Suspension
    Rear Springs

6.Chassis & Underbody
    Doors, Locks and Anti-theft devices
    Bodywork
    Chassis / Underbody

7.Electric
    Hom
    Electrical System

8.Glass & Mirrors
    Windscreen Wipers and Washers
    Glass
    Rear View Mirror(s)
    Sunstrip

9.Transmission
    Transmission

10.Interior
    Seats
    Speedometer
    Safety Belts

11.Fuel
    Fuel System

12.Miscellaneous
    Registration Plates
    Adaptations for disabled drivers
    Towing Bracket / Coupling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

R_punto wrote:
    And was thinking of taking it from a 1.3 to a 1.6 vtec. If I do this will they put the new engine size down in the NCT, if I don’t tell them.

Sheesh! Not admiting to a material change in the mechancial spec of your car will render your cover null and void. No-one should have to point that out.

John Cleary please do not tell Chief to Shut the fvck up.

Mike.

Just a quick adition, if you do end up putting in a bigger engine, you *will* need an assessor to check the work carried out, and if you havn't upgraded the brakes, you'll have to fork out another 200odd euro to have the assesor come back to check it all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 R_punto

Thanks for all the help. Will be getting the brakes done on the car as well.

And to Chief I hold a full license and have done the advanced driving test with my insurance company. I just don’t think you get the hole modifying thing at all. My car is kept clean, and serviced regularly. I’m not one of those people who fix their car out of necessity, just to keep it running. Most modified car divers enjoy working on there cars to give their own individual touch. (engine and bodywork) It sound like you have some appreciation for cars though.But like them as they are. BLAND. And if you cant understand why we give our cars each our own individual touch you just don’t get modified car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The nct is and will come into affect that any part body or engine deliberated modified will be deemed to fail a test other than work as to the repair and upkeep of the vehicle.
    I was into the mod scene a while back but just ran out of spare time. I would like to ask R Punto a question if I may. From what I have read in your original thread you seemed to want to hide things from the nct testers which leads me to believe you had no intention of informing your insurance company about your plan to increase your engine size. Now if you want to state to me that you had this very intention and finance was not a problem with the increase in insurance costs then why did you not just buy a car with the engine performance you wanted from the start?
    This is not meant to provoke, just my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Ginger83 wrote:
    The nct is and will come into affect that any part body or engine deliberated modified will be deemed to fail a test other than work as to the repair and upkeep of the vehicle.

I've had three cars which I drive regularly (none of which are mine, all of which I was insured on) pass the NCT in the last three months which had full bodykits inc. skirts and arches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

love to get the car tested where you get yours done mate!
    I brought the womans in at the beginning of february, its not modified as such, small things, alloys etc. Had to return time after time, broke me heart- down to staying out in the cold for over an hour one night with a hairdrier trying to get a visor off the front window. You cannot try to argue with these guys, I was presented with a new list of conditions pass-fail (and its not looking good for the mod scene)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I found a way to get round the nct.....

Wait for it.....

Are you ready.....

I'm such a genius......

DON'T BUY A CAR! :D

Advertisement