Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What exactly classifies as a 'Modification'

Options
  • 26-02-2006 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

When the insurance company asks has your car been modified in any way I usually think of big body kits, big stereos and big wheels and I inevitably always tell them 'no'.
    Thinking about it though, the through definition of modified for a car is anything other than the manufacturers original specification.
    So most cars past 2 years old would be technically modified then! Whether it be when you replaced the worn out silencer with a spurious one, changed from bridgestone to goodyear or replaced the old worn out tape deck with a new cd player even using a non-oem oil filter at oil changes!
    What should the insurance company be informed of when it comes to these modificattions as I'm sure they'd laugh at me if I listed every minor change my vehicle has bee through since it left the factory in Japan!
    For example I have changed my wheels (standard steel whels to same size alloys keeing same tyre profile) does the insurance company care about this other than what is taken into account in the overall value of the car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

For example I have changed my wheels (standard steel whels to same size alloys keeing same tyre profile) does the insurance company care about this other than what is taken into account in the overall value of the car?

I have often added alloys which may have been 1 inch bigger (adjusted profile accordingly) and informed insurance company. Never had any problems or extra penalties etc.

The value of your car is really not that important to insurance companies. It's the potential damage that you could do to a third person which is crucial. Personal injury claims are usually many times greater than the costs to repair or replace a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone i know with a modded car(and there's lots of em) have declared the said mod's to there companies and not one of them has seen there premium rise or change,myself included.The company may ask for an engineers report but from what i can make out when i recieved one was that they were only intrested in knowing had the engine been changed to one of a bigger displacement.

Advertisement