Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC spec for gaming budget 1600 euro

Options
  • 26-02-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all I'm buying a new PC on Komplett.I'm looking at the Komplett AMD Athlon 64 PCI Express.This Machine is priced at 1200 euro http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.asp?sku=10090 I have about 1600 to spend and I'm going to soup it up a little.I play first person shooters so I will need some grunt for Fear etc so any Ideas please.This is what I have come up with.

BenQ 19" LCD T905 TCO99 Monitor
    MSI K8N SLI-FI, nForce4 SLI, Socket-939,
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA2
    APLUS Case iQ-eye, Silver, LCD Panel,
    AKASA Powersupply ATX/EPS 12V 550W
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Dual Pack
    PowerColor Radeon X800GT EVO 256MB GDDR3
    Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

sexy rig there. you could spend some extra cash on RAM i guess... and a soundcard/speakers

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

First of all dont buy a premade PC from komplett, buy the parts and build it, or get a friend to build it, its much more sattisfying to build it yourself and you will learn alot.

here is what i would get with the money:

https://www.komplett.ie/k/cart.asp?mode=share&ShoppingListId=327061

It comes to 1282 euro and you can get the moonitor with the remaining money.

I hope that helped;)

P.s you wil lsave money if you buy the graphics card and PSU from OcUk

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Just got a new sound card recently so I dont need one.I was thinking 1gig of ram would be grand for the moment. I can upgrade when it's needed.I don't think any games need 2 gigs of ram yet?
    Conzy can't get that link to work u will need to copy and paste out of your shopping cart like I did.I built a PC before and being a lazy f****r I'm not going to bother this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Actually, in my opinion, you are mad to just buy parts to build your own PC, unless you really want to tinker at lot, when you could get an uber-pimped PC from the Dell Factory outlet for the same budget.

Building a PC involves several issues worth bearing in mind:

1) Unless you want to spend a lot of time doing this as a hobby, you may be forced to spend time just getting it to work.

2) Unless you have spare parts / bits, it might be hard to isolate something that isn't working properly

3) Dell offer a major knowledge base of intelligence behind their warranty, so everything is well tested, if something goes wrong, it's their responsibility to fix it.

For example, you could get this:

System Price EUR 919.08

Dell 9400 17inch Laptop:

Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    Memory: 1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
    Hard Disk Drive: 80GB (7, 200 rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Video: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce7800 Go graphics card, PCI-Express x16
    NoteBook Screen: 17
    Modem: Internal 56K Modem
    DVD Drive: 8X DVD+/-RW
    Software: Microsoft® Works® 7.0
    BT, AOL, Tiscali ISP Combination
    MISC: Photo Shop Photo Album (5.22) - trial version
    Paint Shop Picture Studio 1.01 - trial version
    UK/Ire - Internal Keyboard
    NO SNAP COVER OPTION
    6 cell Li-Ion 53WHr primary battery

With a 4 year onsite warranty from the factory outlet, for: EUR 1,343.93

Just been looking on Dell.ie I think I will stick with the desktop.What is a good dell speced machine and what is the story with the dell factory shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

turbot, don't try to compare an Athlon64 3700+ setup to a Dell laptop, if you wanna compare at all.

to the OP: if you're gonna be doing a lot of FPS playing, and have the budget, stretch to either an x800xl (€190) or 6800gt/gs (~€250)
    Might wanna consider Asus for mobo; Western Digital or Samsung for SATAII drives; and oh yeah, why not splash out on a G5 mouse? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

KO Kiki,

Actually, as far as I know, that particular dell laptop with a Nvidia 7800 Go card will thrash the graphics cards you're reccomending... and it's a laptop, with a built in 17inch screen.

Check out the factory outlet for yourself:

http://www.dell.ie/outlet

@turbot: You cannot compare a Dell Laptop to a Desktop gaming rig,

@JB123: Sorry about the link, here you go:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=327061&su=A47C4FCB-96EE-4397-9F3F-559F1E8F88A6

Its a great Pc, I really think you should build it, or get someone else to, maybe komplett have a service for building PCs...........

Like i said, have a look on www.overclockers.co.uk they have better prices on the PSU and 7800gt

Thanks for that Conzy nice system.I think I will build it myself.Was thinking of 2gb of ram do you think 1gb will be enough?That 7800GT looks good (20pipelines).It works out at 1600 including the 19 inch Benq Dvi 8ms monitor.What other stuff will i need to order such as fans cables etc.

I will be running a dual monitor set up with a 17 inch vga lcd as the second display will I need cables or adapters for this.Also I have an 80 gb IDE harddrive and a IDE DVD burner will these work with this system?
    Tanx Again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

legit operating system - -;)

• Advertisement

You will need to put 90 euro aside for XP home, or if you already have a license on your old PC that you are dismantaling, you can use that....

1 gig of ram is loads, some people have 2gb, but its not needed at the minute.......also alot of people say you need 2gb to run bf2 on full settings, I have 1 gig and I can run BF2 at 1200*1600 and 4x AA with everything on full, but mine is oced to 2.8ghz so i dont know what it would be like at stock.

by the way are you going to Overclock it???

If you are these parts will allow a very good overclock,

P.s the graphics card will come with dual DVI outpts, but they should include to adapters........

P.p.s I think you should get the Leadtek 7800gt from Overclockers.co.uk, it has ViVo (video in/out) and a great software bundle and overclocks great;)

Thanks conzy, I see that mother board has passive cooling.Should I get another Fan as that mother board will run hot and the case im getting has no fan ?I have built and overclocked an AMD system before so i might give it a go.Im just a bit rusty on hardware specs at mo.:confused:

*edit* That board does have a small fan on the chipset, and its not loud, its the premium version thats passive.....

*edit2* sorry for all the edits, the passive cooling you see is on the mosfets (voltage regulators) they are always passively cooled, some motherboards have no mosfet cooling at all.........

****************BREAKING NEWS:D *******************

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29931

Wait 2 weeks before you buy the PC or at least wait 2 weeks before you buy the Graphics card because the 7900gtx and its little brother, the 7900gt are coming out.

And the 7900gt has the same performance as a 7800gtx for $299 :eek: :eek:

So you will get just about flagship performance for around 300 euros;)

Going to order the Komplett Gamer this system comes prebuilt and tested with a 3 year warranty.with the following xtras
    Tagan 2force 480W, Dual Fan,
    Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024M
    Point of View GeForce 7800GTX 256MB DDR3
    Cooler Master Wave Master Silver
    Samsung 17" LCD Syncmaster 730BF TCO-99
    Asus A8N-E, nForce4 Ultra, Socket-939,
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA2

This comes to 1740 and is at the top end of my budget.Im not going to wait for the 7900.Also wont doing SLI so I ordered a cheaper mobo. Need this machine soon have been on a 500 p4 for a couple of weeks:mad:Can anybody see any bottlenecks in this system because im going to turning everything up:D

I replied to this in you're thread in the tweaking section

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The new pc im buying is a solid spec for 800 euro. Here is a sample

AMD 64bit 3700+
    Gigabyte mobo(cant member the model no.) but its dual core ready, sli ready, 4 ram slots etc etc Its a highly rated mobo.
    200GB 72,000 rpm HDD
    Crucial 1gig of RAM 400mhz(dual channel)
    Geforce 6800XT 256mb
    DVD rom cd rw
    DVD rw
    iCute case with blue neon light plus 3 blue led fans plus 2 more on rear
    550w power supply

All this for 800 euro, and getting another 6800xt to run on sli. Pretty much hte same specs aside for a few things, not that it pushes it to over the 1000 mark. If you want i can give you an msn address and you can discuss wit hthe guy what your looking for.

These days with 1600 you can get a very good spec pc, very good. For example with 1600 euro, you could that machine above and eprhaps two 6800gt sli or maybe even 7800's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I wouldn't get a pc for gaming unless it had at least 2048gb of RAM!

Most games today require at least 1024 to play them smoothly! But take F.E.A.R for example where I would suggest you would need 2048gb.

You would only have to upgrade shortly anyway if you didn't!

I have a X800Pro video card and I had to lower the settings on FEAR to get it to run properly with only 1024gb of RAM!

Also, I wouldn't get an LCD screen! They are pure crap for gaming! Too much ghosting. Get a quality CRT monitor!

Dell do a really good gaming pc, check it out!

Just Ordered can get more ram if needed.Thanks 4 the replies heres what i got
    Iv Ordered the following with gls postage did I forget anything?1640 inc delivery.
    :D
    309484 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
    - 1MB, BOXED w/fan

305190 Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI, Socket
    - -939,S-ATA,Dual-GbLAN,Firewire,PCI-Ex16

309573 Crucial PC3200 BallistiX DDR 1024MB CL2
    - Kit w/two matched,2.8V,64Meg x 64,184pin

316373 Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA2
    - 16MB 7200RPM

315784 POINT OF VIEW GeForce 7800GT 256MB,
    - PCI-Express, VIVO, DVI, Retail

311653 Tagan Easycon 580W, Modular Cables, 120m
    - Fan, 4xSATA, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin

121276 Cooler Master Wave Master Silver
    - Aluminium (Without PSU)

318071 BenQ 17" LCD FP71GX Monitor, DVI,
    - 8ms (4ms GTG), 500:1, Silver/Black

313486 Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2
    - Software English OEM

317429 Antistatic Wrist band Blue
    - including ground cord

314390 AKASA Silver Based Thermal Compound 5g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wacked

I wouldn't get a pc for gaming unless it had at least 2048gb of RAM!

I agree but for a different reason. I play a lot of BF2 online and I am always one of the first to spawn on each map. This allows you to get the planes , tanks etc. Ram plays a big factor in map load speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Wacked wrote:
    I agree but for a different reason. I play a lot of BF2 online and I am always one of the first to spawn on each map. This allows you to get the planes , tanks etc. Ram plays a big factor in map load speeds.

indeed, but bf2 is the only game atm who requires such epic numbers of ram.

• Advertisement

I do like a game of bf2 online so maybe ill upgrade to 2 gigs in a bit.just had to cut a few corners.The wife would have my balls on a plate if I spent any more money on this machine.Should be delivered mon/tue get ready 4 a new tread my "pc wont start" lol.In the mean time it's 500mhz p3 power 4 me:mad:

Dell do a really good gaming pc, check it out!

LOL:D

Anyway, 1gb is loads at the minute, and its a fast HDD that loads maps quicker in BF2.

I can play it with everything on max and 4* AA at 1280*1024 at 60fps according to Fraps, and that will increase when I Oc my card to 500/600 with my new cooler and i will be able to play at 1600*1200, maybe:D

And 6800gt SLI would cost more than a 7800gt and be marginally better if not the same in most games.

New rig is up and running :D:D .Tanx for the help guys.It's a beast can run all games with the settings on full:D.Call of duty looks great might give unreal 2004 a go tomorrow night.Had a harddrive fail to boot the the other nite turned out to be a loose cable.;)
    I am getting an error when shutting down explorer.exe fails to shut down?Also on start up I keep getting a raid utility asking to set up.I have diabled raid in the BIOS any ideas?
    Over the weekend im going to bench mark again I only 5700 in 3d mark 2005 all told im happy with my PC.I have to say it was wasn't easy to bulid but I know it's as future proof as a PC gets.

Advertisement