Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Cat

Options
  • 26-02-2006 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so since he got the snip he became very placid and would only lounge around and eat.
    He got very fat very fast so we put him on 'special' food but it's not really working.

How can we incourage activity, exercise and what not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Had this with my mog, took him ages to adjust to new lifestyle, He eventually learned how play again, (keep teasing/playing/rewarding etc) after initial weightgain/lazinesess he's back to being nutty moggy n sleek puss again. Takes a bit of time & work but definitly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I've been trying to get him playful again but he's so placid he just doesn't seem arsed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

How long has it been since the operation? With mine it was about 3mths before he began to show any interest in anything except sleeping. He got real p*ss*d off at me trying to play with him before he actually started to enjoy it again. You gotta just keep at it, try anything you can think of, I used to gently tug on his ears/paws/tail whatever just to get a reaction from him, eventually it worked. Try scratching his belly I got a scar on my hand from that one. Our boy hates if you blow in his face, do whatever you can to get him moving again but give him time to recover first, also be aware that he may not like going outdoors as much because the checking out the ladies/fighting spirit is now gone so he will be a lot more quiet but he can learn how to be just as playfull as before. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

What's the 'special' food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

There is special diet cat food with reduced calory intake available, I think Royal Canin do those. Usually available from vets and some pet stores.

• Advertisement

The special food is called 'Hill's science plan'.

I've been trying the playful approach and he's taking to it decently enough, I have only a few scratches.
    Also, the good weather seems to make him more eager to get outside...or else he's just runnign to the neighbours for a good feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cats are like us with the weather, just couldn't be bothered too cold lol. He'll liven up once the sun shines, although if worried that he out of sorts take a trip to the vets, cats in general sleep a lot, neutering is usually done about 6 months and dogs and cats seem to change a bit around that age as they grow so it's probably not to do with the neutering itself.
    All the cats up home are glued to the radiators and cat beds by the fire, don't blame 'em brrrr:rolleyes:

I get what you mean about the weather but it's difficult to put it down to that since his sister is, and always has been mad for going outside and having a run around.
    Sure I'll wait till summer and decide then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My inlaws cat is very fat, shes an outdoor cat and eats all the dogs food! Cats put on weight in the winter I have heard..but maybe thats just outdoor cats. We bring ours for walks alot with a nice comfortable harness, of course the weather is not that good lately, but looking forward to bringing her out in the summer.
    You can get lots of different types of cat food but the special ones can get expensive. Best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Get him some catnip spray or better still, the real stuff from the petstore.

Spray (put) some just *barely* out of reach, and the tiniest bit on the floor first to get his attention, his efforts to get it will give him loads of excercise and energy.

(Catnip is like Kitty cocaine, ours used to go beserk when they got some, kept em running about the house for 30 mins at a time in complete bliss, and is hilarious to watch them revert back to being kittens again! ) :D

• Advertisement

Not to worry, he died the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Oh god that's awful! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

still open for the takeaway:eek:

and remind me never to get the snip

Advertisement