Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cover Bands

Options
  • 26-02-2006 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

does anyone know of/play in any good tribute bands around Dublin? i know a mate of mine saw a Tool tribute called "The Grudge" recently, i'll have to find them n check em out. but yeah, if you know of any good metal/rock bands round Dublin, do post!

DISCLAIMERDEELIE: i didnt put this in Bands/Musicians, coz thats pretty much just musicians forming bands, advertising availability, requesting other musicians, etc, but if a mod deems that this belongs there (or anywhere else), i cant complain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Big Generator and Blue Moose are far and away the two best covers bands I've seen over here pretty much ever. Both of them play in The Big Tree in Drumcondra every so often but outside that I don't know where else they play in the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Arucard, The Grudge are usually great. You're right, you should check them out! :D

Are you looking for people to tell you about gigs in the near future, or just bands who have been known to play in Dublin in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

bands that are likely to be playing, and who they cover. im a huge Tool fan, often toyed with the idea of forming a cover band at some point myself. that or a Carcass tribute :D
    any word on how often they play? or if they have a site? i shall look....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

They're playing fairly regularly at the moment, so they're bound to be in Dublin at some point. Just watch out for flyers, etc. Afaik they don't have a site unfortunately.

Also watch out for Metallitia, excellent Metallica cover band (as if you couldn't guess).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

ive seen Metallitia twice, very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Thin as lizzy are pretty good too,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Thin as Lizzy are excellent I must say. Dont know if they are still playin though

It was new years eve last time I saw them. I remember being very drunk talking to flash outside after the gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It was new years eve last time I saw them. I remember being very drunk talking to flash outside after the gig...

is that guy in a heap of tribute bands?

erin maiden are pretty good to, obviously a tribute to iron maiden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Always wanted to set up a tribute to The Who for the laugh and call it The What?;) Stairway To Zeppelin are pretty cool....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭christopher

i play in a Metallica tribute called Frantica... not to sound up our own arse or anything but we're pretty good...

Yeah but are you as good as metallicia.....?

i don't usually like to go out on a limb, but i'm feeling brave.

yeah, we are.

yeah, we are.

:) When you playing next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

yeah, we are.

Thats a brave statment indeed, mettalicia are a class act

well, if i dont think we're good, what's the point in carrying on, eh?

no gigs lined up at present, but we're working on it. i usually post details on the gigs forum, so keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

there is us.. Bulls On Parade. www.myspace.com/bullsonparaderock has some music on it. more on the way...

www.bullsonparaderock.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

there is us.. Bulls On Parade. www.myspace.com/bullsonparaderock has some music on it. more on the way...

The live mp3 is pretty impressive.Your website seems to be down though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rich metallitia

hi there.

kudos on the rival metallica band.. hope to catch ya live sometime

Thin Az Lizzy are still gigging, but its more like one weekend every few months
    still one of my fave tributes

we have a new webpage

http://www.metallitia.com

mp3's on it and such.
    the mp3's are with the old drummer. our new drummer is probably one of the best metal drummers in the country, mr Johnny kerr of scavenger fame,
    and yes dyers eve is now in the set.

cheers for reading

Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Vocalist is great (can't fault him) - guitar is wrong for the chorus and solo is poor, drummer is slightly off time but not too bad, bassist is a bit sloppy - other than that, not bad at all. Needs to be tighter overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

hi there.

kudos on the rival metallica band.. hope to catch ya live sometime

we have a new webpage

http://www.metallitia.com

mp3's on it and such.
    the mp3's are with the old drummer. our new drummer is probably one of the best metal drummers in the country, mr Johnny kerr of scavenger fame,
    and yes dyers eve is now in the set.

cheers for reading

Richie
    No chance of getting you to the Milestone again ye big jessy?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

No chance of getting you to the Milestone again ye big jessy?:D

aye...I remember seein them in the milestone myself, wwas a crackin good gig!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

The OP wrote:
    Vocalist is great (can't fault him) - guitar is wrong for the chorus and solo is poor, drummer is slightly off time but not too bad, bassist is a bit sloppy - other than that, not bad at all. Needs to be tighter overall.

thanks. I definately agree that it's not as tight as it should be. don't get as much practise in these days as we should. we're lucky if we can manage one for a gig. we all live anywhere between Dun Laoghaire and Carlingford (north of Dundalk) In the summer we'll all be back from college etc.. so we'll leave it til then before we play again. practise makes perfect. Oh, and I don't think the solo in that recording is that bad. It's not like morello plays the same solos all the time anyway and they're not always amazing...

I'll try and get some more recordings up if I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rich metallitia

would love to do the milestone again, I've upgraded the pa. poor auld jimmy's wig would fall right off with the racket we can now make, and seeing as it is my home town its always a laugh

wow, i had images of a war of words starting there!

granted, we're still quite new, we havent even been together for a year yet, but we've played 4 gigs, and have 4 lined up in the next 6 weeks, and we've been getting better with every gig...

if you wanna check us out:

april 11th: UCD Student's Bar, doors 8, admission 5 euro
    april 15th: Katie Gallagher's, Bray, doors 8.30, admission 5 euro
    april 28th (TBC): Fibber Magee's, gig starts at midnight, admission TBC

and, for the record, I saw Metallitia in the TBMC last april/may, and they kicked ass. i'd recommend everyone to check them out (too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lynchy-b

Yeah Thin Az Lizzy are still playin'. They played the Quays pub in Galway last week. Supposingly a great show. My cos was at it! Great guitarists. i saw a few video clips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lynchy-b

Oh another thing. Has any one heard of Glyder?? They arent a tribute band but they played the Vibe for Philo in Dublin. Played some lizzy songs. They have a new album out, and im telling you lads. They are feckin Class!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Only seen Metallitia once, in the Milestone, but they were the real deal. No questioning their musicianship and aunthenticity. Professional & really a quality act.

There are so many good bands out there now. I add my recommendation for Blue Moose - saw them in The Big Tree once after the drummer, singer & guitarist from my band saw them in Tullamore. We all went along this night and were blown away both at how good they sounded and how dynamic the main singer was - a really good "frontman".

The power curiously died right in the middle of when he had the (chocca) crowd roaring with him: "F*!k You, I Won't Do What You Tell Me!" Management not too pleased with the agression being displayed, no doubt. But the singer got up on the balustrade at the front of the stage and kept the "F*!k You . . ." going without music for AGES. It really was a great moment.

IIRC, the drummer wasn't amazing. IMO, he didn't seem to know the style of the songs. He knew and had learned them, but didn't play them in the original styles. His own style seemed to be a bit lighter & jazzier or something.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 70talbot

any recommendations for bands still knocking about now? (was reading thru with great interest before copping i'd googled up an old post! ^^)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

if its tribute bands ye be looking for, visit sham rock music festival yarrr!
    looks good enough.

Advertisement