Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating area for tiling etc

Options
  • 26-02-2006 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

First off - sorry if this has already been covered

I'm starting to look at pricing tiles etc for a new house and I just want to check the correct way to calculate the area of floors, bathrooms etc. I know I did it going to school, but haven't done anything like that for years, so just looking for some refresher tips.

Example - my kitchen floor is 14ft 6 inches x 20ft 6 inches - my memory tells me that one x the other gives me my square feet area, but how do I convert to square yards? or would I be better off to go with metres? The tile shops I've been in so far seem to price by sq yards.

Then for my bathroom walls, do I simply calculate the area of each wall and add them together?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

Hi Chuckles. Your memory serves you correctly. Length x width = Area.

And yes, you're right to add up the area of the walls to get the overall total. However, you also need to add in a bit extra to allow for breakages, tiles that have to be cut etc. Now don't think for one second that I know anything else about tiles 'cos you'd be very much mistaken if you did!

I find the metric system easier to use but I've found that a lot of tile shops and tilers use the imperial system.

Here's a conversion table that you could use.
    http://www.thetipsbank.com/convert.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

there's 3 ft in a yard so...

14'6 x 20'6
    = 4.8x6.8 yds = 33 sq yds

1 sq yard is .84 sq mts

33x0.84= 28 sq mtrs:D

OR just bring your linear measurements to the tile shop - they'll do the sums.
    They will automatically add 15% for "wastage" unless you tell them not to:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

thanks chocolate & charlesanto - I just wanted to be as informed as I could be so that I will have some idea what I'm talking about when I go in pricing stuff. I know a friend of mine finished up with boxes of spare tiles last year after doing her house and none of the shops wanted to take them back, so I would prefer not to go down that road as I'd prefer to have the money than left over tiles that may never get used.

Advertisement