Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help setting up game server

Options
  • 26-02-2006 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭

I'm a PC buff, but I'm not so great with networks :( Ok, heres my problem.

I'm on Esat BT Broadband and I'm using a router they supplied, the ZyXEL Prestige 600. I am connected using USB as my PC doesn't have a network card.

I've noticed that I'm unable to do certain things with the ZyXEL such as use Bittorrents, run a game server, share files over P2P etc.

Specifically, I'm trying to run a Multiplayer server for a game called Deus Ex.

Now, I read that you can do something called "Port Forwarding" and indeed there is a website www.portforwarding.com that gives tutorials on how to set something like that up.

It didn't work and there doesn't seem to be much else I can do, so I decided to buy an Internal PCI ADSL modem, it worked, made a direct connection to the Internet bypassing all those problems, but was frightening unstable and fell over itself every 20-50 min and tech support told me to take it back for exchange, which I did, only the new one is doing the exact same thing :mad:

So now I'm back using BTs ZyXEL and again, no joy on the server front, I'm using it becuase unlike the internal modems, it's reliable and doesn't fall over itself all the time.

Can anyone help me? Did anyone else try to run some kind of service from behind one of these routers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

portforward has the guide maybe its not exactly how your screen looks in admin so can be confusing.

Another easy way to do this (you will need a software firewall) is to uninstall the router, reboot and when asked to installed new hardware, click Advanced browse directly to the drivers on the cd (you must do this part dont let it auto install).

Then when installed (do not run the BT cd only for the drivers above) go to Network Connections and Create New Connection, Connect to the Internet,Setup My Connection Manually, Broadband with Pass and userrname, then enter them (the ones you got off BT). Click Finish.

Now you should have a connection in Start Connect to and the connection you just made is there.

What you have done is setup the Zyxel as only a modem not a router, so you have no port issues whatsover so need a software firewall (Xps built in one is fine). Now you can access any port or game without any issue.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭SeanW

Thanks KdjaC I'll definately try that about turning the thing into a modem rathar than a router

actually portforwarding was bang on the money and I did what they said - it just didnt give me the results I wanted.

McAffee Personal Firewall Express is a deadly piece of software so it should provide the security I need, it did very well during my dial up days :)

Aaaaargh :( that failed too :mad:

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling like you said, but the old installation couldn't be killed completely and the reinstallations were automatic, I never got that screen. In the process of trying to sort it all out, I banjaxed the whole thing.

I tried making a direct connection, but whenever I did that it said the remote computer could not be reached or (in other cases) didn't respond.

I reinstalled Windows (which WAY was overdue anyway) hoping a clean reinstall would help. It didn't, even though I made a clean, advanced install as per your instructions, back online, but throught the USB LAN :( Sometimes I think my computer is out to get me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Sean,

I haven't used "McAffee Personal Firewall Express", but have you considered the possibility that it's the one blocking the incomming connections?

Zab.

Ruled it out, it doesn't matter whether MPF Express is running or not. The things I'm trying, only work when I have a direct connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Direct connection obviously is the easiest way to go about it but your pc doesnt seem to like it.

What ports does Deus Ex run on? Afaik that was a gamespy game so theres always a port they foret to tell you about for the Gayspy master server to see.

kdjac

I have all the port information here.

I tried opening all those ports/ports ranges, then I tried forwarding ALL ports but the best I can get is to have my IP address showing up in the Master list.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that I can't control this router, and it's one of the few AFAIK not to have any DMZ capabilities.

If what you say about reinstalling a ZyXEL as a modem is true, then there must be drivers out there for the 600 range that work this way. I obviously just dont have them :( I should say my router isn't a prestige 600 (there's no such thing) it's a Prestige 623R-T1.

Do you have a BT CD Kdjac? Or where did you get your original info from?

Advertisement