Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WooHoo got my trainee diver :)

• 27-02-2006 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Done my 5th snorkel today, in which I did the 3 x 6m duck dives, im delighted, finally got my Trainee Diver ... Just gotta get a medical during the week and im ready for the bottle! (So to speak)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Congrats. and welcome to the lunatic fringe!

We're the only group who look forward to going down to Heaven!!

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Congrates. And here the obsession begins, hope you bought shares in a big company :-) Must have been nasty doing snorkles this time of year, coast around kerry at the moment is very bad viz, but who cares I guess when its only get wet snorkles, Whats your plans for Equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I was snorkling off Ballyconnel in Sligo, viz was about 8 metres - not too bad for this time of year.

As for equipment: Already have a new mask, snorkel & fins. I have a 7/5 Titanium lined semi-dry suit.

My gf's brother just went back to thailand and left all his dive gear here, he said I can have whatevers there for 200euro. Had a look last weekend and theres a BC & reg (Think thats what ya call it? The conector from the tank with the mouthpiece, spare mouthpiece and gauges) ... Not bad for 200yoyos eh??

All I need now is a tank, im sure ill get one somewhere 2nd hand. I'm gonna get all the gear serviced before I use it though, don't want a free flowing mouthpiece now do we...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

JohnCleary wrote:
    don't want a free flowing mouthpiece now do we...

This always happens to me after about 5/6 beers. Service agent says there's nothing he can do.

JohnCleary wrote:
    Had a look last weekend and theres a BC & reg (Think thats what ya call it? The conector from the tank with the mouthpiece, spare mouthpiece and gauges) ... Not bad for 200yoyos eh??

All I need now is a tank, im sure ill get one somewhere 2nd hand. I'm gonna get all the gear serviced before I use it though, don't want a free flowing mouthpiece now do we...

So at the moment, we will start with the correct words for the bits, you have
    1. BC
    2. First Stage (Bit that connects to the bottle)
    3. 2ND Stage (Bit with the Mountpeace)
    4. Contents Gauges & Dept gauges,

Do you have an octopus? A Second Regulator with yellow marking usually
    Weight belt,

With regards to the tanks, I got two 12Ltr Tanks in the last week or so, in order to set up a twin set, I got them both for 140 Euro so 70 each, I have problem straight off as i found out that the threads on the piller valve are different to the manifold i have to connect both together, they are out of test about 1 month or so and ill prob have to sell them if your interested in them PM me, Im from Kerry, but ill be in athlone the weekend. If you want new tanks, Diver warehouse in the UK i found was the best i bought 2X Dumpy 12ltrs and a 15ltrs for just a shy of €500 euro's deliverd just to give you an estimate on costs normally in ireland dumpy 12ltrs are €250 each

hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Voodoo2 wrote:
    So at the moment, we will start with the correct words for the bits, you have
    1. BC
    2. First Stage (Bit that connects to the bottle)
    3. 2ND Stage (Bit with the Mountpeace)
    4. Contents Gauges & Dept gauges,

Do you have an octopus? A Second Regulator with yellow marking usually
    Weight belt,

With regards to the tanks, I got two 12Ltr Tanks in the last week or so, in order to set up a twin set, I got them both for 140 Euro so 70 each, I have problem straight off as i found out that the threads on the piller valve are different to the manifold i have to connect both together, they are out of test about 1 month or so and ill prob have to sell them if your interested in them PM me, Im from Kerry, but ill be in athlone the weekend. If you want new tanks, Diver warehouse in the UK i found was the best i bought 2X Dumpy 12ltrs and a 15ltrs for just a shy of €500 euro's deliverd just to give you an estimate on costs normally in ireland dumpy 12ltrs are €250 each

hope this helps

Thats mate, cleared a bit up there. I have everything you listed there. I should know the proper names for stuff as it was taught to us in the lecture just last week :eek:

Ill take pics of the threads of the thread on the 1st stage during the weekend. I want to ask my lecturer whether I should get a 12lt or 15lt bottle. I realise that as a novice diver ill use much more air than than an experienced diver

JohnCleary wrote:
    Thats mate, cleared a bit up there. I have everything you listed there. I should know the proper names for stuff as it was taught to us in the lecture just last week :eek:

Ill take pics of the threads of the thread on the 1st stage during the weekend. I want to ask my lecturer whether I should get a 12lt or 15lt bottle. I realise that as a novice diver ill use much more air than than an experienced diver

There is no need to take pics , the threads i was talking about was internal in the bottle itself, once you have any 1st stage it will fit any bottle. what i was talking about was a bit of reconstruction work on my bottles but i cant do that now Check out this it will show you the connections http://www.answers.com/topic/diving-cylinder

To behonest I have always dived with a 12ltr unless i need to, a 15ltrs is too heavy you will be quiet hard on air the first 2-3 dives this is normal, my advice is 12ltrs I only use the 15ltr for Wrecks or anything over 25mtrs as a safety margin,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Hey Voodoo2, diving has already begun here in Kerry! Why are you snorkelling? Viz 6m last Sunday at 23m.

Musta bin away from de divin for a while ...

Ya gotta get active man!!

Seadeuce

seadeuce wrote:
    Hey Voodoo2, diving has already begun here in Kerry! Why are you snorkelling? Viz 6m last Sunday at 23m.

Musta bin away from de divin for a while ...

Ya gotta get active man!!

Seadeuce

Already been diving 6-7 times this month so cant get anymore active then that @ this time of the year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Voodoo2 wrote:
    With regards to the tanks, I got two 12Ltr Tanks in the last week or so, in order to set up a twin set, I got them both for 140 Euro so 70 each, I have problem straight off as i found out that the threads on the piller valve are different to the manifold i have to connect both together,

Why dont you make indie's for the time being while you sort out a matching pair of cylinders for a manifolded set. Just a though, I did this for a while to get used to em & better my gas management discipline and reg swapping.

• Advertisement

Why dont you make indie's for the time being while you sort out a matching pair of cylinders for a manifolded set. Just a though, I did this for a while to get used to em & better my gas management discipline and reg swapping.

Good Idea need another reg then.. oh excuses excuses to buy more gadgets :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Voodoo2 wrote:
    Good Idea need another reg then.. oh excuses excuses to buy more gadgets :-)

But you need two regs with either indies or a manifold twinset. Anyway spoil yourself and buy something nice a shinny.:D

Advertisement