Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cant sleep well help

• 27-02-2006 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been sleeping terrible lately. 5 hrs a night. Big dreams. Last night I fell out of the bed and woke up catching myself before I hit the floor. I sleep with an eye mask. I dont drink caffeine past 11 am and I excresize.

There doesnt seem to be a detrimental effect except that I feel more emotional during the day than Id like to due to not enough rest.

What do you do when you cant sleep and you want to cry?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Hi there,

I posted on another thread in this forum things you can do.

But main thing you can do is just stick to your routine. Go to bed everynight at you normal time and get up at you normal time whatever amount of sleep you do or don't get. This should help you get you body back in sync.

Check out the other thread for tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭peterwilson

Give up the caffiene altogether!

And its a weird one but try tilting your head back when in bed.

Works a charm for me!

pw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I know the feeling

I am the worlds worst sleeper, i feel that time asleep is time wasted. Rembmer the human brain needs 7 hours to function co-herantly.

There are a few things that you should look into. The main one which seems to be something that you should look into is what you are eating. Have you ever heard the expression 'dont eat apples before bed'? There was a study done that said the most effective way to wake you up in the morning, is to eat an apple - i've started to eat one every morning, and i feel great during the day now. Apples release some chemicals that make your brain wake up and go hyper. If you eat anything with apples in it before bed, your brain will react, and try stay awake, also, when you go to sleep, your now hyper active brain will be bored, and try to keep busy, so it will project a dream.

My advice is stay away from apple juice, or any juice fullstop (sometimes they have apple extract in them, even in orange juice). After say 8/9 stop all together eating. With you having an apple early in the day, your brain will do most of the work early on and be tired.

I get the feeling you are like me, no matter how battered or bruised or worn out your body is, you can stay awake, simply because you know there is stuff you could be doing right then and there because you have the mental power to cope with it.

So why dont you try just having a serious mental workout? If your not in college or school, why not take up a new acedemic hobby? something completely random, just once you can learn from it. Theres no point in forcing yourself to sleep, it doesnt work, you have to get mentally tired and want/need to sleep.

Im in a band, i play alot of music, were getting good and i want to know what can lie ahead for us. My friend got me a book on the business side of music, and i read that every night (im finished it now, but its an example). I never read before bed, but as of late, i've started picking anything up that relates to something i am interested in, and im reading before bed - 10/15 pages into the book, BAM, its lights out.

My logic towards reading making me sleep, is that it slows down my breathing and gives me a good mental work out. The less oxygen you take into your blood stream, the harder it is for your brain to function (hence you going brain dead if you dont breath).

If your having nightmares, it has to be something in your diet and the fact your not using your brain enough (i dont mean that in a bad way).

I sleep like a baby, and no longer have bad dreams.

I hope this helps you out, coz i made a post on this a while back and got no information that really helped me dispite really good ideas. You have to figure it out yourself, everyone is different, and thats what worked for me.

Keep us updated, i know the hell your talking about, and it does seriously effect your emotions and worse, your attitude to other people.

Best of luck mate

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

red ice,

I think youve hit the nail on the head. I don't have enough brain workouts. Also my diet and excerisies have been so good lately i have more energy than i know what to do with. I dont drink any fruit juices. All I drink is water.

Physically im fine and have gobs of energy its the emotional fatigue that is trying.

Yes I will try more reading and see how that works. Thanks for all your advice. Its good stuff.

This kind if insomnia is a mixed blessing I think.

Advertisement