Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL in Ballsbridge

• 27-02-2006 3:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in Pembroke Road, in Ballsbridge.

I got NTL installed about 3 weeks ago.

It's a NTL 3mb down 300 k up connection. Upstream the speed is fine. Downstream the speed is rarely higher than 200kbps, and will very occassionally burst to about 325. It doesn't seem like a 3meg connection with a 17:1 contention ratio.

But the speed is ok, however, the quality of the connection, seems to be ****e.

In practice, it seems like I have to reset my cable modem every 30 minutes - 2 hours, which in my opinion is WAY TOO MUCH. I also suspect that the low quality of connection is also causing problems on my blueface account, which is sometimes barely usable.

It's an NTL 250 modem. Anyone have similar experiences, or tips to get a better quality of connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

That sounds bad. I would say NAG NTL to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

turbot wrote:
    I live in Pembroke Road, in Ballsbridge.

Hey Turbot,

I live just around the corner from you and my NTL has been perfect since the day I got it. It seems like it must be a problem specific to you and you'll have to get in contact with NTL. Unfortunately, from what I hear, their tech support is an absolute joke, so you may be in for a frustrating few weeks.

Make sure to check your machine for spyware and viruses first though as they could be connecting to the internet and using up bandwidth. Otherwise, good luck with NTL support :(.

Serb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Well I have to say my experience of NTL support was... great.

I called up and described what was happening:

Slow speeds, regular drop outs

They said it sounds like there is noise on the line

Sent out an engineer the next day, who arrived on time.
    He came in, tested it briefly, called his senior engineer, who arrived within 30 minutes.

They tested several lines with some decent kit, discovered one on the outside of my building was below par, and said they'd come back later this week when they had a long enough ladder to sort it out. In the meantime they made some adjustments so my modem would work better and be more stable.

So far so good. I was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

First off, Call NTL

Secondly, if it averages 200k anyway then how is it the connections fault if your VOIP is dodgy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

To update everyone, thumbs up to NTL.

They have delivered. After their initial call out, within a week they came out with 2 engineers, one of whom seemed even more senior than the last.

They replaced a line going into the building I'm in, and a junction box of some kind, et voila, it's very stable, and plenty fast.

So I'm now a very happy customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

turbot wrote:
    To update everyone, thumbs up to NTL.

They have delivered. After their initial call out, within a week they came out with 2 engineers, one of whom seemed even more senior than the last.

They replaced a line going into the building I'm in, and a junction box of some kind, et voila, it's very stable, and plenty fast.

So I'm now a very happy customer.

Impressive. I personally have never had to call them but anyone I know who did said it was a nightmare.

Advertisement