Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows constantly rebooting

• 27-02-2006 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy's

Ok.. little bit of bother!

I installed autopatcher the full dec and the feb update at the weekend all was ok until i rebooted my PC. before the install there was no security patches so i seen it as a handy way of getting them all and then going online.

since the reboot when ever i try to start up i get a far as it is about to bring up the log on box but then it suddenly decides to restart itself again and again and again

i then thought maybe this was an issue with the patches and it needed to reboot multiple times so i left it on overnight.. no luck still in the rebooting cycle almost 8 hrs later!!

i have tried to go in using safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration etc.. tried it all still no luck as it just does the reboot in these modes too

i then started up and checked bios settings all ok there.. then started and booted (via cd) into the windows recovery console and ran FIXBOOT and FIX MBR

still no luck!!! :mad:

i am willing to wipe and start again except there is one crucial file on the program files section of the c: drive that i need and (silly me) i havent it backed up anywhere else!!

any ideas on what to do from here either to get the file off the machine or to resolve the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

are you sure you didn't change the hard drive lately, it sounds to me like it can't find the registry, this can happen if it mistakes the d drive for the system drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

no havent changed the HD lately.. but the autopatcher did update some settings in the registery.. and of course i didnt back up the change before installing the updates..

is there anyway of re-installing without removing the contents of the program files folder? cos the file i need is in there and ten i can do a format and reinstall everything again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

tommycahir wrote:
    before the install there was no security patches so i seen it as a handy way of getting them all and then going online.

1. If you had no updates and you downloaded the autopatcher designed to work with Service pack 2 then it might have caused this i think.

2. If you had SP2, you might have needed to restart the machine after applying the full dec patch before you could apply the february updates.

You could use a linux bootcd to gain access to the machine and save the file to floppy/cd/usb key.

There is also an option to repair your registry but only if you have a repair folder in your windows directory, instructions can be found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

when booting the pc go to start windows with last known working configuration.
    when in install service pack 2.

Its not a registry problem as if it couldnt find the registry and the backup registry file you wouldn't get as far as the log on screen.

if that still doesn't work you will need to do a windows repair. but i would keep that as a last resort.

Another option would be when booting using last known good config go into system restore and restore to a point before the updates and then install/re install sp2

it wont let me get as far as the log in screen - it looks as if it is just about to bring it up but then it suddenly reboot's -

am thinking of using an emergeny boot cd - Emergeny boot cd

can anybody recommend a good linux boot cd that i could use

or does anybody know that if i just reinstall the the os on the same partition with out formatting will it leave the program files folder alone and just install the windows stuff in the windows folder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Question:
    1. Did you have SP2 installed?
    2. What version of the Autopatcher did you download?

I ask the above qestions so that when you get the system back up and running you don't have the same problem.

Try running chkdsk on the HD from the recovery console.It can surprisingly fix some boot problems. You will need your XP cd. Instructions can be found in the article i linked in my previous post.

If that fails:
    I understand that you are unable to get as far as the login screen so you are unable to perform a system restore. The link i provided in my previous post is the manual way for returning to a previous restore point. Please try it out. It will not delete any files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

tommycahir wrote:

can anybody recommend a good linux boot cd that i could use

knoppix is a good one
    or does anybody know that if i just reinstall the the os on the same partition with out formatting will it leave the program files folder alone and just install the windows stuff in the windows folder?

i think it does leave the program files folder alone but cant be sure - i wouldnt risk it if i were you

why dont you just whip out the drive and put it in another pc as a second drive - that way you can just copy over anything you like - its a 10 minute job, opeining the cases is the hardest bit - if you dont know how then all you do is unplug the drive, make sure the jumper is set to either slave or cs(cable select) and plug it into the slave plug on the cable of the other pc - you dont even need to screw it in place or replace the cover as long as you dont let it move too much - when you boot it will be there in my computer - just bum your dad, son, friend, boss etc's pc
    personally i would scan their pc with a good up to date virus tool after just in case you had anything

tip:once or twice doing this has caused me a minor prob with freezing mouse on the host pc afterwards - but i have always been able to fix it in a jiffie using system resore - so make sure it's on before you start

ok Problem resolved

Took the drive out and dropped it into the spare PC that i had lieing around with another fresh install of XP, which automatically picked up the new drive and whipped the file off of it( phew! )

That teaches me a lesson not to install autopatcher again!

I had service pack 2 and the full december 2005 version of autopatcher.

Think ill just geta good firewall, adware scanner and AVG and run those and then get the updates from M$ update site.

Now to get to the lovely task of re-installing windows again!

thanks for the advice guy's i appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

good firewall, adware scanner and AVG

Kerio firewall

Hitman Pro for adware\malware. Although ewido is good too, but not free.
    Would do no harm to install windows "defender" too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

I know its a bit late in the day , but you had a Trojan
    It crashed your winlogon.exe everytime you started

I had the same thing recently , took me 6 hours to fix it . Royal pain in the ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Again after the fact and glad to hear your problem seems to have cleared up.
    Suggest making an image if you can or at very least a backup of the system.

This is the biggest sin of many, many computer users - no backup at all. With a regular backup then the reinstall becomes less of a pain.

My own rule on it is that if I can't crack it inside an hour, I get the data off and format and reinstall the OS. At that stage I will have checked most things. Now I know it is vaguely intersting to find out what exotic trojan caused the hassle but in the main it is the lack of protection that allows them to burrow their way onto the system in the first place. Be safe, always use protection. :rolleyes:

Advertisement