Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent Help Needed - Cat Converter Failure

Options
  • 27-02-2006 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi Guys,

I need some advice. I have a 2002 Seat Ibiza (New Model), bought it decemeber 2002 so it's on the road just over 3 years. It was fairly sluggish for a week or 2 so i brought it to a Seat service center and got it serviced, it was still sluggish, so i brought it back 3 more times to the same garage, each time they said thet could not find a problem, they told me to wait until it got worse and then come back. So about 5 days after that i was driving on the M50 when a light flashed up on my dash, i check the manual and it said Electrics failure in engine!!!! I brought it back to the garage the following day. They now tell me that i need to replace the Cat Converter. This seems alarming for a 4 year old car with only 24k Miles on the clock. Any ideas if i have a leg to stand on regarding warranty on the Cat? The car warranty was only 2 years, so i'm outside of that? Am i right in saying the warranty on the cat should be longer that 2 years? i found some info on google but nothing specific. Any help appreciated..

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is a wear item so it would be unlikely that it was covered by your warranty anyhow.
    What you should do is find out if there were any emission based recalls for your car. Then research similar cases using google. If a pattern emerges then contact Seat.
    However, I presume you will need to pay for it yourself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bad news this. A cat is a very expensive item. Bad luck.

Ask Seat will they contribute to the cost on an ex gratia basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kmcgrane

Not the replies i was hoping for, but cheers anyway. I have contacted the garage and asked them to contact seat about a goodwill gesture, not expecting good news though. €851 to get it replaced... 610 for the part....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It would be worth your while shopping around for a cat from the likes of GSF car parts and get a non franchised garage to fit it. I priced cats before and the price of a cat was hundreds cheaper than what the main dealer was charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

my friend is the manager of a fast fit (kwik fit) & he was telling me that they replace more cats on VW(seat etc) cars than any other make:eek:
    common fault with VW's i believe.
    shop around & don't pay main dealer prices would be a good bit of advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kmcgrane

Thanks for the help lads. I just got a quote from Fast Fit in Finglas for 250 euro, so Seat Finglas can kiss my Ass.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A decent price. Well done.

Advertisement