Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes for the 'Ents' candidates!

Options
  • 27-02-2006 10:13am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

i've had a few manifestos foisted upon me this morning in Eng 321, as well as littering the general area but i digress already...
    • We DO NOT need yet another new P.A. system in the student bar. A very good one was fitted two years ago at over 10,000 Euros by Martin Audio for both 'live' (2-channel) and 'club' (surround) mode as well as doing the TV and jukebox. We've now got a better system than Trinners, DCU and most venues in town. If the current candidates did their research they wouldn't be wasting time and cash on this again.
    • Try thinking beyond 'beers and guitars' for musical entertainment. Electronic genres (esp house, dance, techno) are still ignored by the SU in general.
    • Let's get the forum bar right this time. Let's get the decor, lighting and most importantly the sound right this time before sinking more cash into it.
    • Drop the nonsense about a huge Spring Break thing. Put down stuff you can deliver on in your manifesto, people know bull**** when they see it.
    • From the last point, DO NOT claim to organise a UCD ball unless you think you can do it. There's no way a UCD ball AND spring break are financially viable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Red Alert, I can only assume you are referring to Enda Donohue's manifesto!

I've just had a read of it!.....it's hilarious!.....there's so much bs in it and absolutely nothing concrete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 getyourENDAway

First of all thanks for taking the time to look at my manifesto!!!!

As for your first point, about the P.A System in the Student Bar, I ran many gigs for Sonic Arts Nights and the system is terrible, with many top bands refusing to play there because the P.A. system is not up to standard!!!

Second of all, if you read the bit about looking for sponsorship for the website, you will see that the money from that can be put back into ENTs i.e. the Spring Break AND the UCD Ball. The Spring Break is a theme for Rag Week. It's not any more implausible than any other ideas that other societies organise for a week long festival i.e. Fresher's Week.

"Enda believes that the ENTs website is not being used to its full potential. Enda intends to give the website a complete overhaul, making it more functional, practical, and useful. Enda believes that if we allow companies to advertise on the website, the money can be pumped right back into ENTs,to provide bigger and better acts at cheaper prices!"

As for electronic music, I present an electronic music show on Belfield FM. The very presence of this show indicates that there is very much an audience for this genre of music in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

& your surname is Duffy!

Sheesh guys, get it right at least!
    It's astonishing how many people will b!tch & moan about the lack of entertainment & do nothing more than b!tch & moan instead of actually doing something about it, like helping to set up or poster or offer their assistance in any way.

Yes the union gets paid, but it's your union, the idea is to get involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 getyourENDAway

My name is Enda Donohoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

you'd need 6months - year of webtraffic stats suggesting you have decent traffic on the site before you'd get anywhere near enough sponsorship to run a decent event.

Does it get much traffic now? I'd doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

My name is Enda Donohoe
    O_o....
    Different Enda?
    Sorry bout that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yes the union gets paid, but it's your union, the idea is to get involved!

I pay the union so I don't have to get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Red Alert wrote:
    Electronic genres (esp house, dance, techno) are still ignored by the SU in general.

There's a reason for that :p

I kid ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sorry but the previous system was replaced because the Frames did not like it. In fairness it was loud but otherwise not very good.

The current system was installed as I said earlier at a cost of roughly 10 Grand in September 2004. The manufacturer supplies many niteclubs, live Venues and retail outlets (notably a|wear). Take it from an expert that the equipment is top notch. Unlike the old system it's got adequete power for the venue.

The student bar's natural acoustics are pretty crap which does not help. It also seems many people (including the Bar managers who turn off the main speakers for jukebox/TV) don't understand how to make best use of the multi-speaker layout of the system. Of course it won't perform as well as it could if people are ignorant in how to use it. It's quite odd that Sonic Arts finds the system problematic - it's a real powerhouse and does really shine for DJ use. Apart from my own opinion on the matter I'm also backed up by a fellow DJ of House Music who would see even less fault with it that I would. What band dislikes our system now?

If the Frames or anyone else don't like our system then that's their problem. If they want to diss our venue then they've no business coming here. As an EE student and someone who's played with many sound systems over the years you won't get better for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

2 channel system for live bands ? :o

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i meant 'stereo' main mix as opposed to 'surround' where the extra fill-in speakers along the side walls work also.

the've a 32-channel desk for live sound AFAIK.

Advertisement